Why become a member? ×

Acoustic bass

Johnnyguru

2 hours ago, ubit said:

Yeah but I bet he couldn't hear you.

Well the other guys could actually, but it’s irrelevant anyway, because I could hear me. They don’t really need to hear me. It’s a run through, not a gig. 

Your comment has made me wonder how loud some people are playing acoustically. My acoustic bass doesn’t project well enough to be giggable without amplification, but it’s certainly capable of holding its own in an acoustic rehearsal (cajon and 2 acoustic guitars/mandolin).; the other guys in the band can hear it ok. 

Edited by 4000
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, 4000 said:

Well the other guys could actually, but it’s irrelevant anyway, because I could hear me. They don’t really need to hear me. It’s a run through, not a gig. 

Your comment has made me wonder how loud some people are playing acoustically. My acoustic bass doesn’t project well enough to be giggable without amplification, but it’s certainly capable of holding its own in an acoustic rehearsal (cajon and 2 acoustic guitars/mandolin).; the other guys in the band can hear it ok. 

There does seem to be a misconception that all acoustic bass guitars are too quiet. It simply isn't the case.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, louisthebass said:

I've got a Crafter 5 string acoustic bass which needs to be amplified when in the company of other acoustics guitars. The only acoustic bass guitars I'm aware of that might be able to hold their own in a truly acoustic situation are the ones made by Earthwood and Emerald Guitars in Ireland?

That does indeed sound lovely and Im quite sure it would cut through in an acoustic situation but look at the size of the body. This is what I mean about double basses being big to project the sound.

• Like 2

Really interesting to learn everyone's experiences with these instruments, with the different views expressed it does tend to point to a 'try some out and find what works for you' viewpoint. There's certainly more love out there for acoustic basses than I would have expected. Worth pointing out to the OP @Johnnyguru that it's wise to have a look what's on sale secondhand acoustic bass wise, as the resale value of acoustic basses is generally great news for buyers and heartbreaking news for sellers. There's always used acoustic basses on sale at good prices that look barely played, on here, eBay or Gumtree.

• Like 2

It really depends what you want it for. IME most acoustic basses struggle to keep up volume wise without amplification unless your fellow musicians all have a very light touch, so most of the time for gigs your acoustic bass is simply there for the looks. If I was playing in an acoustic band I'd have something fretless with Lightwave pickups and strung with TI Flats.

For practice, for me I don't see the point. If I'm practicing I want to playing the instrument I'm going to playing when I do it for real. In the same way I don't practice sitting down because I don't play live sitting down.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ubit said:

That does indeed sound lovely and Im quite sure it would cut through in an acoustic situation but look at the size of the body. This is what I mean about double basses being big to project the sound.

I doubt it comes cheap either - the Balor Bass in the video is made out of Carbon Fibre and is ergonomically designed for comfort...

5 minutes ago, Johnnyguru said:

Better start saving😬

If you manage to save just over 1k I recommend the Godin A4. Of all the acoustic basses I've played it's by far the best, not so much unplugged although I managed in my duo alongside one acoustic guitar and a belter of a singer, but amplified this bass totally comes alive, so many tonal variations, it's a killer. Having said that it was too long for me (I play short scale almost exclusively now) and it is a tad heavy but unsurpassed imho.

i have played a couple including the Aria mentioned previosly and a 5 string Ibanez, for me they just were too bulky and a bit too quiet for playing along with unamplified acoustic guitars, i also dallied with a Yamaha BEX4 for a while but the ergonomics didn't really suit me.

I ended up going a different route and bought a kala U-Bass and just use a small amp, depending on the situation i either used a marshall practice amp or an acoustic amp.  I found that the U-bass was so small and light that i can wear it on my back so carrying a small amp wasn't an issue. the Kala is loud enough for home practice but the very short scale and very rubbery strings aren't to everyones taste (i have fitted Aquila thunder red strings which helped though)

Matt

1 hour ago, louisthebass said:

I doubt it comes cheap either - the Balor Bass in the video is made out of Carbon Fibre and is ergonomically designed for comfort...

Yup. All up around the £3,500, £4000 mark!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Matt P said:

i have played a couple including the Aria mentioned previosly and a 5 string Ibanez, for me they just were too bulky and a bit too quiet for playing along with unamplified acoustic guitars, i also dallied with a Yamaha BEX4 for a while but the ergonomics didn't really suit me.

I ended up going a different route and bought a kala U-Bass and just use a small amp, depending on the situation i either used a marshall practice amp or an acoustic amp.  I found that the U-bass was so small and light that i can wear it on my back so carrying a small amp wasn't an issue. the Kala is loud enough for home practice but the very short scale and very rubbery strings aren't to everyones taste (i have fitted Aquila thunder red strings which helped though)

Matt

Tried the U bass, really didn’t get on with it. That said I do quite a bit of high register melodic stuff which really doesn’t work on it. 

4 minutes ago, 4000 said:

Tried the U bass, really didn’t get on with it. That said I do quite a bit of high register melodic stuff which really doesn’t work on it. 

yeah they're not really much use above 7th fret (and not really that great there either) but i find that when playing with acoustics i rarely need to go that high. Also i don't really do the more melodic stuff so it's fine for simply holding down the low end. and it always gets a great reaction because most of the audience will never have seen one.

Matt

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Johnnyguru said:

Seen a good deal on this Aria FEB-FL/F STBK

Still struggling to make my mind up🥴 the aria (do fancy a fretless) Fender kingman, Ibanez agb200 or pos. Jack casady. ???? 

Sent you a PM!

• 1 month later...

I’ve owned a couple and I agree, they’re pretty useless as acoustic instruments however I picked up an Aria FEB (second Gen the other day , it’s fretless so I’m hoping that with a decent set of flats (ordered) it will approach an upright in terms of tone. It was sub £300 so definitely worth a punt. . Here’s a few photos 

A11C2963-D117-4B12-8A6E-B3280E984951.jpeg

2D90B25F-DED2-4CFF-8196-1651A02650EA.jpeg

10DA5076-50DC-45CB-819A-EAE6B7310D65.jpeg

B4F5CD90-B023-4E82-8B6F-F29379D3A764.jpeg

Edited by Quilly