Why become a member? ×

When will you start gigging again?

julietgreen

Well we have outdoor slot booked for 4th July - very big beer garden with semi permanent large covered stage. @steantval you'll know the place,  The Black Horse in Elton....

Actually playing the gig won't be an issue, and for punters there is a huge amount of room outside. The tricky bit for us I think will be the loading in and out and the setup and take down. We're doing our 'risk assessment' on Thursday to decide if it is worth it. 

• Like 1

I had some European dates in March and April get cancelled. And some in October as well. Got an email yesterday asking me if I'm okay with the March/April dates being rescheduled for next March! I've got no other gigs in the diary until then and no fixed income either. I know it's safety first and all that, but I'm still a bit gutted. I just want to play live again.

• Like 2

We’re going to try one of those live stream thingamabobs in July. Set up in the drummer’s garden (suitably spaced from a social distancing perspective) and knock out an ‘unplugged’ set. It’ll be nice to see the band again and just play.

• Like 2

Some good news and some bad for me, so I’ll start with the bad.

A large hotel near me has closed it’s doors for good following the Covid outbreak. Whilst it was probably struggling before that, like many businesses on the edge it was enough to push them over. I’ve played at many functions and weddings there over the last 40+ years so very sad to see it go. It was also my only gig still booked for 2020 - I’ve played there every New Years Eve for some years with friends, so gutted that it’s ended. Am sure it won’t be the only casualty either.

On a brighter note, I have a provisional gig booked for July with my acoustic duo. It’s an outside gig with appropriate social distancing, so looking forward to it. The only proviso is that the weather is good, if it rains then that will be my only remaining gig of the year down the plug hole. Fingers crossed. 🙂

• Like 2

Maple Road Blues Band kicks off our first outdoor concert June 25 at 7 pm! $5 admission to limit capacity to 250 people. What you need to know here: https://www.thelmaarts.org/press/thelma-sadoff-center-for-the-arts-announces-restructure-of-11-thursdays-of-summer-concert-series/

Friday Night June 26th we have a private Corporate Event. Busy week for Maple Road

Blue

FB_IMG_1591115445798.jpg

• Like 2

I'm not sure when I will gig again exactly as I'm not in a band presently, but an upside to this lockdown has been me reconnecting with past band members on social media and video chats. People realising who and what are important once everyone took their feet off the gas.

There's a band for me on the horizon. A very good band.

• Like 3

No gigs booked for me either, and some promising collaborations we were getting together are now on hold. That said I don't rely on gigs for a living, and my heart goes out to those that do and have lost bookings.

Been jamming once a week with some friends on a driveway, keeping appropriate distance, and I have to say it's done wonders for me in these times. Ok the music isn't always the best, but it's brought a smile to those playing and people walking past on the street will stop and listen for a couple of mins, sometimes offering unexpected applause! Made new musical contacts too, a lot of players walking past and desperate to play any music at the moment coming to join in.

Not the same as a gig, but great for my musical/mental wellbeing

• Like 6

I thought some of our gigs booked for October/November may have been OK, I really cannot see them happening now, 2020 is going to be a complete write off, pubs/venues will not survive even with the new measures announced yesterday.

I’m beginning to believe my live playing days are over, I really hope I am wrong.

• Sad 3

After this latest guidance we've written off the remainder of the gigs in our calendar up to the end of the year which means about 30 gigs cancelled since the start of lockdown.  We have a few that have been moved into next year but I could see a good 30-50% of our venues not reopening or changing their plans with respect to live music going forward.

• Sad 3

Probably none till next year now, I’m not holding my breath. When we do resume my DB fingers will be well shredded. And I’ll be a year older, that much closer to Gods waiting room. Waiting for the Glastonbury call maybe. Or not.

Its all cheerful isn’t it.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, bassace said:

Probably none till next year now, I’m not holding my breath. When we do resume my DB fingers will be well shredded. And I’ll be a year older, that much closer to Gods waiting room. Waiting for the Glastonbury call maybe. Or not.

Its all cheerful isn’t it.

Marvin lives!

• Haha 1