Why become a member? ×

When will you start gigging again?

julietgreen

2 hours ago, MacDaddy said:

Just had a couple of gigs confirmed, 7 & 28 August. Pub gig with limited numbers.

Pub gig?  I thought the August gigs were Music Venue only, ie no acts in clubs/bars etc?

8 hours ago, Kev said:

Pub gig?  I thought the August gigs were Music Venue only, ie no acts in clubs/bars etc?

Our vocalist does some solo work and apparently Equity have spoken to someone in government and Clubs are classified as a music venue. As they generally have a separate concert room they can limit numbers and easily take contact details.

Pubs were ruled out.

8 hours ago, Kev said:

11 minutes ago, steantval said:

Let’s hope the weather is good, because I’m pretty sure they can only be held outdoors and not inside pubs.

I guess I'll find out next week! 

So.... I think I've missed a lot somehow. 

What are the actual rules on gigs etc at the moment? Are you only allowed to perform if you're professional musicians (I. E. Main source of income), and there's social distancing measures in place? 

When the pubs reopened, the guidance was that any music must be quiet enough that customers don't have to raise their voices to converse - does this apply to band performance also? 

Sorry if I'm being dim here.... 

4 minutes ago, TRBboy said:

What are the actual rules on gigs etc at the moment? Are you only allowed to perform if you're professional musicians (I. E. Main source of income), and there's social distancing measures in place? 

When the pubs reopened, the guidance was that any music must be quiet enough that customers don't have to raise their voices to converse - does this apply to band performance also? 

You're certainly not being dim mate, the rules are incredibly vague and will be ignored apart from the main points i.e. social distancing. 

This allows the government to demonstrate that it is showing support for the sector, whilst putting all the blame on the venue if anything goes wrong. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TRBboy said:

According to https://www.gov.uk/guidance/working-safely-during-coronavirus-covid-19/performing-arts#arts-5-1 , section 4.1:

Singing, wind, and brass is limited to professionals ("i.e. for work purposes only"), each social distancing 3m.

Other instruments:
non-professionals: same guidelines as meeting people outside your household, i.e. outdoors: up to six people or up to two households; indoors: up to two households.
professionals: use additional social distancing, barriers, get private testing, etc.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jrixn1 said:

According to https://www.gov.uk/guidance/working-safely-during-coronavirus-covid-19/performing-arts#arts-5-1 , section 4.1:

Singing, wind, and brass is limited to professionals ("i.e. for work purposes only"), each social distancing 3m.

Other instruments:
non-professionals: same guidelines as meeting people outside your household, i.e. outdoors: up to six people or up to two households; indoors: up to two households.
professionals: use additional social distancing, barriers, get private testing, etc.

I get the guidance for pros if rehearsing or recording etc, but what is the deal with actual gigs /events? They seem to be happening in some parts, but as far as I can tell from the guidance, they haven't been given the okay yet, and noise levels must still remain low enough not to raise voices in pubs etc. 

44 minutes ago, TRBboy said:

I get the guidance for pros if rehearsing or recording etc, but what is the deal with actual gigs /events? They seem to be happening in some parts, but as far as I can tell from the guidance, they haven't been given the okay yet, and noise levels must still remain low enough not to raise voices in pubs etc. 

Yeah, it quickly gets unclear.  I'm no expert, but the above is general guidance for "rehearsals, training, pre-production and performance" - so that should cover gigs.

But then there are more guideines to consider depending on the type of gig. https://www.gov.uk/government/news/performing-arts-given-green-light-to-resume-outdoors-on-july-11 says "Performing arts can now take place outdoors from 11 July with a socially distanced audience present"

For (indoor) pubs/restaurants/bars, there are some general guidelines in https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/media/5eb96e8e86650c278b077616/working-safely-during-covid-19-restaurants-takeaway-delivery-230720.pdf , which says:  "Venues should not permit indoor performances, including drama, comedy and music, to take place in front of a live audience [...]  All venues should ensure that steps are taken to avoid people needing to unduly raise their voices to each other. This includes, but is not limited to, refraining from playing music or broadcasts that may encourage shouting, including if played at a volume that makes normal conversation difficult."

For theatres and music venues, there is: https://www.gov.uk/government/news/audiences-back-in-theatres-from-1-august which says that they can re-open but with restricted capacity etc.  Update: apparently this is "postponed until 15 August at the earliest"; this postponement also includes wedding celebrations up to 30 people.

To me, it seems that both the general guidance (e.g. no non-professional singing/wind/brass) and the venue-specific guidance (e.g. venue type, indoors/outdoors) should be taken into account.  So, a professional husband-and-wife instrumental guitar duo giving a quiet recital outdoors is clearly ok; whereas a non-professional 10-piece punk choir accompanied by a trumpet player and a clarinetist, none of whom live together, performing inside a pub at such loud volume levels that audience members must raise their voices, is definitely not allowed.  I guess most bands fall somewhere in the middle.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Newfoundfreedom said:

Poor excuse for missing a gig.

Sack him! 

2 hours ago, Woodinblack said:

Hope he has booked the venues already!

The wedding has already been postponed from this year, but I think all the arrangements are still valid for 2021. AFAIK it's not a massively complicated and expensive do. However it will be held in a church. Given that we're a Goth band I would expect half the guests to burst into flames! 😉

• Haha 3

And just discovered that one of the gigs that had already been moved to next year is moving again. It's a bi-annual event which we were supposed to have been playing this October, but due to the cancellation of April's gig everything had been shunted along so our slot had moved to April 2021. Now it looks as though this year's October date has been postponed and next year's April event is going to be severely reduced. No idea what is going on but we might not be playing until April 2022 now...

My son and his lady have postponed their wedding 6 months, to April next year (very sensibly, I think). So bang goes the last man standing on this year's gig diary. I'm not remotely surprised and secretly pleased because a] it allows us more rehearsal time to lick into shape the special set-opener we've got planned for them (big horns-driven version of Black Parade by My Chemical Romance... Martyn and Amy were huge MCR fans back in the day), and more importantly b] it gives me 6 months more to polish my speech (I'm best man as well as father of the groom and part of the evening entertainment... no pressure there then :lol:).

• Like 4

My next gig is in four hours, with a local Deadhead band in a field in Oxford as part of a four band mini fest. We did the same thing a couple of weeks ago and  had a reasonable audience. No money involved, but it's fun to do and keeps the flame burning.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Rich said:

My son and his lady have postponed their wedding 6 months, to April next year (very sensibly, I think). So bang goes the last man standing on this year's gig diary. I'm not remotely surprised and secretly pleased because a] it allows us more rehearsal time to lick into shape the special set-opener we've got planned for them (big horns-driven version of Black Parade by My Chemical Romance... Martyn and Amy were huge MCR fans back in the day), and more importantly b] it gives me 6 months more to polish my speech (I'm best man as well as father of the groom and part of the evening entertainment... no pressure there then :lol:).

A wise move postponing to next year. Saw somewhere where a young couple had postponed there's till now, got married and the honeymoon was cancelled on them at last minute. Felt so sorry for them. If you're gonna get married you want the full package so you have a wonderful memory of the day. 

Dave 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FinnDave said:

My next gig is in four hours, with a local Deadhead band in a field in Oxford as part of a four band mini fest. We did the same thing a couple of weeks ago and  had a reasonable audience. No money involved, but it's fun to do and keeps the flame burning.

Have fun, enjoy and post some pics for us Dave.

Dave