Why become a member? ×

When will you start gigging again?

julietgreen

Are the musos talking about outdoor gigs lined up here all "professional" musicians, i.e. music is their main source of income?  According to the guidelines, these are the only full bands including singer that are allowed to perform outdoors.  I only query it as a lot of people don't seem to be aware of this, and seem to be basing it on any paid gig as "professional".  Who knows if itll be enforced, or indeed how, but it would suck if venues were shut down because of it.

My function band had all gigs cancelled up until August 15th, which is still slated to go ahead.  Itll be indoors in a marquee, and Im not optimistic about it being allowed.  Worse still, our singer has been shielding and we haven't rehearsed since February, and during lockdown our regular drummer has left the band, so itll be a mission to make that one even if it is allowed!

Edited by Kev

35 minutes ago, Kev said:

Are the musos talking about outdoor gigs lined up here all "professional" musicians, i.e. music is their main source of income?  According to the guidelines, these are the only full bands including singer that are allowed to perform outdoors.  I only query it as a lot of people don't seem to be aware of this, and seem to be basing it on any paid gig as "professional".  Who knows if itll be enforced, or indeed how, but it would suck if venues were shut down because of it.

My function band had all gigs cancelled up until August 15th, which is still slated to go ahead.  Itll be indoors in a marquee, and Im not optimistic about it being allowed.  Worse still, our singer has been shielding and we haven't rehearsed since February, and during lockdown our regular drummer has left the band, so itll be a mission to make that one even if it is allowed!

I'm seeing local 'semi-pro' bands on FB promoting their outdoor gigs occurring in the immediate future.  The semi-pro band I'm in has assumed that we will not be doing any gigs for the remainder of this year, inside or outside (based on the current guidance) with the possible exception of a bikers rally in late September.

There is a significant amount of ambiguity in the 'guidelines', 

Non-professionals (meaning those participating in performing arts other than for work purposes), or groups which include non-professionals, may refer to this guidance for their activities, but must at all times do so in line with government legislation and guidance on meeting people outside your household.

So is getting paid by a venue classed as work?  Can you still perform outdoors if you do it in line with "government legislation and guidance on meeting people outside your household" ?

I've just assumed the common definition of Professional and linked it with the Government apparant only objective of boosting the economy, rather than grassroots.  Under the guidelines, I don't think amateur bands, or those that do not perform music as their main occupation, are even allowed to rehearse right now outside of the standard indoor social distancing rules. 

Are instrumental bands, professional or otherwise, all good to perform outdoors?  Guidelines suggest yes as off memory it refers specifically to vocalists and horn players?

Course, if you need to get your nails done, that's fine, no risk there.  Just dive under the table if anyone starts humming to themselves in there.

professional in British English

(prəˈfɛʃənəl )
adjective
of, relating to, suitable for, or engaged in as a profession
engaging in an activity for gain or as a means of livelihood
a. 
extremely competent in a job, etc
b. 
(of a piece of work or anything performed) produced with competence or skill
undertaken or performed for gain or by people who are paid

I have less of a problem with the 'professional' question (several in the band I'm in are fully pro, and we are indeed doing it for gain) than I have with the requirement for:-

1) Singers to be at least 3 m from other band members and the audience.

2) Wind instrument players having the same distancing requirement

So that's the front line being spread over 6 m laterally (over 18ft in old money), which is clearly not going to happen in a pub garden (our gig a week Saturday). An alternative is for two of them to stand back to back - reducing the spacing requirement. 

Similarly the band will need a depth of 6m to accommodate two lines of players and a drummer (we all also sing) - an alternative is for none of the second row or drummer to sing - or the drummer could face the back...... 

All sounds quite difficult to me. 😧

Edited by drTStingray
Arithmetic

5 hours ago, Muppet said:

We played an outdoor gig on Saturday. It was good to play but the audience was split out in to roped off pens with table and chairs that each group had to stay in - their food and drink was brought to them.  They had to prebook their pen. They could dance within their own little area but it was quite strange. 

We enjoyed it. 😀

5F8374E8-6B2A-4394-80DF-44BEC96D6614.jpeg

Edited by steantval
  • Like 1

Last night the acoustic version of Maple Road played an outdoor show @ Sahale Brewery in Grafton, 7-9 pm. Big beautiful 3 level patio area, plenty of room for social distancing.

Very cool appreciative crowd.

Next weekend will be our 8th week in a row of gigging.

Blue

• Like 8

We played a cool private event to a distanced crowd of 75. The band was clicking on all 6 cylinders. It was a fun gig, more than generous pay and after the drinks kicked in the crowd became a lot more appreciative.

"Howdy fellas. Here's the scoop for the private Maple Rd. gig this Sat. . We need to be setup and sound checked by 6:15, people start showing up at 6:30 and you'll play 7-10. I plan on getting there at 5. Lots of drinks and food available, we're more than welcome to partake. Huge yard, patio space is decent size to setup on with good power, we just can't block the door to the kitchen because food will be kept inside. About 70 ppl. have rsvp'd and they're super excited. "

FB_IMG_1593479311323.jpg

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Bluewine said:

We played a cool private event to a distanced crowd of 75. The band was clicking on all 6 cylinders. It was a fun gig, more than generous pay and after the drinks kicked in the crowd became a lot more appreciative.

"Howdy fellas. Here's the scoop for the private Maple Rd. gig this Sat. . We need to be setup and sound checked by 6:15, people start showing up at 6:30 and you'll play 7-10. I plan on getting there at 5. Lots of drinks and food available, we're more than welcome to partake. Huge yard, patio space is decent size to setup on with good power, we just can't block the door to the kitchen because food will be kept inside. About 70 ppl. have rsvp'd and they're super excited. "

FB_IMG_1593479311323.jpg

Can you export Maple Road T's at a sensible price?

• Like 1

I played Saturday afternoon at an outdoor private party - we had our own open fronted marquee and were able to generally get 3 m apart from each other so singing and brass could all happen. The audience were at tables outside with very large table umbrellas. Of course, Saturday was host to probably the largest amount of rain seen in months in the south east of England but it all went fine and we went down well. Every band member complained of aches and pains the following day and severe tiredness - 15 wks without a gig, then, 2 X 1 hr sets took its toll!!! 

image.thumb.jpeg.068ed9c35216602f755b3593c5207fc1.jpeg

My bass gear, ready to play - the stuff in the background is all the singer's...... don't ask - Antiques Road Trip influence I think!! 

image.thumb.jpeg.63b5bc3e583aeb7909d1bb6d82b1aecd.jpeg

Nice saxes! We did a nice version of Bueno, by Morphine and that Baritone was put to great use! 

Edited by drTStingray
  • Like 3