Why become a member? ×

Replacement jack socket for Stingray USA Sub

vmaxblues

i can't be 100% certain but it looks like a switchcraft Hi-D type, have a look at the technical spec doc Here and compare the dimensions and spacing, have a close lok at the original and see if there are any marking to give a model number.

Matt

There are multiple options for both of those makes, the amphenol one has a 4 pole option, it's just a matter of working out what the part code is and then searching for the actual part. 

it could be an Amphenol ACJS-MV-3S which is 4 pole

or there are 4 different Switchcraft options with 3 different sized pins so it might be one of those ( the 113 options) it would depend what the internal switching is on the original. i have attached the relevant bit from the spec doc, you just need to put the right numbers and letters in to get the code number.

Matt

Screenshot from 2020-05-31 12-00-28.png

Edited by Matt P
  • Like 1

this has got me obsessed now! this kind of work is what i normally do 8-4 Monday to Friday (I'm a design engineer) being on furlough is messing with my head a bit

This appears to be the part but it is out of stock (and seems expensive!) are tere any makers marks or any kind of code on the socket? there is an outside chance that Musicman use a special one-off configuration fot this part but the more likely answer is that it's an off the shelf component they just re-brand and sell at a profit.

Matt

• Like 1

2 hours ago, pineweasel said:

Aren’t they basically budget Stingrays? In which case you could contact the EBMM distributor Strings and Things. I’ve bought spares for my Stingray from them before. 

+1

The original USA SUB uses the same 2EQ electronics as the full fat 2EQ Stingray of the period, so whatever the Stingray used would be suitable.

9 hours ago, pineweasel said:

Aren’t they basically budget Stingrays? In which case you could contact the EBMM distributor Strings and Things. I’ve bought spares for my Stingray from them before. 

^ this. I wouldn't mess about trying to source a 'nearly' there replacement. Just call Strings and Things and they will get the OEM part from EBMM in the USA. When I needed a part for my 'ray they bent over backwards to help me, really first class service.

If it was me, I would replace the plastic socket with a standard stereo Switchcraft, wired to the PCB. Job done and it would probably almost certainly outlast another MM plastic job.

• Like 2

I found some references to this over on talkbass, it seems to give a strange noise on first plugging in, I'm not sure what sorcery musicman are using with this strange socket. 

53 minutes ago, KiOgon said:

If it was me, I would replace the plastic socket with a standard stereo Switchcraft, wired to the PCB. Job done and it would probably almost certainly outlast another MM plastic job.