Why become a member? ×

GHS Precision Flats - views please

Grahambythesea

I’ve had La Bella Low Tension Flats on my Spector Fretless for several years, it’s not played that often, but I am thinking the tone has gone off a bit. Whilst looking for some strings for another bass i noticed Bax we’re offering the 5 string set of Precision Flats for a bargain £30. I’ve never used any GHS products so have little to go on. Any one use/used them or have opinions. 
I realise that there is a big difference in the string tensions, 219lbs instead of 163 lbs.

The only other flats I’ve used were Chromes (267lbs) which I didn’t like. 

Worth a try or to be avoided?

I'm a great believer in matching strings to the neck, nut width and some extent bridge spacing. For example I love the GHS Precision Flats on a P bass, old style wide neck, not on a skinny P or Jazz neck.

Great strings - in the right application IMHO - tone, feel, tension and long life.

I had GHS flats on my PJ5 until I replaced them with TI flats. I thought they were good. I'd use them again.

I'm surprised the La Bellas have "gone off"! Not sure what that means, or how it could happen, especially if they weren't played much. I thought they were good for decades.

@Grahambythesea just doublecheck the lengths work for you. Bax deal looks like it's on Long Scale Plus. 

Always the way with these threads everyone chimes in with thier faves, but I'm a convert to Dunlop flats from LaBella for years, they're worth a look if you're trialling different brands. 

Have found noone else quite equals LaBella for that woody thump, just depends what sound you're after. 

4 minutes ago, Drax said:

@Grahambythesea just doublecheck the lengths work for you. Bax deal looks like it's on Long Scale Plus. 

Always the way with these threads everyone chimes in with thier faves, but I'm a convert to Dunlop flats from LaBella for years, they're worth a look if you're trialling different brands. 

Have found noone else quite equals LaBella for that woody thump, just depends what sound you're after. 

It’s a 35” scale Spector so the long + should be the right length, I think🤔

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Grahambythesea said:

It’s a 35” scale Spector so the long + should be the right length, I think🤔

Cool. Yeah GHS quote Long Scale Plus at 38" winding length, vs 36.5" for the standard long scale. Unsure how this works on the Spector layout .. 

1 hour ago, chris_b said:

I had GHS flats on my PJ5 until I replaced them with TI flats. I thought they were good. I'd use them again.

I'm surprised the La Bellas have "gone off"! Not sure what that means, or how it could happen, especially if they weren't played much. I thought they were good for decades.

Hmm! Decades? May be I’m just getting lockdown boredom. I think they had more “ring” to them originally, but now they sound more thumpy, which I know is what most people want from flats. 
Maybe I need to play it more and and tinker with tone controls more (and save money).

Just now, Grahambythesea said:

Hmm! Decades? May be I’m just getting lockdown boredom. I think they had more “ring” to them originally, but now they sound more thumpy, which I know is what most people want from flats.

Sounds like they're nicely run in.

I saw an interview with Bob Glaub, LA session ace, and he has a Precision with 42 year old La Bellas on! I don't think he was joking! 

I've got the precision flats on my short scale and really love them, the tension seems about right to me, I have chromes on my 5 string and ernie ball flats on my 77 p-bass but I think the ghs are my favourite