Why become a member? ×

When will you start gigging again?

julietgreen

10 minutes ago, leschirons said:

Started again,  at 9.00pm Last night. (Friday) Just got in. Resaurant/bar gig, outside, about half as many as we usually pull in there so punters being hesitant.

Went down well, got fed, got paid. 

Not back to normal, but it's a start.

20200703_194952.jpg

I’m a bit confused as to how this occurred. I thought tomorrow was the kick off?

I’ve requested a postponement of our October gig as I don’t think standing gigs will be particularly popular even then. Adjourned until July 2021. Everything else for 2020 has been cancelled by the venue. I’m resigned to not gigging this year. One of the band has been involved in a serious road traffic collision and will require surgery in the last half of 2020. Date TBC. 

All a bit crappy really. I look forward to a few productive rehearsals where we can work on some obscure Bowie back catalogue.

Magic Dance?

• Sad 1

14 minutes ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

I’m a bit confused as to how this occurred. I thought tomorrow was the kick off?

There have been gigs in France since last week. We were booked for last Friday (26th) It was cancelled, but only due to impending bad weather.

2 minutes ago, leschirons said:

There have been gigs in France since last week. We were booked for last Friday (26th) It was cancelled, but only due to impending bad weather.

Ah, sorry man. Didn’t realise you were abroad. Very pleased you’ve managed a gig tho mate. I know it was down on audience numbers, but I bet it felt great didn’t it - to be out there again?

5 hours ago, leschirons said:

Started again,  at 9.00pm Last night. (Friday) Just got in. Resaurant/bar gig, outside, about half as many as we usually pull in there so punters being hesitant.

Went down well, got fed, got paid. 

Not back to normal, but it's a start.

20200703_194952.jpg

Congratulations, how was it, playing again? Weird or a relief?

I haven’t played since back in March. We‘re supposedly playing 4 days fron 16th-19th July in Norway. After that it’s anyone’s guess for the remainder of the year.

We were considering streaming a no audience gig from our rehearsal rooms, but that's blown out as the rehearsal rooms are in Leicester! 

Our next scheduled gig was late July, that's already been cancelled, so next opportunity to play now is October.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

I’ve requested a postponement of our October gig as I don’t think standing gigs will be particularly popular even then. Adjourned until July 2021. Everything else for 2020 has been cancelled by the venue. I’m resigned to not gigging this year. One of the band has been involved in a serious road traffic collision and will require surgery in the last half of 2020. Date TBC. 

All a bit crappy really. I look forward to a few productive rehearsals where we can work on some obscure Bowie back catalogue.

Magic Dance?

Wow - who's that, Warren?😥

2 hours ago, SICbass said:

Congratulations, how was it, playing again? Weird or a relief?

I haven’t played since back in March. We‘re supposedly playing 4 days fron 16th-19th July in Norway. After that it’s anyone’s guess for the remainder of the year.

Yes, it did feel a little weird. We'd managed one rehearsal two weeks ago and the singer's other band played a week ago so she'd had a chance to blow the dust off. Great seeing people turn up eager to listen to live music again.  Felt really good to interact with great band mates again. Only down side was all that f@#$%*g equipment they insist on bringing😆

I just hope that enough venues will get to survive.

32 minutes ago, leschirons said:

Yes, it did feel a little weird. We'd managed one rehearsal two weeks ago and the singer's other band played a week ago so she'd had a chance to blow the dust off. Great seeing people turn up eager to listen to live music again.  Felt really good to interact with great band mates again. Only down side was all that f@#$%*g equipment they insist on bringing😆

I just hope that enough venues will get to survive.

I say, "the only down-side" however,  I had no idea until just now that my wife had taken a pic of the annoying pillock who'd found a tambourine hanging on the wall inside an decided to join in..sadly, in front of me😂

Tambotwat.jpg

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, FinnDave said:

We were considering streaming a no audience gig from our rehearsal rooms, but that's blown out as the rehearsal rooms are in Leicester! 

Our next scheduled gig was late July, that's already been cancelled, so next opportunity to play now is October.

Ah yes we are in the forbidden city of Leicester.

Made me realise that if more localised lockdowns are to be expected it will really affect gigging.

If anywhere any member of the band is coming from, or the place we are playing, gets covered by a lockdown at relatively short notice (as with Leicester) that’ll be a massive problem. 

4 hours ago, Paul S said:

Wow - who's that, Warren?😥

Nat. Broken foot. Query broken hand. Requires surgery on her hip.

She’s OK. Hospital messed her about a bit with the x-rays. Car is a write off though. Happened a few weeks ago, so no immediate cause for concern. Just need to get her fixed 😀

Edited by hiram.k.hackenbacker
  • Sad 1

First rehearsal booked for the 26th! 🙂Fortunately our rehearsal space (a friend's barn) is about 5000 square feet. It'll be good just to play along with other people again! 

As much as I'd love to be out there gigging again right now, the restrictions are still in place for a reason.

One of the venues we play at is located on a village green and often has bands outside in a Marquee for beer festivals, village fêtes, carnivals etc. They've said that they'll have us on outside once they are allowed to do so - provided that's not late enough in the year for the weather to be getting too cold for it. Unfortunately though I suspect we'll be well into the colder months before that happens so, like most people, realistically expecting it to be next year now before we gig again. 

2 rehearsals in the last 2 weeks. Great to be back at it.  We're not expecting to be doing any pub gigs this year.  We're using the time to write new stuff. 4 new songs on the go already. 

TBH I think the break has refreshed us a little.

I'm kind of on the other side of this (nothing unusual there). But then the band thing is very much just a hobby for me. My heart really goes out to those of you who work in the music industry and rely on it for a living. It's extremely difficult and worrying times indeed. 

For my part, I'm loving working at a relaxed pace with my new band, which are actually selective former members of my old band, and having plenty of time to come up with new and original material without the added pressure to "get out there gigging". The other former members of my old band played their first gig last night. Rattling out the same covers we were doing a year ago, with a new bass player and drummer. Rather than being envious of them gigging, at 7pm last night when they would have been setting up and getting ready to go on, I was cringing at the thought and breathing a sigh of relief. Perfectly content with my feet up in front of the telly, after working on recording a new track in my home studio in the afternoon. Horses for courses really. But I'm far happier in the rehearsal room or studio than I ever was on stage. Whereas the other ex members priority was gigging as much as possible. So breaking up the old band actually turned out to be a win win for everyone involved. 

• Like 2

I’m really glad I’m not in a band that is crying out for gigs at present, I think a good amount of time should be spent analysing the opening of non essential retail and pubs before freeing up gigs. Make sure it’s safe to move forwards before taking the first step so to speak.

• Like 3

Yes Lozz, all of the above. I had a conversation with our guitarist yesterday and we both agreed no hurry. However I do know some professional musicians, really talented guys who, like a lot of musos, scrape along at the best of times. It’s those I feel very sorry for and I hope they get back in work before too long. I’ve always felt that music is the best hobby but not the best way of earning a living. With a few exceptions, of course.

• Like 2

Had a first rehearsal with my blues/rock trio last week.  Drummer is a farmer and has a wonderful old C12 thatched barn on site.  Mahoosive space, 30ft ceilings etc.  Shame we didn't record it as the guitarist seemed to have 3 months of lockdown angst pouring out of his fingertips :)  So nice to be making music again. 

Home01.jpg

• Like 4