Why become a member? ×

When will you start gigging again?

julietgreen

On 01/10/2020 at 10:20, Chienmortbb said:

69 in December and will stop whne no one wants me anymore.

Depending on the band, the type of band and gigs you play ageing can get weird. I'm 67 and I notice  the punters approach the other band members before me. They're all in their 30s 

Blue

1599520768632~5.jpg

• Like 1

Well, after a 7 month hiatus and 3 false starts it looks like the band's first gig will be this coming Saturday.  Local WMC, socially distanced and all done for 10pm.  It will be odd playing to a sit down crowd but anything is appreciated after this length of time. 

Edited by martthebass
  • Like 3

We played last week social club socially distanced all seated one set went on at 8.20 to 9.30 packed up and out by 10 home by 10.30 could get used to this 😂😂.

gig arranged  through our drummers girl friend whose dad is in charge there , they normally only have solo artists. Not our audience at all really as the age range was probably 50 - 75. 

Wasn’t looking forward to it at all thought we would be too loud for them and thought we didn’t have the correct sort of repertoire although we have a really eclectic mix we do a lot of indie stuff as that’s our usual audience.

to be honest I couldn’t have been more wrong they were up for it from 1st song obviously no dancing , but lots of singing along which isn’t strictly allowed. I got the impression they were just happy to have some sort of normality and were determined to enjoy it.

thoroughly enjoyable evening great to play live only the 4th time since lockdown forgotten how much I enjoy gigging and miss playing every week. 

Cant see anything else happening till next year unfortunately as all our gigs have been cancelled up to end of November, expecting all December gigs to go the same way 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, peety said:

to be honest I couldn’t have been more wrong they were up for it from 1st song obviously no dancing , but lots of singing along which isn’t strictly allowed. I got the impression they were just happy to have some sort of normality and were determined to enjoy it.

Brilliant, I do think folks just like to see some live music, it's as good for them as it is for the musicians getting a chance to play...

On 06/10/2020 at 17:14, peety said:

We played last week social club socially distanced all seated one set went on at 8.20 to 9.30 packed up and out by 10 home by 10.30 could get used to this 😂😂.

gig arranged  through our drummers girl friend whose dad is in charge there , they normally only have solo artists. Not our audience at all really as the age range was probably 50 - 75. 

Wasn’t looking forward to it at all thought we would be too loud for them and thought we didn’t have the correct sort of repertoire although we have a really eclectic mix we do a lot of indie stuff as that’s our usual audience.

thoroughly enjoyable evening great to play live only the 4th time since lockdown forgotten how much I enjoy gigging and miss playing every week. 

Cant see anything else happening till next year unfortunately as all our gigs have been cancelled up to end of November, expecting all December gigs to go the same way 

Its easy to forget that the age group 50-75 lived thru 60-70's music scene. You're talking everything from the Beatles to Jimi Hendrix, to Floyd and Genesis. And don't forget the 70's chart hits by bands like Sweet, T.Rex, Bowie, Alice Cooper, Steve Harley, Slade, Bay City Rollers. You then had punk & funk thrown in. It was a great time to be a teenager.

There was such a wide variation of music styles when they were young that it has probably given that age group (i include myself in this) a more open acceptance of most musical styles. 

Just my own experience of course but i play in a 70's Glam Rock covers band and our audience age varies from 20's thru to 70's (typically 40-60's) but they all get up and dance and enjoy the music

Great to hear some bands are starting to gig. Nice one.

Dave 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, jezzaboy said:

Well thanks to "wee Nicola" and her bunch of wacko`s I think our next gig is pencilled in for the 33 rd of Julember next year. :sad:

At my age i'd rather be safe than dead. Its a bummer trying to play when your fingers are disintegrating. :laugh1:

We are now looking at mid 2021 before things pick up.

Of course a vaccine can't be far away now that Donald Trump has been cured. :laugh1: 

Dave

Edited by dmccombe7
  • Like 4

4 hours ago, dmccombe7 said:

Just my own experience of course but i play in a 70's Glam Rock covers band and our audience age varies from 20's thru to 70's (typically 40-60's) but they all get up and dance and enjoy the music

First gig in our 70s Glam Rock band this weekend Dave (BoJo permitting), not sure how it will work for this genre in a socially distanced/no dancing setting?

• Like 1

Just now, dmccombe7 said:

Wish you all the best @martthebass Hopefully you can post some pics or vids for us Glammers.

Dave

Do my best mate, just checking all the wigs and glam gear hasn't been attacked by moths!  Had the first rehearsal in months last night, interesting, lol.  Took me 20 minutes to get used to my shorty Mustangs after 7 months of playing my EBMMs. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, martthebass said:

Do my best mate, just checking all the wigs and glam gear hasn't been attacked by moths!  Had the first rehearsal in months last night, interesting, lol.  Took me 20 minutes to get used to my shorty Mustangs after 7 months of playing my EBMMs. 

Lets see the Mustangs. Don't recall any pics.

We have a rehearsal booked 18th Oct 12-6pm but not sure if it will go ahead way things are going at moment.

Dave

1 hour ago, dmccombe7 said:

Lets see the Mustangs. Don't recall any pics.

We have a rehearsal booked 18th Oct 12-6pm but not sure if it will go ahead way things are going at moment.

Dave

Just the JMJ and MW Mustangs left from this group Dave, the Trevor Bolderesque red one was sold to support purchase of the JMJ. Of the 2 left, the JMJ has the more authentic tone but the MW is glittery and after nearly 150 gigs with Glam Fever  just feels right.

C3A88705-3B14-4C99-980A-F902389AE8AD.jpeg

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, martthebass said:

Just the JMJ and MW Mustangs left from this group Dave, the Trevor Bolderesque red one was sold to support purchase of the JMJ. Of the 2 left, the JMJ has the more authentic tone but the MW is glittery and after nearly 150 gigs with Glam Fever  just feels right.

C3A88705-3B14-4C99-980A-F902389AE8AD.jpeg

Whats the JJ and MW mean. ?

10 hours ago, dmccombe7 said:

Its easy to forget that the age group 50-75 lived thru 60-70's music scene.

I'm in the second half of my 50s and definitely don't consider myself past listening to 'popular music'.

I remember discussing music with a mate who was over the years older than me.

I kind of assumed he wouldn't be into rock music.

Then he told me about seeing Jimi Hendrix at the isle of Wight Festival.

Put me in my place...

53 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

Afraid i had to google them :laugh1:

What do you think of the Mustang bass. Are they short scale basses

Dave

I love em Dave, I used to use a Status Streamline when I was in an 80s band and loved the compactness and ease of using on a small stage. It clearly didn’t fit in with the glam look so I tried a few short scales. The MW was chosen for the looks but I’ve found it a great gigging bass despite its humble origins, in fact I prefer it to the much more expensive JMJ as it balances better. I occasionally take Dano Longhorn as backup instead of the JMJ but that one is much more sensitive to lighting/electrical interference you get in some clubs.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dmccombe7 said:

Afraid i had to google them :laugh1:

What do you think of the Mustang bass. Are they short scale basses

Dave

I don’t own one, but I’ve been tempted by them recently after hearing a Serek SS on a David Byrne live video. Not being able to justify the cost of a Serek, I tried a few short scales at my local GG. The JMJ Mustang is marvellous, a proper vintage sounding and feeling P bass in a smaller package. If I can move my Maruszczyk Jake along, I can see a JMJ Mustang in my future. 

On 30/09/2020 at 06:51, FinnDave said:

two of the people in the band have had C 19 and don't want to see anyone else suffer from it, and another is a GP, and so takes social distancing, etc. seriously.

You could call yourself Dr Don’tfeeltoogood😉

• Haha 1

Well, first gig in 7 months went without a hitch. Good social distancing and well organised. Amazingly we were on good form despite only meeting up 3 times since March, though I felt I was on autopilot on occasion. It blew out the cobwebs though and made us all feel a lot better. No dancing but an appreciative seated crowd. Next gig at the end of the month on a similar 9:30 finish WMC basis - assuming they don’t lock us down.....

1256BBC3-40E6-43EA-A1B0-93831155ADB0.jpeg

• Like 3

2 hours ago, martthebass said:

Well, first gig in 7 months went without a hitch. Good social distancing and well organised. Amazingly we were on good form despite only meeting up 3 times since March, though I felt I was on autopilot on occasion. It blew out the cobwebs though and made us all feel a lot better. No dancing but an appreciative seated crowd. Next gig at the end of the month on a similar 9:30 finish WMC basis - assuming they don’t lock us down.....

1256BBC3-40E6-43EA-A1B0-93831155ADB0.jpeg

Nice one @martthebass good to see you guys back on stage again. Is that first gig with Mustang basses ?

Dave