Why become a member? ×

Lockdown Mailorder from Indie Shops?

Hanry

Hello folks,

I have a need for bass strings, preferably GHS half-wounds, and I really don't want to buy them from the Bezos Empire.
Thomann is reported to be ok with stock items, but not exactly a local shoppe 😉
On the other hand I had bad experiences recently with (non-music related) items bought from shops that claim that it's all going well, and then not shipping for three weeks.

Can you recommend any independent UK music shops that stock a good range of strings and are proven to ship quickly right now?

Many thanks!
Hanry

I know, "indie" a bendable term - I'd love to support those shops that are seriously struggling right now because they don't get the footfall. Other than that, Andertons is fine, although they don't have the GHS. GAK have pdeal steel GHS but not for bass, that made my day 🙂

Does not have to be GHS, but the BC folks seem to agree that they are the best compromise between flats and rounds for a fretless, and I am re-assmbling my Fender J right now...

Anyway - thanks for your reply!
Hanry

stringsdirect.co.uk are considered to be very reliable. They're stocking GHS. I think I bought mine from there.

If it's not listed on the web-site, phone them. They can usually get hold of strings in a few days.

Edited by Balcro
  • Thanks 1

Sussex Soundhouse have got D'Addario ENR70 half rounds at a decent price, I bought a set a couple of weeks ago, came inside 5 days

https://sussexsoundhouse.co.uk/products/daddario-xl-half-rounds-bass-strings-enr70-long-40-95?variant=31743285755989&currency=GBP&gclid=EAIaIQobChMItNyUkpTZ6QIVhrTtCh2EqgaOEAYYAiABEgLEG_D_BwE

• Thanks 1

I've had a delivery of strings from Strings Direct during lockdown - dispatched very quickly, slight delay with the Post Office, but was with me within a week of placing the order.  If they have your stings listed I'd thoroughly recommend them - always great customer service

Also had a delivery (not strings) from Andertons, which was for a couple of items that I knew were not in stock when I ordered them, but came pretty quickly (and after Andertons had given me a "this all depends on our suppliers not being affected by lockdown" warnings - fair enough)

The only significant delay I've had (and am still having) is for an order with Gear4Music - again, an item that I knew wasn't in stock when I ordered it, and there seems to be a delay in getting it from the (quite small) manufacturer.

• Thanks 1

Not sure what you mean by indies, but I bought a bass from bax music and it took a couple of days longer than it originally said, but they did have a banner on their home page saying orders might take a couple of days longer, so I didn't feel unwarned!

• Thanks 1