Why become a member? ×

When will you start gigging again?

julietgreen

I've been off the last 2 weekends. Maple Road is back on stage this Sunday. It's an outside Country Club  gig. We start at 5:00.

We haven't played inside since the Covid.

Side note, my friend and great guitarist/ producer of 60 years went to a an old recording studio that was selling off gear. He found a GK 400RB Ii. He sent it to me. The thing looks brand new. 

It's nice when you receive a gift you can actually use 

Blue

FB_IMG_1598912367779.jpg

20200826_193002.jpg

• Like 7

53 minutes ago, Bluewine said:

I've been off the last 2 weekends. Maple Road is back on stage this Sunday. It's an outside Country Club  gig. We start at 5:00.

We haven't played inside since the Covid.

Side note, my friend and great guitarist/ producer of 60 years went to a an old recording studio that was selling off gear. He found a GK 400RB Ii. He sent it to me. The thing looks brand new. 

Blue

FB_IMG_1598912367779.jpg

20200826_193002.jpg

That's cool - what a great guy

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Bluewine said:

Blue

Wow, must be a great friend Blue, and with such good taste in amplification too!

An old friend of mine ( our friendship only goes back nearly 50 years!) called round a few years ago while I was out on the road and left me his lovely Fernandes 1950's style Strat0caster. It's in burgundy mist with a flamed maple neck, and when we played in bands together he'd remembered how I used to comment on it. A lovely gesture.

• Like 4

I keep seeing more and more FaceBook events from friends in bands announcing their return to indoor pub gigs but try as I might I still find anything definitive regarding this.

All of the online guidance I can find still seems to indicate that only professional vocal and brass instrument performances are permitted indoors.  Are pubs/bars/restaurants now considered to be music venues or are they still separate and prohibited entities for the purpose of live music?

It’s about as clear as a muddy pool on a very foggy day!!!

if anyone has any links  to to appropriate online documentation it would be appreciated!

Edited by DaytonaRik

4 hours ago, DaytonaRik said:

I keep seeing more and more FaceBook events from friends in bands announcing their return to indoor pub gigs but try as I might I still find anything definitive regarding this.

All of the online guidance I can find still seems to indicate that only professional vocal and brass instrument performances are permitted indoors.  Are pubs/bars/restaurants now considered to be music venues or are they still separate and prohibited entities for the purpose of live music?

It’s about as clear as a muddy pool on a very foggy day!!!

if anyone has any links  to to appropriate online documentation it would be appreciated!

A couple of pubs near me seem to have started live music again. One of them is theoretically 'outdoors' but it's a very enclosed kind of outdoors with brass players only a few feet from each other and everyone else and audience still at close quarters. The other one is indoors in a situation indistiguishable from pre-covid settings but without brass so far, I think. My threshold is still <100 new cases a day. Then I'll go back out relatively happily.

Interesting looking here:

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/working-safely-during-coronavirus-covid-19/performing-arts#arts-4-7

It says:

Both professionals and non-professionals (meaning those participating in performing arts other than for work purposes), or groups which include non-professionals, should refer to this guidance for their activities.

• Like 1

We got offered an outdoor gig on 20th September.

Even in a non-covid environment, the words 'Outdoor gig', 'Scotland' and 'September' generally don't do well together. We passed. 

Our gig in November has also been postponed for next year as the social distancing rules made it impossible for the promoter to put on a show that would even come close to yielding a profit. 

• Like 1

I've bought an amp, so...

I still don't expect gigs to be back to anything feasible for some time. I'll bide my time. It would be nice just to have a jam or murder a few songs in a practice room to be honest, it's been a while since I've played with others.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, casapete said:

Wow, must be a great friend Blue, and with such good taste in amplification too!

An old friend of mine ( our friendship only goes back nearly 50 years!) called round a few years ago while I was out on the road and left me his lovely Fernandes 1950's style Strat0caster. It's in burgundy mist with a flamed maple neck, and when we played in bands together he'd remembered how I used to comment on it. A lovely gesture.

Nice!

Blue

• Like 1

A local working men's club contacted the MU to try and get some clarity on what the situation is.

Apparently there is a 5 stage roadmap and currently we are in stage 4 where music venues are allowed to open and out live acts on. WMC's are apparently classed as music venues as they generally have separate function rooms so tables can be distanced, numbers limited and details taken for track and trace. With the social distancing required for performers it really limits the options to Solos or Duo's.

Pubs are not supposed to be having live music indoors as yet, outdoors is fine. I've noticed a few pubs in NW advertising Solos and DJ's and a good few that have subsequently announced they've had to cancel.

One pub is apparently starting to run a Jam Night and that sounds like a recipe for disaster.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BassBunny said:

A local working men's club contacted the MU to try and get some clarity on what the situation is.

Apparently there is a 5 stage roadmap and currently we are in stage 4 where music venues are allowed to open and out live acts on. WMC's are apparently classed as music venues as they generally have separate function rooms so tables can be distanced, numbers limited and details taken for track and trace. With the social distancing required for performers it really limits the options to Solos or Duo's.

Pubs are not supposed to be having live music indoors as yet, outdoors is fine. I've noticed a few pubs in NW advertising Solos and DJ's and a good few that have subsequently announced they've had to cancel.

One pub is apparently starting to run a Jam Night and that sounds like a recipe for disaster.

Greene King pubs are already having live music indoors.

• Like 1

Suddenly, from outta nowhere, it looks like we might have a paying gig next Sunday. 2 sets in the afternoon, outdoors at a pub just outside Chippenham. Our frontlady has done a visit/risk assessment and they're taking safety very seriously indeed. She knows what our individual concerns are and she's happy with their arrangements, which means I'm happy too. Yay :D:D:D  :party:

Edited by Rich
  • Like 5

Ive got a gig tomorrow pm - outdoor do in the sticks, near Canterbury - I'm actually depping but really looking forward to it. That'll be the third gig since February/ March 😯👍

Looking at taking a bass with new strings for once!! Amazing the things that come to mind with gigs so few and far between. 

• Like 1

On 03/09/2020 at 08:30, BassBunny said:

This was my take on the situation - that pubs were not be considered music venues therefore should not currently be hosting live indoor music events?

Edited by DaytonaRik

4 minutes ago, DaytonaRik said:

This was my take on the situation - that pubs were not be considered music venues therefore should not currently be hosting live indoor music events?

Some pubs around here are starting to put small socially distanced indoor gigs on - are they in breach of the rules?

11 minutes ago, casapete said:

Some pubs around here are starting to put small socially distanced indoor gigs on - are they in breach of the rules?

I've yet to see anything to lead me to believe me that pubs are now considered live music venues for the guidelines surrounding a return to live indoor performances hence my question.  The published guidelines lack any sense of a definite yes or no i.e. this is allowed, this isn't allowed 😕

Edited by DaytonaRik

13 minutes ago, DaytonaRik said:

I've yet to see anything to lead me to believe me that pubs are now considered live music venues for the guidelines surrounding a return to live indoor performances hence my question.  The published guidelines lack any sense of a definite yes or no i.e. this is allowed, this isn't allowed 😕

It's so lacking clarity, no wonder some establishments are thinking it's okay to proceed.

Soooo - a bit more digging through the online guidelines has unearthed this lovely nugget under the Entertainment section covering Restaurants, pubs, bars and take-away food services

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/working-safely-during-coronavirus-covid-19/restaurants-offering-takeaway-or-delivery#takeaways-4-5

It's still as clear as mud but this does at least hint that socially distanced indoor live performances in pubs/bars etc are now allowed under the guidelines?  That said - the section advising that the volume of background music or playing music that might encourage shouting or making conversation difficult pretty much rules out a live band of most, if not all genres.  I'm thinking our acoustic rock covers trio is more likely to be out gigging long before the fully blown rock covers band.

Screenshot 2020-09-05 at 18.06.51.png

Edited by DaytonaRik
  • Like 3