Why become a member? ×

When will you start gigging again?

julietgreen

15 hours ago, 12stringbassist said:

Hosting a jam night next Sunday.
Have spent hours theorising on making it safe.

Interested to see the steps taken to make this work in conjunction with the section of the guideline stating

"...particularly if played at a volume that makes normal conversation difficult."

So electronic drums rather than a tradition acoustic kit? 

Down here in NZ we didn't get live music back at all until we dropped all the way to level 1 (essentially normality). We've since gone back up to level 2 (social distancing 1m+, table service in bars, no crowds over 100 at all) and only seated gigs are going ahead, at much reduced capacity. Been quite a change considering that for the 3 months at level 1 we were back in nightclubs, gigs, big sporting events. 

• Like 4

played an indoor gig yesterday afternoon, again I had to play electro acoustic instead of Bass, for some reason the venues think it'll be quieter, it's not, we've still got a loud drummer and the PA is just as loud. Went well though, the landlord rebooked us

It was well run, everybody seated and full waitress service, a decent model for indoor gigs

• Like 1

I played an outdoor gig yesterday afternoon - nice venue next to a river with boat traffic moored or passing by. Plenty of social distancing between tables and from the band to the nearest tables - and plenty of room for the band. 

I used my Stingray Special 4HH through LM3 and 2 X 10 Traveller cabinet (elevated on packing crates) and got a really good sound - surprisingly one cabinet was sufficient in what was a very large beer garden, being plenty loud enough at the back, the sound guy said - the set ranged from classic R and B through to blues rock. I used my ceramic SR5 for two or three songs, mainly because we did Higher Ground, in Eb, which is a pain on a 4 string with standard tuning! 

A great gig, the band sounding excellent - outdoor gigs are my favourite as the bass sound is always good - however, no more gigs for the foreseeable future though - all indoor ones are cancelled currently 😕

Edited by drTStingray
  • Like 1

We're tentatively exploring a 3 night mini-festival at the theatre. So far, our pre-requisites are:

"So, dates: Wed Oct 28 Fri Oct 30 Sun Nov 01 Audience max 30, with 4 max in a bubble.

Signage to say masks to be worn in auditorium and spacing to be adhered to.

Drinks to be pre-ordered either via text or something.

Contactless payment for drinks FOH/BOH to be separated as much as possible.

Toilets 1 in, 1 out 4,000,000 litres of disinfectant. "

We're acting as the host, so the online/remote ticketing is going to be arranged by the organiser.

Fingers crossed...

• Like 1

Looks to me like the 2nd wave is starting to take hold. I know deaths aren't really rising yet, but admissions have started to rise again and cases are rising quickly even when the increased testing is taken into account. A high proportion of the newest cases are 18-24 year olds, which explains the lack of deaths, but it's only a matter of time before this spreads into higher risk demographics. 

I fear what's coming. Especially with so many people thinking the threat from covid is at, least partially over and are attempting to do things which are by their very nature going to mix people of different ages and locations, such as sporting events and dare I say it, music.  

• Like 3

Yes since opening of non essential retail, pubs & restaurants an increase was always likely imo, plus with events as described in another thread where no distancing was either practiced or controlled it doesn’t bode well for the giggers amongst us. I reckon performers are really going to have to look at online shows via promoters, it may not be what is wanted but it’s a way of gigs going ahead. Just wonder how it would be as a performer playing to a couple of cameras and trying to keep the energy of a live gig going. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Lozz196 said:

Yes since opening of non essential retail, pubs & restaurants an increase was always likely imo, plus with events as described in another thread where no distancing was either practiced or controlled it doesn’t bode well for the giggers amongst us. I reckon performers are really going to have to look at online shows via promoters, it may not be what is wanted but it’s a way of gigs going ahead. Just wonder how it would be as a performer playing to a couple of cameras and trying to keep the energy of a live gig going. 

Just posted in the other thread about my streaming experience last night of a Tower Of Power gig.

Edited by BassBunny

That’s it for me, whilst it’s not the same at least people will still be able to watch their fave bands. On a Fri night after a hard weeks work, settle down with a four (or eight) pack in front of the laptop and see the bands put on a show. For the punk scene there are a few really good promoter and I really hope they take this on. There are venues that could easily put the events on safely for the bands and camera/lighting/sound crews. Keep some money coming in through their doors, bands get increased online sales, keep the scene going.

Played an open-air, small party on Saturday. Full band, full rig - seemed excessive for a small party
We had played another small outdoor party, as an acoustic trio... but last Saturday, it was great to get back with the full band.

Played a recently acquired JV Jazz through the full rig.... and it sounded awesome :o 
A few coloured lights on, after the sun had set, and it felt amazing :) - even if some of my playing was a tad "rusty" ahem ;) 

Don't know when regular gigs will be back up & running (especially here in Wales) but if we're asked to play an outdoor small party again (fewer than 30 people) - I'd jump at the chance.....
Even in the cold, I'd don some fingerless gloves.... just to play live again ;) 

Edited by Marc S

1 hour ago, Lozz196 said:

... Just wonder how it would be as a performer playing to a couple of cameras and trying to keep the energy of a live gig going....

Having had to cancel all my musical bookings for the year in January due to emergency surgery, the only show I have played this year was in late June and it was a streamed performance.

I had assembled a very small real life audience who were all in a social bubble and there was massive physical distancing in the performance space for the camera crew etc.

It was one of the best paying gigs I've ever done.

But if continuing like this is the only way I can perform my music I would have to think very hard about whether it's worth it artistically. Trying to really play out is very hard without the audience connection.

Played an open air gig on Saturday at The Pickerel Inn, Stowmarket.  They had done what they could - we had a barn to play in, loads of space.  There were picnic bench tables set out with a reasonable distance between them for folks to sit.  Not that many there - maybe 20-25 - but it was great to play.  First outing for my Harley Benton Shorty which performed admirably.  Sounded exactly like a Precision in the mix.

Here 'Hideaway'

• Like 5

23 hours ago, Paul S said:

Played an open air gig on Saturday at The Pickerel Inn, Stowmarket.  They had done what they could - we had a barn to play in, loads of space.  There were picnic bench tables set out with a reasonable distance between them for folks to sit.  Not that many there - maybe 20-25 - but it was great to play.  First outing for my Harley Benton Shorty which performed admirably.  Sounded exactly like a Precision in the mix.

Here 'Hideaway'

Really nice. This is how a trio should sound.

Blue

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, jimmyb625 said:

Looks as though gigs are off again.

BBC News - Coronavirus: Social gatherings above six banned in England from 14 September https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-54081131

😔

Yup - 

Pub-goers will be encouraged to book tables in advance- Live gigs and standing at the bar will not be allowed

Guess that's pretty clear cut and definite!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DaytonaRik said:

Yup - 

Pub-goers will be encouraged to book tables in advance- Live gigs and standing at the bar will not be allowed

Guess that's pretty clear cut and definite!

That's interesting, we've been gigging steadily since March. However all gigs have been outside events , public and private. We have gigs into October that are still outside. 

We haven't made any decisions about indoor bar gigs yet. Things might slow down by November.

Blue

• Like 1