Why become a member? ×

When will you start gigging again?

julietgreen

I’m not realistically expecting to get back gigging until next year. 

I was still taking bookings for dates in September just before lockdown when it all seemed a long way in the future. But realistically what is going to have changed by then?

Infection rates may fall but as long as the disease is still around then the social distancing restrictions will be in place, venues will be struggling etc. How to even get a band together onstage socially distanced would be impossible for most of my gigs. Solo gigs outdoors at little summer events maybe.

Im of the school of thought that a second peak and second lockdown will happen so I’m not making any plans just yet.

• Like 1

On 01/06/2020 at 18:16, davegriffiths91 said:

I was scheduled for a cruise contract beginning of September, it hasnt been cancelled....yet?

Was it with P&O?

I read earlier they’ve cancelled now until October.

Update - a pub where we were booked to play on 4th July believe that they will be allowed to open (with social distancing, natch) that weekend. They want to do an early-evening outdoor event in their large garden with a BBQ, and with us performing unplugged outside. As a band, we'd never actually need to enter the pub if we didn't want to.

Two of us have said we're up for that, the third wants 48 hours to think it through. I'll keep you posted.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Happy Jack said:

Update - a pub where we were booked to play on 4th July believe that they will be allowed to open (with social distancing, natch) that weekend. They want to do an early-evening outdoor event in their large garden with a BBQ, and with us performing unplugged outside. As a band, we'd never actually need to enter the pub if we didn't want to.

Two of us have said we're up for that, the third wants 48 hours to think it through. I'll keep you posted.

Nice one. We have a gig on the 4th July booked, but haven’t heard if its going ahead and really doubt it will. I dont think my drummer would do it, but he is on his way out anyway. 

Our guitarist emailed this morning saying things are improving, looks like pubs will be opening in July and shall we have a rehearsal next Wednesday.

We think he is living in a parallel universe to the other three of us in the band, the rest of us have replied with a blunt refusal and rehearsing will not be happening for some time yet.

• Like 2

We have a gig at the end of October... it's my son's wedding... as you can imagine, I'm really hoping that one goes ahead :) 

We have a few in the pipeline before then, but TBH I'm fully expecting almost all of them to be cancelled/postponed. As many others have said, I will gig when I feel it's safe to do so (venues permitting), not when the govt tells me I can. My health puts me mildly 'at-risk' so I'm taking no chances. 

29 minutes ago, spike said:

Optimistic me says I'll be gigging again in September. Pessimistic me thinks it will be next year. 

What has surprised me is how little I've missed it.

God, I'm the opposite. It's like I've lost a limb or something. I cannot wait to get back out there, but only when it's safe.

• Like 2

I’m thinking more of rehearsing here, but It’s not as many seem to think just a case of social distancing. If you’re in an enclosed space pretty soon you’re going to be breathing in the same air that someone has breathed out. I know some have air conditioning, but not all do, and those that do, how often are they serviced?

• Like 2

Had a phone call this morning for a trio gig within the next two weeks for a Hospice fund raiser in a ‘large garden’. Piano player will be Vince Hill’s MD and John Mayall’s first drummer (Crawling up a Hill). You can’t get more eclectic than that.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Rich said:

God, I'm the opposite. It's like I've lost a limb or something. I cannot wait to get back out there, but only when it's safe.

Thats why I'm surprised, I was expecting to feel like you are. This is the first time in around ten years I've not been gigging 2-3 times a month, maybe I needed a break anyway. 

2 hours ago, ambient said:

If you’re in an enclosed space pretty soon you’re going to be breathing in the same air that someone has breathed out. I know some have air conditioning, but not all do, and those that do, how often are they serviced?

My home studio does have aircon BUT cheap aircon like mine is usually recycing the air in the room rather than pumping in fresh.

Our last rehearsal was on BH Monday in a wood above Great Missenden. Seriously.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Happy Jack said:

My home studio does have aircon BUT cheap aircon like mine is usually recycing the air in the room rather than pumping in fresh.

I bet that was great though. A friend of mine went out to the woods by him the other day and did an impromptu gig for the wildlife.

'Twas a lot of fun, especially since it was our first rehearsal in 10 weeks, and also the first time I'd played DB seriously in the same time.

Won't be letting the guitarist use a bloody resonator guitar again, though. Those things are as strident as a banjo.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

We had gigs booked this coming Friday (Portsmouth) and Saturday (Camden) which, needless to say aren't happening. Next gig as-yet uncanceled is end of July, also in Camden. I think it vey unlikely it will go ahead.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Happy Jack said:

Intrigued, tell me more, one of our guitarists must live within a mile of this place but he's never mentioned it. is it a proper rehearsal room?