Why become a member? ×

When will you start gigging again?

julietgreen

It.s a difficult one, I guess some of the really small open air festivals may be doable sooner rather than later but for indoor gigs and going to see bigger bands we will be driven by the figures of new infections I guess, hopefully Mrs2611 and I will both agree when that time feels right.

• Like 1

I live in Germany. In all honesty, given the necessary rules of social distancing, I can’t see gigs in any sort of venue being viable before we have a reliable vaccine. This means, for me, finding a whole new living. I have lived from playing for 30 years.

Edited by SICbass
  • Sad 3

20 hours ago, stewblack said:

One of my band leaders is fully intent on going out the moment the pubs open again. 

Suffice to say they will be using a dep on bass 🤣

I'd normally suggest giving them my number, but I'm in no hurry to test the waters either.

Edited by FinnDave
  • Like 2

Just now, FinnDave said:

I'd normally suggest giving them my number, but I'm in hurry to test the waters either.

luckily enough this band has what football pundits refer to as a utility player. The drummer is also a bass player. So we have one regular dep (a drummer) if I'm out drummer becomes our bassist. 

He even depped on guitar for us once. Swiss army knife musician! 

• Like 2

I've lost 3 confirmed gigs because of lockdown, and anything else that might have got in the book. I'd love to be back doing rehearsals this year and gigging next year, but the longer social distancing has to continue, the further away both those targets seem. 

Will this thing just dissipate, or will we be totally dependent on a vaccine / drugs before life gets back to the way it was - who knows?

• Like 1

We had our first rehearsal last week since all this kicked off, but I'm not planning on doing any gigs at all this year. There's a band playing at a local bar in town next Saturday and a few of my mates are going but I'm giving it a miss. Even though were pretty much Covid free here I don't fancy being indoors with dozens of other people. 

• Like 2

We have a gig booked in August but I can't see that happening. We had a gig booked for last night at a brewery and another one tonight at a banquet, both cancelled of course. In "normal" times I would be loading my gear and getting dressed to go to tonight's gig at this very hour....frustrating. 

Edited by Staggering on
  • Sad 1

I am hoping to organise a street party for the end of August , all the neighbours are up for it and I am hoping it will be an open mic kind of affair , where all the musos will get up and do something as well as the kids doing a piece. 

Ive yet to send a few ‘pub cover standards fayre’  offerings out , but I reckon there will be a few singists who can make that call as I reckon they will be the hardest to get up 

it will be a proper blast if it works out 

We have one festival at the beginning of October that hasn’t been cancelled (yet) but everything else has been either cancelled or moved to next year.

I have a friend in the Czech Republic, though, who’s band are playing their first post-lockdown shows at the end of June.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, julietgreen said:

We have a gig booked for August which hasn't been cancelled yet. I suspect I won't be going. I shall set myself a criterion based on the maximum number of newly infected nationwide before go back into public arenas.

What about you?

I had already been semi-retired from gigging for a couple of years before this mess started. I have a pretty strong inclination to just make it permanent and move on to other things. It'd take more than low rent bar gigs to entice me at this point in any case. Yel_wink.gif

• Like 1

I’ve got a couple of gigs left in the diary for this year, one in September and another in October. They are both in good venues that get decent crowds and I’m reasonably confident that they should both go ahead.

Things will get back to something to normal, pubs will re-open and social distancing won’t last for ever. As you can see on the news, other European countries are starting to allow bars to re-open and they are starting to make steps to get back to normal (even though I can’t see any major events happening this year). My worry is that there is going to be political pressure on the UK to follow suit as soon as possible, when in reality we should be at least a few weeks behind. There is always a risk of a second wave of infection over here, so hopefully people will be sensible over the next few weeks. If that happens then hopefully things will be something like normal by the autumn.

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, ambient said:

None of the promoters or event curators I know are planning anything for this year. They’re planning now for 2021, but that obviously depends how things turn out.

My post above is about pubs and smaller clubs. I really can't see anyone promoting an event this year that will draw a large crowd or requires artists / audience to travel long distances or across borders. 

• Like 1

I've got about 30 gigs booked for 2020 left from now until New years eve. I'm not expecting to play any of them. I'll be looking to contact the venues around August/September and try and book for 2021, that's if half of them ever re-open. It's a catastrophe out there..

• Like 1