Why become a member? ×

When will you start gigging again?

julietgreen

19 minutes ago, BigRedX said:

TBH I can't see it happening any time soon. Members of both my bands are either at risk themselves or have immediate family at risk, so we are not even rehearsing. 

Yes I was shielding too. There are two rooms one quite small, this is the one we used to use. THe main hall where we were yesterday is huge and we can have the windows open. After we have finished we have to leave time to clean the hall floor (spray with disinfectant cleaner then mop), the toiklets and the kitchen. All door handles are wiped before we leave. It takes half an hour but its worth it to play again. Whether we will get any more sessions soon, is anyone's guess.

• Like 2

Nothing planned for the rest of the year. We have a finished album which is currently being mastered and then released. We thought about sitting on the album until things go back to 'normal' but there is no prospect of normal returning any time soon. So we are just going to release it and do a limited vinyl and CD pressing or a couple of hundred units, which should hopefully sell out amongst our existing fanbase. 

Gigs or rehearsals are just not on the agenda at the minute. Maybe next year. 

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, BigRedX said:

TBH I can't see it happening any time soon. Members of both my bands are either at risk themselves or have immediate family at risk, so we are not even rehearsing. 

Sadly that is the same with my two bands. There is almost no live music in my area at all except for a few outdoor gigs and some attempts to try to get some indoor gigs at some point in the future but with limited audience sizes and a tightening of bar and restaurant hours in Ontario as of this last weekend as Covid cases increase I can't see much happening for a long time, well into 2021 I think. All of our gigs have been cancelled for the rest of this year. Some of us of rather advanced age are wondering if our gigging days are done but I am trying to stay optimistic and practice almost every day for at least a few minutes, but as all of you know it is hard to stay motivated with no gigs in sight.

Edited by Staggering on
  • Sad 1

I have no idea when gigs will start again, but in the last two days I've had two bands ask me if I'm available. Seems people are wanting to get their shtuff together for when things do open up again. I've also got my own project together, starting this week, with the aim of setting up a good band doing decent songs and seeing where it goes. If it gets going we will work on doing recordings of some covers and putting them out on Facebook etc to get some momentum for when gigs happen again. Luckily we are all on the same page, accepting that there's probably no money in it. 

• Like 1

We’ve just had our last two gigs for this year cancelled; one in the north-east as they were struggling to make live gigs viable with the reduced capacity and another (that we thought probably would have gone ahead) when the 10pm closing time was announced. More worryingly, another in February has almost certainly gone as the venue (an established circuit gig with a capacity of 700) is on the point of going bust.

All the places that cancelled gigs this year were pushing to rearrange for next year, but now they seem to be holding off to see how things develop. It’s going to be weird for gigs next year, with many venues going bust and others trying to rearrange all the bands they have had to cancel this year. 

• Sad 2

My guess is that, regardless of whether or not a 'magic bullet' vaccine suddenly emerges, 2021 is already FUBAR and there will be no return to normality before 2022.

I don't like it, I'm not happy about it, I wish it weren't so, but I feel that I'll be better placed to weather the storm if I just accept that this is the way it is and I have to deal with it. :dash1:

• Like 4

17th of October, which brings this year's gig count to a dizzying ONE!!

Can't frickin' wait - dipping for a band I've played with before. It's just covers, but an eclectic mix of reggae, 80's synth pop, a bit of rock etc... and loads of chaotic tomfoolery.

• Like 1

I went to my local for a cheap dinner last night and got quite annoyed.

Two of the main reasons in the guidelines for not having live music in pubs are social distancing and mitigating the risk of droplet spread caused by raised voices of people singing along.

It appears however, that it's perfectly find for pubs to show big screen football matches and for viewers to huddle up, shout, cheer and jeer without intervention.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

56 minutes ago, Greg Edwards69 said:

Two of the main reasons in the guidelines for not having live music in pubs are social distancing and mitigating the risk of droplet spread caused by raised voices of people singing along.

It appears however, that it's perfectly find for pubs to show big screen football matches and for viewers to huddle up, shout, cheer and jeer without intervention.

And they wonder how its spreading ..........DOH !!!!

Dave

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

And they wonder how its spreading ..........DOH !!!!

Dave

1 hour ago, Greg Edwards69 said:

well they're not following the rules, that aside only 3-4% of infections are happening in pubs and restaurants, which makes Bojo's obsession with clamping down on them just look vindictive, I'm still trying to figure out what good the 10pm closing rule does

9 minutes ago, PaulWarning said:

well they're not following the rules, that aside only 3-4% of infections are happening in pubs and restaurants, which makes Bojo's obsession with clamping down on them just look vindictive, I'm still trying to figure out what good the 10pm closing rule does

Bojo is being Mr Nasty having fracked up everything else to do with Covid. 

The false positive debate is interesting    for example  

37 minutes ago, PaulWarning said:

well they're not following the rules, that aside only 3-4% of infections are happening in pubs and restaurants, 

I wasn't aware there was a scientific study showing the percentage splits of where infections are occurring - can you provide a link please?

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, paul_c2 said:

I wasn't aware there was a scientific study showing the percentage splits of where infections are occurring - can you provide a link please?

I know it's the mailonline https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8784629/Boris-Johnson-faces-furious-Tory-mutiny-sneaking-Orwellian-Covid-lockdown-laws.html

you have to scroll down to find the pie charts

1 hour ago, PaulWarning said:

It makes people go the pi55 earlier?

This weekend i have my first gig since March 13.

It's an outdoor one in the beer garden of a pub with limited table seating etc, doing an hour set of classic rock stuff with three other like-minded musicians all right up for playing live.

If the weather turns we may well end up indoors, so packing masks etc in case.

It'll be nice to actually finally play the Genz Benz cab i bought here during lockdown. Normally i'm happy to use whatever backline is there, but i'll make an exception this time. Rehearsed last night (again, socially distanced in a big room) and it was euphoric to make a right royal racket again.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, PaulWarning said:

Putting to one side you've quoted the Daily Mail as a scientific source (indirectly), you've made the mistake of not quoting YOUR OWN reference properly. The figures are 13 Sept: 3.20%; 20 Sept: 4.9% and you've rounded down to whole numbers of 3-4%; had you rounded it properly, 3-->5% it would have given a different impression - that infections in pubs/restaurants are rising quite significantly.

Its also notable its only for "outbreaks" - I'm guessing there is a threshold, above which the number of infections is defined as an outbreak. Semi-useful, I guess.

Anyway, getting back to the point, I welcome the call for justification for restricting pubs to 10pm closing but I do agree there is an unintended consequence of doing so; and no easy way to refine the rule. However its a "behavioural science" area for a unique new virus so there won't necessarily be evidence (just theory and what little we have so far). Its not easy to do - far easier to simply bash the government. Whether it gets worse or better; and if it gets worse what the next step is (personally I think fully closing pubs again is around the corner but I don't wish it on anyone).

I think sooner or later, they'll need to choose between a full return of students to unis; OR pubs remaining open.

• Like 1