Why become a member? ×

When will you start gigging again?

julietgreen

I guess one could argue they are a professional band if they declare an income to the taxman.  I don't think it needs to be a "main" source of income, but it does need to be a recognised source of income.

Not that it matters right now, god known when indoor music will come back.  Seems like a long time if Schools opening is a trade off for existing things as it is...

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Kev said:

I guess one could argue they are a professional band if they declare an income to the taxman.  I don't think it needs to be a "main" source of income, but it does need to be a recognised source of income.

Not that it matters right now, god known when indoor music will come back.  Seems like a long time if Schools opening is a trade off for existing things as it is...

Yeah, i have no kids and i love my music and pubs... But enlightening and educating the next generation seems a fair trade at the moment

I think the government's thinking is if you are paying taxes then we want you back working (gigging) as soon as reasonably possible. If you don't pay tax for your band earnings then they really don't need you out mingling, exacerbating a problem which has cost them dearly so far. And before people say that a band in a pub generates taxable income for the pub, it won't with social distancing as they can't let the crowd in that a band, hopefully, generates. 

For those of us that gigging is mainly a paid hobby will just have to wait until this situation has been got on top of, which could be a very long time, maybe measured in years rather than months. 

• Like 4

Had a band zoom meet Fri evening and we've agreed to cancel our Oct Gig. The venue hasn't announced its opening and its a regular venue for a few of the band and they know the owner really well.

Main reason for cancelling is that being a 70's Glam Rock covers band our main audience are not teenager early 20's age group and fall into the more cautious age group and we don't feel confident enough that they will want to attend a gig 2 weeks after the rules change allowing limited audience gigs with social distancing. The venue is a proper rock venue with mostly standing room so table service isn't really an option.

We are now thinking of holding off until 2021 before looking for gigs unless something comes along at Xmas that can offer safety in all respects.

We will still keep at our rehearsals as we enjoy them plus we have a new member to the band who will need to settle in.

Dave

• Like 1

Got to gig last night at an outside event at a social club. Great atmosphere, about 90 people turned up all on separate tables, felt amazing to be gigging agin, got rebooked for a bike rally there at the end of the month. Enjoy the guitarist bum notes fluffery toward the end..I did!

Edited by skidder652003
  • Like 8

On 30/07/2020 at 14:15, ricksterphil said:

There will be much of this in the near future, bands playing for a reduced fee. Fair enough if it's a paid hobby, not so great if it's your living. Saying that we've just taken a booking for October 2021 at our normal rate

Maple Road has been out gigging since March. However we have not played any traditional bar/ pub gigs. We have been playing private parties and events with budgets. We have not had to discount our services yet.

We have 3 gigs next weekend, however we have nothing on the books for fall.

Blue

• Like 5

2 hours ago, skidder652003 said:

Got to gig last night at an outside event at a social club. Great atmosphere, about 90 people turned up all on separate tables, felt amazing to be gigging agin, got rebooked for a bike rally there at the end of the month. Enjoy the guitarist bum notes fluffery toward the end..I did!

You don't know how jealous you've made me.

First of all that you did a gig.

Secondly that you got to play Led Zep tunes. >:(

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, gjones said:

You don't know how jealous you've made me.

First of all that you did a gig.

Secondly that you got to play Led Zep tunes. >:(

Ha , don't want to make anyone envious! But I was amazed how many people turned up. I'm guessing there's a real hunger for live music out there, if we could persuade venues to find ways of getting us outdoors whilst the weather is ok, ie up to september/october then we might get a few gigs under our belts before winter comes and God knows what will happen. I know the club secretary was over the moon with the turnout (and his takings), I'm going to be messaging all our usual venues and see if there's any chance of moving outdoors, some have space (ie car parks)

• Like 1

11 hours ago, skidder652003 said:

Excellent really enjoyed that. One we question on our bass forum tho. Where's bass player. ? :facepalm::laugh1:

Not bum notes at the end.........artistic expression is what i always say when i play the Jazz version :D

Dave

Edited by dmccombe7
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, dmccombe7 said:

Excellent really enjoyed that. One we question on our bass forum tho. Where's bass player. ? :facepalm::laugh1:

Not bum notes at the end.........artistic expression is what i always say when i play the Jazz version :D

Dave

as usual, it's me (and drummer) who set up PA (as well as transporting it and storing it plus guitarists amp and 412 cab), so I'm always the last to set up my gear with minutes to spare before sound check (this has been an ongoing issue for 10 years now). If there's any time left after before we start I have to set up at least 3 cameras, switch them on, focus them, check gain levels etc so there's no time to get a camera on me as well, plus I edit all the videos, get all the gigs (well 90%), edit the FB page pretty much myself, etc etc..you get the picture...

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, skidder652003 said:

as usual, it's me (and drummer) who set up PA ... so there's no time to get a camera on me as well, plus I edit all the videos, get all the gigs (well 90%), edit the FB page pretty much myself, etc etc..you get the picture...

This is all so familiar to me.

Which comes first I wonder - personality traits that leads one to become a bassist or personality traits that develop from being a bassist.

• Like 1

Did a dep gig with a 40's/50's band at a retirement village in Surrey on Saturday afternoon. First gig since lockdown.

It should have been a dead easy gig, but when i arrived I found out only the guitarist and sax player were from the band's regular line up and myself, the drummer and the girl singer were all deps! Still, it all went OK and the elderly punters loved it.   😊

The girl singer took this pic.

image.thumb.jpeg.e2558dbdcc215e48f0c4821138b62f53.jpeg

• Like 7

On 01/08/2020 at 17:52, Kev said:

I like having an extra $400.00 in my wallet from weekend gigs. It's a nice cushion. Unfortunately after summer all that might come to an end.

Blue

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

On 29/07/2020 at 12:27, chris_b said:

So it might be on the cards that we won't be gigging until a vaccine is available!!

We could. If we pursued an elimination strategy as recommended by the Independent Sage group and as some countries have done. But that would require people not going to gigs now.

Maple Road had a busy weekend. We played Friday Night at a local Home Grown Music Festival in West Bend. Saturday we played A Holiday Camp gig at. The Tiki Beach Bar Resort in Campbellsport ( 4 hours). Sunday we played Hefner's 25 anniversary ( bar restaurant) in Grafton. All 3 gigs were outside.

Nothing this weekend. Private gig the following weekend.

Blue

FB_IMG_1596670936083.jpg

FB_IMG_1596834995095.jpg

FB_IMG_1596835079378.jpg

• Like 4

On 31/07/2020 at 00:24, itu said:

8 & 15 August, 1-4 & 19 September... looks good, although these are practically private parties.

A good start, and... all gigs on September are cancelled. I got 5 calls today! Maybe next year... The 15th is still valid, should I turn my phone off for this evening, just in case?

• Like 1

On 02/08/2020 at 15:33, skidder652003 said:

Nice job! 90 people is fantastic. I love when bands nail LZ riffs. Great lead vocals

Blue

Edited by Bluewine
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Got offered a gig Saturday at what was previously a night club in Wigan . That has turned the old smoking area which is large into a beer garden , ticketed event 100 people at circa £5 a head  sold out  DJ and band , started off offering us a free bar and accommodation we all live 15 minutes away , when we said no upped it to £100 , no thanks mate pretty sure the DJ won’t be doing it for £25 , we’re generally a busy band and all keen to get back gigging but  have to draw the line somewhere, our normal price for pub gigs is £300 minimum we offered to do it for £200 due to Covid but they seem to assume they were doing us a favour. I’m aware times are hard but hope it’s not the sign  of things to come 

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

1 hour ago, peety said:

Got offered a gig Saturday at what was previously a night club in Wigan . That has turned the old smoking area which is large into a beer garden , ticketed event 100 people at circa £5 a head  sold out  DJ and band , started off offering us a free bar and accommodation we all live 15 minutes away , when we said no upped it to £100 , no thanks mate pretty sure the DJ won’t be doing it for £25 , we’re generally a busy band and all keen to get back gigging but  have to draw the line somewhere, our normal price for pub gigs is £300 minimum we offered to do it for £200 due to Covid but they seem to assume they were doing us a favour. I’m aware times are hard but hope it’s not the sign  of things to come 

I was talking to our drummer on the phone last night and we were discussing this very same subject, there are a few gigs started in our area (outdoors) and he was pretty sure the bands were playing for free, we were both of the same opinion that our band will not be following that path.

Most venues near us seem to be going down the solo / duo route which is probably understandable because of cost , while we understand the situation and are quite prepared to help out our regular venues by reducing normal fees,  we won’t be playing anywhere for free and won’t be taken advantage off especially when they’re selling tickets.