Why become a member? ×

When will you start gigging again?

julietgreen

Just now, casapete said:

Honestly think my next gig may be NYE. Hoping so as it’s local and a good payer too. That’s if I can remember how to set my gear up and play of course....😉

Ironically we hadn't taken a NYE booking before the poo hit, could be the first time I have to watch Jools Holland in many a year.....

XMas eve may still be on though.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, NickD said:

Chatting with a consultant friend of mine over the weekend, and he's on alert for a big spike in July/August.... I'm not planning on going anywhere in the near future. Gigs can wait.

That’s what my sister in law said no more than two hours ago. She bought the boys over to see my mom and dad, they just sat in the garden for half an hour, maintaining social distancing, she wore a mask too. She’s a doctor, she’s expecting the big spike much sooner. Gigs and travel can wait, I’m definitely in no rush, I can’t work out why people would be. There’s a friend of mine from university who’s been in hospital for the last five weeks with Coronavirus. He spent four of those weeks in a medically induced coma. I only found out last week, he posted a video on Facebook.

It’s a horrible disease. You might be lucky and just have mild symptoms, then again it could kill you. Those it doesn’t kill are often left with life changing health problems. Why take the risk is what I think. 

• Like 4

When we were furloughed our van driver went and got a job at Fords building the Ventilators. About 3 weeks ago he said they finished the first 18,000. That week the government placed another order for 32;000. 

They have always said its coming back. This lockdown was to slow the first spike so they could get things in to place. 

I've been asked to play at an informal gathering of six people outside with enforced social distancing on the weekend, and was looking forward to it, but no idea whether I'll be able to now that I've burnt my fingers. Hospital said that the fact that it hurt like hell is a good sign, if a burn doesn't hurt it's more serious, apparently. Of course, the burns are on exactly that of the fingers that fret the strings….

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I’m not sure how soon pub type gigs will be back. Given the need for social distancing, that cuts down audience size. Given the amount of space that a band needs that further reduces space - so therefore capacity in the pub. The band will then want paying. All this is reducing the money coming in to the pub. Whereas if they space tables out throughout, in accordance with distancing regs, and everyone on the tables is having a meal & a few drinks, well that’s maximising the amount of money they can likely get. And at present they need it - and I don’t think they’ll need to be putting entertainment on to entice people in. 

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, dave_bass5 said:

When we were furloughed our van driver went and got a job at Fords building the Ventilators. About 3 weeks ago he said they finished the first 18,000. That week the government placed another order for 32;000. 

They have always said its coming back. This lockdown was to slow the first spike so they could get things in to place. 

But if you get badly enough that you need a ventilator your chances of surviving are under 50%.

Then if you are obese it's far worse than that.

The end of the lockdown just means there is some room in ICU.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Happy Jack said:

Interesting responses here. My head is somewhere else entirely from most on BC by the look of it, and I'll be gigging again the moment venues start putting bands on again. If that's 2021 then it's 2021, if it's next week then it's next week.

My choice, no preaching happening here.

You've got some nice basses....

DIBS! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

38 minutes ago, Lozz196 said:

I’m not sure how soon pub type gigs will be back. Given the need for social distancing, that cuts down audience size. Given the amount of space that a band needs that further reduces space - so therefore capacity in the pub. The band will then want paying. All this is reducing the money coming in to the pub. Whereas if they space tables out throughout, in accordance with distancing regs, and everyone on the tables is having a meal & a few drinks, well that’s maximising the amount of money they can likely get. And at present they need it - and I don’t think they’ll need to be putting entertainment on to entice people in. 

It will be a whole new type of "Exposure!"

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, fretmeister said:

But if you get badly enough that you need a ventilator your chances of surviving are under 50%.

Then if you are obese it's far worse than that.

The end of the lockdown just means there is some room in ICU.

A lot of ‘if’s there. 

I stopped listening to the doom and gloom brigade a while ago. The chance of getting it is very low, and the figures show a lot more get over it than die from it. 

Ill take my chances. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, julietgreen said:

You really point up the attitude difference and the way things have been approached in Germany and the UK/US. People are talking about getting back to gigging here. You're saying that it's a game-changer until there's a vaccine. I tend to think more along those lines.

It just seems to me that promoters can’t afford to run venues at 50% capacity which is probably an over optimistic estimate of what it would have to be in order to observe social distancing properly. Also, it’s my understanding that the 1.5-2m rule is for up to 15 mins in enclosed spaces. Not a couple of hours like most gigs or shows.
The tough bit is trying to work on a new source of income with a five year old and an 8 year old with adhd at home 🤪... ho-hum...

Edited by SICbass
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, dave_bass5 said:

A lot of ‘if’s there. 

I stopped listening to the doom and gloom brigade a while ago. The chance of getting it is very low, and the figures show a lot more get over it than die from it. 

Ill take my chances. 

It’s not just your chances, it is also those of everyone you come into contact with. When it comes down to it – it is your life, but Darwin did note that nature has a way of sorting these things out.

Having said that, figures are coming down (perhaps not as quickly as one would like), there is a downward curve and things will get better. The problem is that some people are being completely irresponsible whereas others will be overly cautious. I suspect that the most reasonable approach is somewhere between the two extremes.

• Like 1

I'm not expecting to play any pub gigs this year.  Small outdoor festival-type events may be on the cards - There's a few invite-only bashes that people put on which are ace.   Suits me - I'm not that bothered about pub gigs anyway - festies are way more fun!

25 minutes ago, dave_bass5 said:

A lot of ‘if’s there. 

Ill take my chances. 

Fair do's.

I'm actually more scared that I might be an asymptomatic carrier and might give it to someone who doesn't know they are vulnerable. 

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, fretmeister said:

Fair do's.

I'm actually more scared that I might be an asymptomatic carrier and might give it to someone who doesn't know they are vulnerable. 

Don’t get me wrong, I’m not judging anyone. This is real life or death stuff, its just that i think the media and a hand in making it sound a lot more widespread than it is. Of course thats not to say the dangers aren't there, but some of the daily figures just seemed a bit odd sometimes, and hardly ever mentioned the high survival rate. 

For me, its get on with life but be as careful as i can.

Edited by dave_bass5
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, fretmeister said:

Fair do's.

That’s my huge, huge worry too. My mom had cancer 7 or 8 years ago. It left her with some health issues that would put her at serious risk. 

I think we have gigs booked in at the end of July which I am rather hoping are cancelled. It's a new band to me and despite all the time at home, my job has been manic fortunately, so I'm woefully underprepared.

I have a feeling that the band leader (drummer) who's retired and the keyboard player who's also retired may push for rehearsals soon, depending on social distancing rules. 

The female singer works in a school and the new male singer gigs as his main source of income, but has a very young son. I'd really rather not rehearse until the easing of lockdown has had a few weeks to bed in as at the moment I have a feeling we may be locked down again short-term given the way some of the idiots have behaved over the last few weekends. 

I think I won't say anything too much at this stage and go along with the flow. I'm hoping one of the others will looks to defer and say so before I do. That way I can look perhaps a bit more keen than I am: it's happened that way so far, so fingers crossed. 

Edited by Old Horse Murphy
  • Like 2