Why become a member? ×

When will you start gigging again?

julietgreen

5 hours ago, Bluewine said:

That's interesting, we've been gigging steadily since March. However all gigs have been outside events , public and private. We have gigs into October that are still outside. 

We haven't made any decisions about indoor bar gigs yet. Things might slow down by November.

Blue

Different country @Bluewine - what applies to the UK may obviously not apply to other countries/territories 

Edited by DaytonaRik

The regular jam I attend moved out to the pub car park and we got a couple of sessions in, two weeks apart. It worked quite well, though running power cables out and arranging the horn players to blow in appropriate directions was tricky.
There's one planned for next week but presumably it will be cancelled.
Of course, we could always drive to the pub to test our eyesight and, whilst we are there anyway,  jam in a very specific and limited way...

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 07/09/2020 at 15:44, Paul S said:

Played an open air gig on Saturday at The Pickerel Inn, Stowmarket.  They had done what they could - we had a barn to play in, loads of space.  There were picnic bench tables set out with a reasonable distance between them for folks to sit.  Not that many there - maybe 20-25 - but it was great to play.  First outing for my Harley Benton Shorty which performed admirably.  Sounded exactly like a Precision in the mix.

Here 'Hideaway'

I wouldn't have recognised you, lurking in the shadows there @Paul S
Good to hear you've had the chance to play live again :) 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chienmortbb said:

I could not see that in the BBC article, where did you see it?

It's in the section below "How are pubs keeping you safe" which is a hyper link to a separate article.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-52977388 

However, the date of the article is 4th Aug which may be superseded by the guidelines given in my post below.

Edited by DaytonaRik

42 minutes ago, paul_c2 said:

Were pubs ever allowed to resume indoor gigs anyway? I thought it was only for "dedicated music venues" and it was made clear pubs didn't fall into that group.

Outdoors was different...

According to this government guideline published 13th Aug section 4.5 indoor performances in bars, pubs and restaurants were permitted with some obvious guidelines, notably surrounding distancing and reducing the volume of background music and refraining from playing music which "may encourage shouting" or "at a volume that makes normal conversation difficult"

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/working-safely-during-coronavirus-covid-19/restaurants-offering-takeaway-or-delivery#takeaways-4-5

So that's most live bands out of the window straight away re volume of drum kits etc.

Edited by DaytonaRik
  • Like 1

Thank you, I had missed that piece of guidance. Or perhaps, in my mind, I'd dismissed it because it seems almost completely irrelevant to any type of music I know as such: "played at a volume that makes normal conversation difficult". I don't think there's ANY kind of live music which is such a low volume as to allow normal conversation over the top of it! And if it did....is there any point playing? Even a single eg jazz pianist would need to play softly.

8 minutes ago, Slappindabass said:

They already were werent they even before this change. 2 household only?

An organisation/business could rehearse indoors, so long as a risk assessment is done by the organisation/business which encompasses all relevant covid guidelines, eg socially distanced, reducing/eliminating touch points, etc etc, in line with "stage 4" of the master plan for performing arts/theatre/music etc. I'd link to it, but I have a funny feeling it will be irrelevant in a few hours....

To put it another way, a band rehearsal by an organised group was recognised as distinct from a social meeting.

• Like 1

4th post covid gig last Saturday 

First two were outdoors 

last two  indoors 

the indoor pubs didn't put any info on facebook  and supposedly it was tickets but i'd say it wasn't 

inside ,yes the have the signs and the tape and the arrows etc but its business as usual from what i see 

1st gig we loaded through a rear door so i just kept my distance 

2ng gig dragging gear through the bar 

59 minutes ago, paul_c2 said:

An organisation/business could rehearse indoors, so long as a risk assessment is done by the organisation/business which encompasses all relevant covid guidelines, eg socially distanced, reducing/eliminating touch points, etc etc, in line with "stage 4" of the master plan for performing arts/theatre/music etc. I'd link to it, but I have a funny feeling it will be irrelevant in a few hours....

To put it another way, a band rehearsal by an organised group was recognised as distinct from a social meeting.

Oh that's good news, not sure a lot of pub groups could call themselves an organisation or a business. Mine is the least  organised thing ever!😅

I don't know about pub groups but I can understand that. You'd need to read the guidance to see if your/a group qualifies. I've seen stuff on Facebook eg by brass bands where they're saying it needs to be a registered charity but that looks like invented Balaerics. Many amateur groups have a committee, constitution, bank account of their own, meetings etc etc very much like a business would be run - there is no clear line really.

Some groups are obviously a business/organised group (but with amateur members, not professionals) and the stage 4 allowed these to return to rehearsals and gigging. 

We had our first gig since March last weekend. An outdoor event for a biker club in Pitsea (yeah, glamorous!). My playing was fine, but physically - well, let's just say I was out of practice of playing for extended periods of time, even with a couple of rehearsals - my back is still aching!

Looks like the rest of the gigs we've had in the diary have now been cancelled. Only had three more this year two have cancelled and we're working on the assumption the third one will be.

The inside scoop from a soundman at a prolific local music venue is that they don't expect live music to start up again until at least March 2021. If not later!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Bluewine said:

Here in the States the rules can vary from county to county, State to State abd City to City.

Blue

We have rules, guidance and advice that can vary from country to country (England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland) and by city or region within that!  Talk about making life difficult!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DaytonaRik said:

We have rules, guidance and advice that can vary from country to country (England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland) and by city or region within that!  Talk about making life difficult!

Not helped by the BBC always focusing on the changes or differences and not producing and updating a single, consistent guide.