Why become a member? ×

When will you start gigging again?

julietgreen

3 minutes ago, Paul S said:

Had a first rehearsal with my blues/rock trio last week.  Drummer is a farmer and has a wonderful old C12 thatched barn on site.  Mahoosive space, 30ft ceilings etc.  Shame we didn't record it as the guitarist seemed to have 3 months of lockdown angst pouring out of his fingertips :)  So nice to be making music again. 

Home01.jpg

That is stunning.

• Like 1

I had put together a covers band last year, rehearsals were only once every two weeks due to my shift pattern, and progress was very slow. Since Coronavirus hit, I haven’t missed playing at all, and haven’t really played much at home either, apart from making a couple of YouTube videos.

I’m gradually getting to the point where I really can’t be bothered with it anymore. Starting rehearsals again seems like a waste of time, and there is a strong possibility I’ll sell most of my gear at some point. 

• Sad 2

4 hours ago, Paul S said:

Had a first rehearsal with my blues/rock trio last week.  Drummer is a farmer and has a wonderful old C12 thatched barn on site.  Mahoosive space, 30ft ceilings etc.  Shame we didn't record it as the guitarist seemed to have 3 months of lockdown angst pouring out of his fingertips :)  So nice to be making music again. 

Home01.jpg

I thought I had a nice barn to play in, but even I have barn envy at that. 

IMG_20200215_205401_680.jpg

• Like 8

I usually just do deps, but everything I had booked in for this year was cancelled.

Now I've been offered a dep gig in Surrey for next month  😊

It's a 1950's doowop band.  😳

It's playing at a large care home, in the gardens.  :sad:

It's paying peanuts. 😨

Will I take it?  Of course I will !   😁  👍

Might end up being the only gig I do this year !  :shok:

It looks at though the last festival gig I would be playing this year has just been postponed until 2021.

It all very well being told that the gigs will go ahead the following year, but will the bands I play in still be wanted? I can understand promoters and audiences being happy to wait an extra year for the headliners and other top of the bill bands, but both of my bands arein the bottom half of any festival line-ups and  one of them got the majority of this year's bookings because they would co-incide our second album coming out. By this time next year that album will no longer be brand new. As a promoter I'd be looking very hard at the bottom half of any festival I was putting together and having a re-think about whether I was going to keep to full original line-up or go for some newer, more current acts.

Actually my blues band had a crafty little party gig on Saturday.  Open air in a small wood, 20 people, nearest house was a mile away.  Bit breezy, mind.  Guitarist stuck his iPad in front of us and it came out OK, surprisingly.  New pa coped admirably outside, bass, vocal and kick going through, not that we were hugely loud but it was pretty focussed.  

Bit of 'no frills' slide :) 

56 minutes ago, Stub Mandrel said:

Do you do any Cactus covers?

🙂

Yes, we play 'Evil'.  :)  Great tune. 

I always ask if anyone in the 'audience' has heard of a band called Cactus and to my astonishment one time someone said 'yes'. :) 

• Like 1

On 05/07/2020 at 13:35, Newfoundfreedom said:

I thought I had a nice barn to play in, but even I have barn envy at that. 

IMG_20200215_205401_680.jpg

I don't think it can be classed as a good point in life, when rehearsal studios are nicer than where you live :( 

• Haha 5

MAPLE ROAD

THIS SATURDAY July 11th!! Still some tickets available! 2 hour Vista King Concert Cruise on beautiful Lake Michigan! Boards at 8:30 pm sharp and your first drink is free! Join the party!

Guys, I'm concerned about this gig. They have cut the capacity in half for distancing but I'm still considered.I plan on staying away from everyone 

FB_IMG_1594065455059.jpg

FB_IMG_1593332469710.jpg

FB_IMG_1593332179322.jpg

Edited by Bluewine
  • Like 5

On 02/07/2020 at 18:13, casapete said:

Well, perhaps inevitably, the last remaining gig in my diary for 2020 has been cancelled. Was going to be a Sunday afternoon outside with properly organised spacing and everything. However, the venue has said they can’t get a guarantee from their insurers to cover the event so that’s it. Must admit I’m pretty pis*ed off now, and am having to think about alternative employment. Even if gigs are allowed in early 2021 it’s still over 6 months away and I’ll need to earn money somehow before that. With all the regular news of companies cutting their workforce or closing completely I’m guessing what work is out there will be very much in demand. I’m 62 and have never been without work ( or claimed any benefits ) all my life, so not looking forward to it at all. 

Something will give and things will change. Gigs are in the not to distant future.

Blue

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Bluewine said:

Something will give and things will change. Gigs are in the not to distant future.

Blue

Cheers Blue, right now I’d be happy with gigs starting again over here from early 2021.

• Like 1

I joined my latest band in Feb and we were rehearsing for a late march gig, then had 2-3 gigs per months through the year. I had to shield as did one of the guitarists so we are all wary of infection. We have a large hall for rehersasal but feel its too early for that yet. One gig still on the books for 22nd August but I can't see either us, or the venue wanting that to go ahead.

I can see an upsurge in what I call professional Karaoke singers being the norm for some while in the clubs we were booked at. Much easier to accomodate than five big blokes with guitars and drums. Of coures the gigs will be fewer and the pay will be lower but boy do I miss playing live.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, julietgreen said:

So much good sense on this thread. I think bass players should be in government.

We'd never be able to agree on the cabinet, though.

2x12? 1x15? 4x10?? The possibilities (and arguments) are endless!

• Like 1
  • Haha 10

On 06/07/2020 at 12:46, musicbassman said:

I usually just do deps, but everything I had booked in for this year was cancelled.

Now I've been offered a dep gig in Surrey for next month  😊

It's a 1950's doowop band.  😳

It's playing at a large care home, in the gardens.  :sad:

It's paying peanuts. 😨

Will I take it?  Of course I will !   😁  👍

Might end up being the only gig I do this year !  :shok:

Be careful if they're paying you peanuts.

The old folk have probably sucked the chocolate off them. 

• Haha 2

On 04/07/2020 at 11:29, Trueno said:

Commiserations to Leicester-dwellers. I live in Kirklees... which gets "mentioned in despatches" occasionally... so we may be building up to something here, too...

Grew up in Cleckheaton and mum still lives there so got to hear about the food processing place there.

• Like 1