Why become a member? ×

NBD - Dingwall NG3

Brightside

2 minutes ago, CameronJ said:

@BruceBass3901, prepare for your wallet to get a bit lighter xD

Thanks for the warning 😅 Just had a NBD, but Dingwalls have always intrigued me, and I only got to try one for about 10 minutes at the London Bass Guitar Show through a Darkglass amp which was a bit too 'ice-pickey' sounding a combination at the volume and tone required to compete with the room full of slap licks.

Yeah I’m not a big fan of that modern metal ultra distorted ice pick tone either. The Bass Gallery in Camden had a few NG2s in stock last time I was there - when things return to normal it may be worth a trip to have a play through a clean amp. If you’re up for travelling a bit further afield, head to Bass Direct. They always have a huge selection of Dingwalls in stock.

• 1 month later...

Sad to break it to you, but that neck is badly warped, and as if that wasn't enough the hack who installed the frets seems to have been cross eyed or perhaps intoxicated, possibly both, in any case they are anything but straight. 

I would return that bass immediately if I were you.

How did a train wreck catastrophe like that ever pass quality control. 

It's almost like whoever made it did a serious effort to make it turn out all crooked.  

But no matter who it was, together with whoever was responsible for inspecting it, needs to be fired as quickly as possible before they can do more damage. 

Edited by Baloney Balderdash
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, dannybuoy said:

Here's a great example of the mellower side of these basses:

I'm lusting after an NG2 or NG3 at the moment... I'd need to try one first though, fed up of buying basses blind and not getting on with them!

They’re way more comfy than the uber long scale would suggest, due to the body shape and bridge position. Really nice neck profile too (subjective, obviously) and always set up well out of the box.

Edited by CameronJ

1 hour ago, CameronJ said:

They’re way more comfy than the uber long scale would suggest, due to the body shape and bridge position. Really nice neck profile too (subjective, obviously) and always set up well out of the box.

I hear the profile is quite slim front to back... I've had a few 5ers I didn't get on with due to the nut width, with the fretboard digging into the base of my finger when fretting the lowest note.

Played a combustion 5 which had a very slim and very comfortable neck. I was used to 19mm spacing like on Lakland 5’ers which can feel huge but the Combustion was nice! I’d say it’s one of my preferred 5 string neck profiles albeit with limited experience.