Why become a member? ×

When will you start gigging again?

julietgreen

Well, we're off to Norway on Wednesday for four gigs (Thursday-Sunday) in a tent. Regulations there  are a bit looser than here in Germany - possibly because of their much lower population density and hence lower infection rates. The government website states that events up to a maximum of 200 socially distanced guests are allowed. Where we'll be, in Laerdal, is a small town at the end of a fjord where there's a caravan site.

In all honesty I do have some reservations about this, but being as music is my sole source of income, what else am I gonna do? This may end up being the only work I do for the rest of the year.

image.png.af3669d4fd3ca9d8d6c651b5b087b074.png

• Like 6

1 hour ago, SICbass said:

Well, we're off to Norway on Wednesday for four gigs (Thursday-Sunday) in a tent. Regulations there  are a bit looser than here in Germany - possibly because of their much lower population density and hence lower infection rates. The government website states that events up to a maximum of 200 socially distanced guests are allowed. Where we'll be, in Laerdal, is a small town at the end of a fjord where there's a caravan site.

In all honesty I do have some reservations about this, but being as music is my sole source of income, what else am I gonna do? This may end up being the only work I do for the rest of the year.

image.png.af3669d4fd3ca9d8d6c651b5b087b074.png

You're playing in tent on a caravan site?

Covid is the least of your problems. 😂

Joking aside, it looks stunning.

Hope it all goes well and safely. 

Edited by Newfoundfreedom
  • Haha 1

To be fair, it is really lovely there. The owners are a couple who are super nice. We're well treated, decent pay and a very appreicative audience so it should be nice.

The only issue now will be bagging that parrot and getting it back through customs... now where did I put that folding cage?

• Like 2

Does playing on a stage to three people in the building, and having it broadcast live, count as a gig?

If so, to my utter surprise, probably the middle of August.

I am surprised because it is a church band that is being formed during lockdown, and two (or three) of the band members, have not played together before.  However, two of them are professional / experienced musicians. 

I am also surprised to be asked - it's amazing what a good impression turning up, and playing in time with the drummer, can make . . . 

• Like 1

On 30/06/2020 at 15:49, ricksterphil said:

We sort of have a gig on the 11th July but it's not live as we are being recorded (20 mins set) for broadcast on July 25th for Notts Pride. Not quite the same as a live gig, but it's close. It will certainly be the grandest venue we've played in

ballroom.jpg

Just completed this gig. Went pretty well except the bell mic fell off the sax and no-one noticed and one of the guitarists broke a string. We only did 4 numbers 🙂. Stage was nice! Pic of the singer/songwriter on before us

IMG_20200711_152841.jpg

• Like 2

On 10/07/2020 at 12:39, Woodinblack said:

I am getting a lot of 'when are we going to be practicing again' sort of hassle from my new band, I mean we are not even gig ready so I am not sure why but getting the feeling they are getting fed up with my reluctance to die for the sake of getting some tunes ready. Not sure how that is going to play out.

I imagine this is happening in quite a few places. Now that things are opened it seems like a lot of people think it was all for nothing and it is just the government overreacting (as opposed to my opinion that it was the government underreacting).

I've told mine the criterion. I've said when the official new infection figure (and that is just the tip of the iceberg) is <100. That's it. They can't hassle. Current official new infection number is hovering around 500 - 600 and not going down. Today masks were mandated, which is a good thing because otherwise the projection looks like this https://covid19.healthdata.org/united-kingdom

• Like 2

On 07/07/2020 at 02:49, Bluewine said:

MAPLE ROAD

THIS SATURDAY July 11th!! Still some tickets available! 2 hour Vista King Concert Cruise on beautiful Lake Michigan! Boards at 8:30 pm sharp and your first drink is free! Join the party!

Guys, I'm concerned about this gig. They have cut the capacity in half for distancing but I'm still considered.I plan on staying away from everyone 

FB_IMG_1594065455059.jpg

FB_IMG_1593332469710.jpg

FB_IMG_1593332179322.jpg

THANK YOU to the Milwaukee Boat Line  and the Vista King for hosting another great concert cruise last night! We had a blast as usual! Being the first of the season with the new Covid restrictions in place, no one knew quite what to expect, but we would strongly recommend getting tickets to an upcoming cruise! The staff did a great job, and with the limited tickets available and open air upper deck, there is more than enough room to move about, dance the night away and practice social distancing! The crew wear masks throughout the night, and passengers need one while waiting in line to board, and while on the lower level (because it is enclosed) which is where the bar and restrooms are located. All in all, a GREAT experience for all!! 
Thank you to our friend Jim  Kennedy for the photos!

facebook_1594625930587_6688345919166175308.jpg

FB_IMG_1594624953522.jpg

Edited by Bluewine
  • Like 8

36 minutes ago, TwoTimesBass said:

Apologies @Bluewine I was being facetious, from the picture it looked like you had whole load of random speakers behind your head!

Hope this is the first of a series of gigs for you and the band, lots of us in the UK can't wait to get back to it.

I have no idea what those speakers were for. Old boat stuff I reckon.

Blue

• Confused 1

We were going to do an outside gig this weekend and stream it. 

I was due to go over to our studio to collect my cab, meeting our singer there who has the key, on Monday, but i was busy. Got a text from him yesterday (Tuesday) morning cancelling as he thinks he has the virus. He became fully symptomatic overnight. Turns out his next door neighbour is a confirmed case. 

Stay safe out there. 

• Sad 1

10 hours ago, Bluewine said:

THANK YOU to the Milwaukee Boat Line  and the Vista King for hosting another great concert cruise last night! We had a blast as usual! Being the first of the season with the new Covid restrictions in place, no one knew quite what to expect, but we would strongly recommend getting tickets to an upcoming cruise! The staff did a great job, and with the limited tickets available and open air upper deck, there is more than enough room to move about, dance the night away and practice social distancing! The crew wear masks throughout the night, and passengers need one while waiting in line to board, and while on the lower level (because it is enclosed) which is where the bar and restrooms are located. All in all, a GREAT experience for all!! 
Thank you to our friend Jim  Kennedy for the photos!

facebook_1594625930587_6688345919166175308.jpg

FB_IMG_1594624953522.jpg

Centre stage for the bass player. I'm impressed @Bluewine .

• Like 1

Not sure how this 'live music outside' is going to work.  The information around these parts that is coming back from venues is that the audience has to be seated and you can't have 'lively' music that would encourage dancing and/or loud singing.  That pretty much rules us out then until some level of normality for inside gigs can be resumed with minimal risk. 

1 hour ago, martthebass said:

Not sure how this 'live music outside' is going to work.  The information around these parts that is coming back from venues is that the audience has to be seated and you can't have 'lively' music that would encourage dancing and/or loud singing.

Yeh, that would rule us out too, we are a band to dance and sing to, without that what is the point?

Hmm.. maybe time to start a new prog band..

Edited by Woodinblack
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, martthebass said:

Not sure how this 'live music outside' is going to work.  The information around these parts that is coming back from venues is that the audience has to be seated and you can't have 'lively' music that would encourage dancing and/or loud singing.  That pretty much rules us out then until some level of normality for inside gigs can be resumed with minimal risk. 

27 minutes ago, Woodinblack said:

Yeh, that would rule us out too, we are a band to dance and sing to, without that what is the point?

Hmm.. maybe time to start a new prog band..

Saw on Facebook that Beverley Knight's outdoor "Drive in" gig has been cancelled. I hate to say it but I don't think gigs in earnest are gonna happen until Level 1 / Vaccine / C-19 magically disappears. That won't be until maybe middle of 2021 going on the way the UK is working through the threat levels (in my estimation).

I had a WhatsApp discussion with the singer in one of my bands, and we agreed that C-19 is forcing people to think more creatively... By that, I mean people recording remotely and putting cover videos out, or maybe even going back to writing their own original material and putting that out into the world. It might be a leveller for all age groups to do this, and we may even get back to a stage where some really great and new material comes to the fore.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, martthebass said:

We played an outdoor gig on Saturday. It was good to play but the audience was split out in to roped off pens with table and chairs that each group had to stay in - their food and drink was brought to them.  They had to prebook their pen. They could dance within their own little area but it was quite strange.