Why become a member? ×

Mark Bass Big Bang vs GK MB500 opinions

Xiaoma

Hi all,

I'm looking for equipment for live gigs in small to medium sized venues (assuming no PA) and i found these two heads - second hand - at around the same price:

-Mark Bass Big Bang

-Gallien Krueger MB500

Hopefully I'll match the head with a 2x12 cab.

I cannot find much info about the Big Bang, actually I found a couple people complaining about a certain weakness in the very low frequencies (I play a 5er so this scares me).

The GK should be punchier on the bass and high frequencies and I couldn't find anybody complaining about it.

In the past MB was looked at as a very transparent or flat sounding head and I liked this idea. But I'm wondering if I shouldn't just go with the GK and be guaranteed a great low B, then equalize myself to the desired tone.

Also it doesn't look like the Big Bang has got many fans, I have a strange feeling about it.

Opinions?

58 minutes ago, naxos10 said:

There's an Ampeg PF500 in the classifieds that may suit your criteria.

Hey thanks but I'm looking for a more "modern" sound. Ampeg is great but IME quite vintage sounding (I don't know if it makes sense but that's my feeling). Also I'm trying to purchase locally so I get to try if everything is in order before paying any money.

Edited by Xiaoma

From the mentions of user experience stating weak low end on the Big Bang coupled with your usage of a 5-string Xiaoma, it might not be the right amp for you. I’ve used Markbass a lot and never found the low end to be weak, but I only play 4s and have never used that specific amp.

I had an s450 in the past when my main bass whas a TRB6P, which performed well on the low end. But I'm pretty sure that wasn't class d so probably the comparison doesn't make sense.

And user experience is kinda subjective so basing my choice solely on that one opinion doesn't sound like reasonable.

But again this Big Bang doesn't come up very often so I'm wondering if it was an unlucky production...

Edited by Xiaoma
Typo

Seems Big Bang is LM III with added features some have asked for such as Aux input, Mute, footswitch for EQ and Mute and Headphone out.

Not sure why it isn't more popular in their line. But getting a LM III with added features would be my choice in this competition.

In the end I tried and bought the big bang.

This guy had a MarkBass 12" 8 ohm cabinet and I had the chance to play with it for around 30 min.

The first thing I noticed is the ridiculous amount of volume, punch and also bass which I didn't expect from a single 12" cone. My worries about any weakness on the lower frequencies were gone quickly.

Initially I wasn't very interested into the VLE and VPF filters. The VLE gives you that instant motown sound while the VPF is great for slap. 

At home I'm enjoying the headphone out but I can't wait to pair it with a cab (looking for a second hand 2x12" - not so easy) and try it in a band setting.

• Like 1