Why become a member? ×

When will you start gigging again?

julietgreen

2 minutes ago, FinnDave said:

I love playing gigs because of the synergy between band and audience - and I just can't see how that can be achieved through video link, as the audience are going to be a group of individuals all around the country, or further afield. No audience feedback means it's just a rehearsal to me. If that's the best we look forward to in the next few years (and hopefully it isn't), then I'll be selling up.

Agree with your comments there Dave, although I'm trying to remain hopeful that Covid-19 will eventually disappear (or an effective vaccine / drug treatment for it is found) so that we can all get back to playing gigs and doing rehearsals in enclosed spaces. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Newfoundfreedom said:

You could all move to Bulgaria. I've got a spare room. 😂

The bars are open. Gigs are back on, and my band is now rehearsing again. 

Bit of a commute though, especially when we have to quarantine when we get back. Although as I am working from home I guess it doesn't matter where the home is!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, louisthebass said:

Agree with your comments there Dave, although I'm trying to remain hopeful that Covid-19 will eventually disappear (or an effective vaccine / drug treatment for it is found) so that we can all get back to playing gigs and doing rehearsals in enclosed spaces. 

I very much hope you're right - there's so much negativity around that it's hard to remain optimistic. Maybe another drink will help!

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, inthedoghouse said:

I wonder if that's been put in place while the country is still at level 4. If that's the case, then it's understandable as @Lozz196 said although I don't think any of us were expecting to get back to gigging as soon as July 4th comes round....

Edited by louisthebass
Grammar
  • Like 1

52 minutes ago, louisthebass said:

Thought this worth sharing, although I think the guy in the video is being a bit hopeful about getting some kind of live music in his pub in August....

I hope he`s successful in getting it back up & running, The Odds is a great little music venue, and Brett is a decent guy, knows how to run a good music venue.

• Like 3

We've still got gigs booked July, October & December, but in truth I doubt that they'll happen.

Having said that, I was invited to an open air rehearsal with a band I depped with several times between Christmas and lockdown, and it felt great to play music with people again. Being outside, we kept the volume down (I was playing through one of the guitarists battery powered amps) and no vocal mics. Drums were bongos and a cajone. One of the singers is a GP so she ensured we maintained social distancing. 

A few people stopped to watch, but no more than a handful, certainly no crowds, so I don't think any rules were broken. I had to play with plasters on the first two fingers of my left hand having burnt them on the grill a week or two ago. But it was still a very refreshing dose of normality.

• Like 1

On 07/06/2020 at 17:32, Newfoundfreedom said:

You could all move to Bulgaria. I've got a spare room. 😂

The bars are open. Gigs are back on, and my band is now rehearsing again. 

I'm on my way to the airport right now, get the beer in the fridge. Have you arranged the flights for our 15 piece band plus support crew of 12 techs. :drinks:

Dave :laugh1:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 03/06/2020 at 13:17, bassace said:

Had a phone call this morning for a trio gig within the next two weeks for a Hospice fund raiser in a ‘large garden’. Piano player will be Vince Hill’s MD and John Mayall’s first drummer (Crawling up a Hill). You can’t get more eclectic than that.

Was due to do this yesterday but it was called off after common sense prevailed. So it might be rescheduled for a few weeks time, otherwise who knows.

• Like 1

I'm certainly very intrigued to see any solutions to getting bands back gigging in pubs as I just don't see how we can until social distancing ends. 

The idea of perspex screens seemed good, a complete screen across the front of the stage area, band behind screen and PA and crowd in front. We always all go through the PA anyway so it would be easy for us. The band members could agree to be a social bubble if they were all happy with what each other were doing to stay safe. It seems great, but then I remember that a small pub that has a hundred people in normally for a gig can only have 10 to 15 in with social distancing and I don't know any pubs that can or will pay a band to attract a crowd of ten. It's just not sustainable. I swing between hopelessly optimistic one day and then negative the next. I'm really intrigued to see how the first pubs tackle the situation. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Any chance of us rehearsing for a while is very unlikely as our lead guitarist is waiting to start Chemo - he’s one of the unfortunate patients who is having to be patient.  We wish him well, obviously.

But I have played in a virtual band for our church services, each of us recording at home then it’s mixed, but it’s not the same, obviously

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Maude said:

I'm certainly very intrigued to see any solutions to getting bands back gigging in pubs as I just don't see how we can until social distancing ends. 

The idea of perspex screens seemed good, a complete screen across the front of the stage area, band behind screen and PA and crowd in front. We always all go through the PA anyway so it would be easy for us. The band members could agree to be a social bubble if they were all happy with what each other were doing to stay safe. It seems great, but then I remember that a small pub that has a hundred people in normally for a gig can only have 10 to 15 in with social distancing and I don't know any pubs that can or will pay a band to attract a crowd of ten. It's just not sustainable. I swing between hopelessly optimistic one day and then negative the next. I'm really intrigued to see how the first pubs tackle the situation. 

Where musicians are concerned, it'll probably be duos to start with. Full bands won't be in until social distancing ends.

This is going slightly OT, but I don't see how small hospitality venues like pubs can effectively open up, even with social distancing - the loos are generally pretty small, and how are the pubs going to effectively manage punters who are "staggering" and likely to bump into people? 🤔

• Like 1

17 hours ago, julietgreen said:

Are they fit to show us yet?

Yes, nothing gory anymore, there is just a patch of fresh skin where the burns were, so a bit sensitive to the touch of the strings (naturally, the burn were exactly were the pressure of the strings falls on the fingers). Need time to get the callouses back before I can play without thinking about them again.

I would post a picture taken soon after the incident, but it's not pleasant!

• Like 1

On 31/05/2020 at 18:43, julietgreen said:

We have a gig booked for August which hasn't been cancelled yet. I suspect I won't be going. I shall set myself a criterion based on the maximum number of newly infected nationwide before go back into public arenas.

What about you?

some of the things that I was booked for  in 2020 have gone to online streamed shows instead.

I expect I won't play a "real life" shows until 2021 and I see I'll only really play the sort of shows I've always wanted to play.

• Like 1

On 14/06/2020 at 17:20, louisthebass said:

Thought this worth sharing, although I think the guy in the video is being a bit hopeful about getting some kind of live music in his pub in August....

The two bands that Brett references there are actually mine!

"The Bulldogs" is his attempt to remember The Junkyard Dogs (70s covers), and "Damon & The Dynamites" is a much better stab at Damo & The Dynamites (rockabilly).

• Like 3