Why become a member? ×

When will you start gigging again?

julietgreen

We had a booking come in for August a couple of weeks ago, I've no expectation of playing it.

I wouldn't be surprised to see some smaller venues open up again at the end of the summer, only for lockdown to shut it all down again by the start of the winter.

• Like 2

I’d be very (pleasantly) surprised if my band manage any of our scheduled gigs before the end of the year. As the majority of our work is in theatres, I just can’t see how it will work with social distancing, and that’s if there are the theatres still open. Like a lot of other workers in the entertainment world, we will be some of the last to return to whatever ‘normal’ will be. We have 8  professional band members and 3 sound and lighting crew all relying on these gigs for our living, so it’s a massive blow to us.

(And just to rub it in, I should have been playing at the TT races on the sunny Isle of Man this weekend -  just hope we get the chance to rearrange it for next year. )

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

I’ve gone through various stages with this. 

Firstly I can’t see the smaller venues having live music as an option for the near future. They have a real challenge on their hands. The bigger venues we play would be easier for us as a band as only being four of us, we can maintain a distance from each other on stage/ back stage also no contact with guests. The risk is very much for the guests. Also three of us have all had the virus( although no solid evidence to support being less of a risk)

we have a few weddings booked, which I had written off. However talking to wedding planners, the industry is working on some processes to enable weddings to go ahead. One wedding package actually includes tests for guests 3 days before the events and temperature testing. 

One of the main ingredients in all our gigs, which does increase risk is alcohol. Peoples inhibitions reduce once the ‘groove juice’ kicks in. We’ve all experienced the impact it has, both good and bad 

I just don’t know

• Like 1

We're thinking of doing an open air rehearsal in my garden...

Luckily we don't have any near neighbours - though when we used to rehearse in my (uninsulated) garage a bloke from the other side of the valley (400m away) complained to the council. However, this same bloke complained about his next door neighbours unnecessarily burning rubbish and making excess noise, on November 5th. So we're not at all worried about offending Captain Miserable...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Leonard Smalls said:

Luckily we don't have any near neighbours - though when we used to rehearse in my (uninsulated) garage a bloke from the other side of the valley (400m away) complained to the council. However, this same bloke complained about his next door neighbours unnecessarily burning rubbish and making excess noise, on November 5th. So we're not at all worried about offending Captain Miserable...

Reminds me of a private holiday camp we used to play. A new resident on the other side of the Lake, on the perimeter of the campsite  used to open his window on the nights they had live music, and then complain to the local police about the disturbance. 

2 hours ago, Leonard Smalls said:

On a slightly different note, weren`t Sam & Raph meant to be getting married at Rebellion this year?

Interesting responses here. My head is somewhere else entirely from most on BC by the look of it, and I'll be gigging again the moment venues start putting bands on again. If that's 2021 then it's 2021, if it's next week then it's next week.

My choice, no preaching happening here.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Happy Jack said:

Interesting responses here. My head is somewhere else entirely from most on BC by the look of it, and I'll be gigging again the moment venues start putting bands on again. If that's 2021 then it's 2021, if it's next week then it's next week.

My choice, no preaching happening here.

Same here. I’ll also be rehearsing as soon as it’s allowed and our studio opens. It’s a big enough place that we aren’t on top of each other. 

• Like 1

In Isolation have two festival gigs coming up that haven't as yet been cancelled. Our big gig of this year has already been moved to 2021, and everything else we had lined up has been completely cancelled.

Hurtsfall having been working on our next set of recordings, but it's been slow going without being able to get everyone in the control room at the same time to hash out mix and production details Hopefully we'll get at least one of the tracks finished soon so we can get it released for either July or August. All the gigs we had lined up have been cancelled.

Neither band has done much more than a few rehearsals this year, and I suspect we will be pretty rusty when we are able to practice together again. I'd want to have at least a handful of practices before thinking of playing our next gig with either band.

Edited by BigRedX
  • Like 1

Right now I'm glad we can't play for a while as I've just burnt the tips of the first two fingers on my left hand. something went wrong with the grill on the oven, it was incredibly hot when I tried to remove the grill to turn my toast over. Burnt through the oven glove and left two deep brown grooves across my fingers. Bloody painful. That's this afternoon's practice plans gone, then. I'm typing this one handed as the burnt hand is in a bowl of water to try and stop the pain.

I'm saying very bad words but won't try typing them!

• Sad 1

7 minutes ago, Happy Jack said:

Good grief - feel your pain, bro!

So do I! Just checked NHS advice and they've told me to go to my local minor injuries dept. as the skin is definitely charred. I'd post a picture but it would put people off their lunches, especially if they're having toast!

Bars etc opening here in France as of tomorrow (Green regions) As the weather is usually good around now, the few we play are all capable of putting on gigs with plenty of outdoor space to adhere to distancing although, I'm not that keen until there is a vaccine available. We still have a few that weren't cancelled and just got offered another today for August but our drummer is on holiday. Sod's law. Haven't actually missed it as much as I thought I would.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, SICbass said:

I live in Germany. In all honesty, given the necessary rules of social distancing, I can’t see gigs in any sort of venue being viable before we have a reliable vaccine. This means, for me, finding a whole new living. I have lived from playing for 30 years.

You really point up the attitude difference and the way things have been approached in Germany and the UK/US. People are talking about getting back to gigging here. You're saying that it's a game-changer until there's a vaccine. I tend to think more along those lines.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, julietgreen said:

What will you use as your measure?

A zero chance of catching Covid. I don't trust the general public, I don't trust the government. Call me a tin foil hat wearer but it's not like we have come out the other side of this looking good. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, ClassicVibes said:

A zero chance of catching Covid. I don't trust the general public, I don't trust the government. Call me a tin foil hat wearer but it's not like we have come out the other side of this looking good. 

I told the bassist in the soul band where I play sax, that I wouldn't be available until the new infections were below 100. Zero chance of catching it may never happen. :(

3 hours ago, dave_bass5 said:

Just think how poor live music will be for the first few months lol. 

I think when we're all allowed back in rehearsal rooms, demand will go through the roof. Thankfully both my outfits have block bookings in place, but doubt neither will go out until they're gig sharp...

48 minutes ago, ClassicVibes said:

45 minutes ago, julietgreen said:

I told the bassist in the soul band where I play sax, that I wouldn't be available until the new infections were below 100. Zero chance of catching it may never happen. :(

IMO by the time there's zero chance of catching Covid-19 there will be something just as bad if not worse.

3 minutes ago, martthebass said:

Ditto, got about 20 gigs booked before then and now but don't really expect any to go ahead with the possible exception of a big bikers rally in September.

Honestly think my next gig may be NYE. Hoping so as it’s local and a good payer too. That’s if I can remember how to set my gear up and play of course....😉

• Like 1