Why become a member? ×

Mmmm Cort Yumminess

stewblack

2 hours ago, Newfoundfreedom said:

Ooh! 

I know they're not to everyone's taste, especially people who like "traditional" (i.e bland Fender) basses, but I think some of the Cort stuff looks well tastey. 

Don't know how they've passed me by. Unless maybe it's something to do with me hoovering up every last Harley Benton on the planet. Kind of found my brand 😅

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, stewblack said:

Don't know how they've passed me by. Unless maybe it's something to do with me hoovering up every last Harley Benton on the planet. Kind of found my brand 😅

Can't argue with good sense. They're ridiculously good for stupid money. The only other brand I've ever tried that comes anywhere near is Vintage. 

Never owned a Cort before, but since the start of this year I now have a couple of their Jazz basses - a GB99F and a GB75JH. Both are great lookers/players, are set up brilliantly well to my liking, and can hold their own against other more expensive instruments I own.  The sunburst GB99 now has a Roland GK3B pickup for synth/modelling duties and gets played a lordly amount. The five not so much but that’s got more to do with the number of strings and not the guitar itself. 

BA9727DC-9E87-4A4A-87B6-11FEEBD850F9.png

Edited by dub_junkie
  • Like 1

Hmmm... the Sound.  Fantastic. I've always been a great admirer of Cort styling, although not keen on this zebra effect with the top grain, prefer the grain blander.  Seems to be full string spacing too.  Optimum prime.  I had a GB75.  Beware if the pots go as mine did they're proprietary (sp?) and wirerd into a board, so replacing them is a real pain. Otherwise very serious bit of kit for the money.  

6 hours ago, BassBunny said:

They make instruments for G&L, Lakland, Fender, Squier, Yamaha etc., in fact if a guitar has Made In Indonesia stamped on it, it is likely to have come out if the Cort factory.

Had a GB74 for a while. Great bass.

Edited by lownote12

Owned the (Jeff Berlin) Rhythmic4 for a while. At the time the most expensive Cort at £800 or so.

Really well made, great hardware and a fantastic low profile neck. Personally found the Bart pickups so anaemic I sold it on - with hindsight should have modded. 

I never regret selling production basses you can always buy again, but do always keep an eye out for second hand. Assumed they didn’t sell well as people less willing to pay that much for a Cort branded instrument. Bass Direct had ‘signed’ version on sale for years! 

3 hours ago, Doctor J said:

that clickbait image for the video is enough to make me not want to click

I confess I click on on all their videos regardless as I enjoy the content. 

Out if interest what is it about this one in particular you didn't like? 

1 hour ago, franzbassist said:

That is an unusually click-baity image for Basstheworld.  

I liked the video. I like Basstheworld in general. Gregor has some humour and the two bassists (Lars and Rene) who normally test gear are amazing (However, Ida in this video was of course great too.)

The A4 Ultra Ash itself is on my watchlist. I am looking for a bass with Fishman fluence pickups and the Cort is a contender (I want to replace the neck pickup with the Fishman Fluence Mike Inez Legacy pickup and turn the bass in an AIC bass). The only issue I have, just from an aesthetic point of view, is the  headstock design. Not so impressed by it. Looks like a piece got chopped off (maybe after hitting a crash cymbal) 😉

Cort.jpg.23a074e4f46ac4f02b83b630647e09a9.jpg

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Doctor J said:

I’d really like to have some time with one of the Jeff Berlin models, as Cort make some really fine instruments when they want to, but that clickbait image for the video is enough to make me not want to click 😁

Concentrate on Ida. She's a cracking player.

I have a cort B5(?), it's by far my easiest playing bass,  the one I feel most at home with. Just right on the neck spec, string spacing and body design/weight. Sadly, I'm not getting on with the electronics, I swapped out the pickups and preamp to change the sound, but still not right for me.

If I were to have a bass custom made, it would be with the neck and string specs of this bass.

My gripe is the "Whaaaaaat?" caption, it reeks of the tantalising "You just won't believe what this bass did on holiday!" kind of crap which I am just oh so weary of. As I age, I appreciate the simple approach of Dragnet - Just the facts. I don't need any sensationalised tabloid type nonsense approach to pull me in. Tell me about the bass. Play it. Let me hear it. Then I'll clik, I promise. I don't care for the other guff and the guy is probably selling his video short by adopting this approach based on the other comments here, but I'm still not gonna click that picture 😂

Drax's post has made me even more interested in the Berlin model. Hmmm, need to find a cheap one somewhere.

12 hours ago, Drax said:

Owned the (Jeff Berlin) Rhythmic4 for a while. At the time the most expensive Cort at £800 or so.

Really well made, great hardware and a fantastic low profile neck. Personally found the Bart pickups so anaemic I sold it on - with hindsight should have modded. 

I never regret selling production basses you can always buy again, but do always keep an eye out for second hand. Assumed they didn’t sell well as people less willing to pay that much for a Cort branded instrument. Bass Direct had ‘signed’ version on sale for years! 

Anaemic pups - why ruin a potentially really good bass by foisting such flacidity on us? And they're not the only maker to do this: folk will no doubt be bored with my and others' gripe with Sandberg and Delanos, particularly when I understand the Black Label pups they use elsewhere really hit the mark. 

In the case of Cort, my guess is they daren't take their basses to the obvious next level otherwise they will be putting their tanks squarely on the lawn of the likes of Ibanez whom they have lucrative outsourcing contracts from.

Shame. 

Re daft writing on the still photo, I think scott devine wrote a few months ago about how youtube now rank your videos and promo and unfortunately failure to do it in the new click bait style can seriously dent how youtube promote your videos unfortunately. It's a shame as I hate clicking on stuff like that, puts me off if anything. Just like the Italian bassist (sorry I've forgotten his name) who does slap bass. His click bait looks awful, but his videos are actually very good and funny!

• Like 1

On 30/05/2020 at 19:51, Al Krow said:

Anaemic pups - why ruin a potentially really good bass by foisting such flacidity on us? And they're not the only maker to do this: folk will no doubt be bored with my and others' gripe with Sandberg and Delanos, particularly when I understand the Black Label pups they use elsewhere really hit the mark. 

In the case of Cort, my guess is they daren't take their basses to the obvious next level otherwise they will be putting their tanks squarely on the lawn of the likes of Ibanez whom they have lucrative outsourcing contracts from.

Shame. 

Not sure if serious. Try a Rithimic, it's a seriously quality piece of kit. They're absolutely not holding back for fear of treading on anyone's toes - they don't need to. They could do do better quality and lower prices to undercut the other companies they subcontract for and they'd still get the business from them, because they are cost-effective, fast, high quality and good QC for their price range.

As for "anaemic" pickups, again, try the bass, have a listen to "Joe Frazier Round 3". A Rithimic wouldn't be my first choice for a Pantera cover band but for a deep, rich and punchy fusion sound, well, Bartolini have been revered for years in jazz circles and rightly so.

• Like 2