Why become a member? ×

When will you start gigging again?

julietgreen

The Rule Of Six thing put paid to a couple of indoor gigs we had just been given, our first post-Lockdown to be played indoors, but they at least had the effect of focusing the mind of one particular band member who had been holding back from agreeing to playing indoors.

He has significant health issues that I do not suffer from, so the band's response to whether or not to play had to be entirely (and quite justifiably) built around how he and his wife felt.

He had just reached the conclusion that he can't keep his life on hold forever and was willing to gig when it got cancelled.

On t'other hand, and by sheer coincidence, we have since picked up three outdoors gigs in seven days (next Sunday and the following Sat/Sun). Which is nice.

been asked to play at one of our regular pubs indoors on oct 9th. Landlord keen to get music back on. Booking of tables in advance only, 60 max, all appropriate and lawful distancing measures to be adhered to. We have filled out a risk assessment, no one to approach band, no dancing, reduced volume levels. I'm intrigued if it will go ahead. MU advice is it probably can but awaiting clarification.

We were offered an indoor pub gig on October 3rd before the latest round of restrictions were introduced. Our band hasn't rehearsed since lockdown. I said I wasn't comfortable rehearing in our guitarist house and less comfortable with the gig, given the increased infection rate etc. The rest were fairly keen to gig and tried out a friend to dep. The result was that they realised how good and irreplaceable i am  😎 and didn't want to water down the band for the gig.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, skidder652003 said:

been asked to play at one of our regular pubs indoors on oct 9th. Landlord keen to get music back on. Booking of tables in advance only, 60 max, all appropriate and lawful distancing measures to be adhered to. We have filled out a risk assessment, no one to approach band, no dancing, reduced volume levels. I'm intrigued if it will go ahead. MU advice is it probably can but awaiting clarification.

Steve, is that the Coach House? They offered us the 3rd.

19 minutes ago, skidder652003 said:

MU advice is it probably can but awaiting clarification.

What was the exact advice from MU? Are you awaiting clarification from them; or are they awaiting clarification from somewhere else?

We need bodies such as the MU to be "on the ball" at this time, not lagging behind or unclear on advice.

On 13/09/2020 at 17:52, knirirr said:

To my complete lack of surprise it has been; the pub landlord is concerned about being fined, and I don't blame him.

In the end the drummer's persistence, powers of persuasion and "covid secure" organisational skills persuaded the landlord that we should go head with limited numbers. Our quintet thus played outside in a rather brisk breeze to a socially-distanced audience never exceeding our numbers. I suspect it made a notable increase in the pub's takings that night.

Conveniently, I discovered that the scroll of my bass can be hooked over the gazebo frame for when I need to take a trip to the bar or bog.

IMG_2612.png

IMG_2611.jpeg

• Like 3

On 17/09/2020 at 20:53, Bluewine said:

I have an acoustic gig tomorrow night in Fond Du Lac at The Thelma Performing Arts Center. It's an hour and a half gig .  It should be nice if we have decent weather.

Blue

FB_IMG_1599716192820.jpg

The organizers for this outside event did a good job with distancing. When we arrived the staff were drawing circles in the street setting up the distancing parameters and they had masks for everyone.

Blue

• Like 2

Not gigging as such, but playing together live:  I’m playing in a much stripped back church band (keys, bass, drum box, vocals) in our two services on Sunday morning, one with very few congregation, the band being socially distanced from each other and behind plastic screens, the second with no congregation, but streamed live online, all within the latest Covid rules.

It’s very much a First for me, the live streaming at least.  Apart from virtual at home recordings during lockdown, I’ve never seen video of my bass playing before!

Edited by Baxlin
  • Like 2

we had a multi band indoor gig last night, full PA, not sure how they got away with it, the Police turned up half way through, saw everybody sat at tables of 6, waitress service, mask worn when away from the tables and let it carry on, must admit I enjoyed myself but can see what the problem is, loud music means people shouting at each other at very close distance

On 15/09/2020 at 10:16, Ian McFly said:

Yeah so good news for England. But not for bloody Scotland where it’s only two households!

Yup, we're still looking for a new singer, but with the rising R rates, the rehearsal rooms have closed again.

Can really audition singers if we can't get into the rehearsal rooms. :| 

We've just booked a rehearsal in our usual Glasgow studios for 18th Oct. 12-6pm.

We checked that it was all legal for us to be there before booking. If things change for the worst we'll cancel again.

We've been lucky that we managed to get quite a few rehearsals in over last few months when things got relaxed a bit.

Can't see any gigs before March 2021 with way things are going. Unless we get a vaccine soon but that's all went a bit quiet recently.

Dave