Why become a member? ×

Hofner ignition bass versatile?

Daveox

Anyone using a ignition bass for other things than Beatles covers? For gigging or just jamming?

its a bass guitar so should be able to be used for other music styles?

is anyone using there’s for general covers gigging? Any limitations?
i enjoy the lightness of this bass and it’s so much fun with no back pain for me! 
Whats your experiences?

Not an Ignition, but my 'go-to' bass is a Hofner Verithin, with similar tonal qualities, and also lightweight. Depending on the strings used (mine are black nylon tapewound...), these basses can be very versatile, worthy of far more than simply Macca knock-off use. Reggae comes to mind as a first candidate, but I've played a wide variety of stuff, from the Floyd's 'The Wall', through Pumpkins 'Ava Adore' to 'Message In A Bottle' and much more; no-one criticised the bass sound. With 'zingier' strings, one could go further still, although I'd not say it's the best bass for slapping/popping. Versatile..? Yes indeed.
It shouldn't be forgotten that quite a few Beatles tracks were recorded with other basses, too, the Ricky being quite heavily used at certain times. All Beatles tracks are not 'Hofner' tracks. In modern days, the Hofner bass is used by many; the most evident being, maybe Nicolas Godin, from AIR ...

Edited by Dad3353
  • Like 1

Ignition is just the 'level' of some of Hofners range of basses. As you've referenced the Beatles I'm assuming you mean the Violin bass, or the 500/1 to give it its rightful name. 

I have a Club bass (500/2) in black as I wanted the Hofner hollow body  sound but didn't want that Beatles association. I have flats on it so it has that classic hollow thumpy sound but it's still pretty versatile, put some rounds back on and even more so. As with any bass, it's great for some stuff, no so great for other stuff, but you can play anything you want on it. 

I've got the precursor to this - the "Icon" model. Unless Hofner dropped the ball significantly when the model changed name, these are great basses - not just "good for the money", but good basses full stop. Light as a feather, easy to play and they sound great. Limitations? Well, the string spacing may seem a little narrow at first, but you soon get used to it. They do lend themselves to a thumpy "sixties" sound, so if your looking to go for the JJ Burnel sound or something to slap yourself silly on, this won't work. Played with a pick, with a lump of sponge at the bridge, they sound fantastic.