Why become a member? ×

Hello from deepest, darkest South Wales

nateydoggsmith

Hey everyone,

I'm Nathan - I'm 28 and mainly a guitar player (if you can call it that). Played guitar as a teenager but stopped when finishing uni and starting work. My guitar playing consisted of noodling around with pentatonics, learning riffs, playing barre chords and power chords, and learning a few tabs. 

Due to lockdown and home working, I've started playing guitar again - using the Hal Leonard Guitar Method to take my learning back to basics and learning some notation/theory along the way. Really enjoying it so far. 

Here because I am tempted to also pick up the bass! Got my eye on a Harley Benton JB-75, seen it has been reviewed well, looks nice too - the only drawback being the weight which isn't too much of an issue for me -  my first guitar was also a bit of a brick in itself. 😂

Here really to discuss whether I would be biting off more than I can chew if I started the bass too? I would probably use the Hal Leonard Bass Method to start (alongside things like youtube etc) but will likely look to get some teaching once it's possible to do so! I would approach the bass as a separate instrument and will try and resist the urge to treat it as a bigger, longer, lower-sounding guitar. 

A good friend of mine is a well-trained drummer too so I think it would be good to learn bass to open up more jamming opportunities once the whole situation has calmed down.

Thanks everyone

4 hours ago, SpondonBassed said:

Welcome Nathan.

You'll never know until you try.  I think you'll be surprised.

You think I should just go ahead and give it a go? I am strongly considering it, I must say. I think that while it may take a while to get to snuff on the instruments individually, I would hopefully turn out to be a better musician overall for learning two instruments.

• 2 weeks later...
On 07/06/2020 at 19:48, JonnyBGood said:

Hi and welcome, which deep, dark part? I grew up in Bridgend.

Jon

Hey! Thanks. Funnily enough my bass arrived today! It is beautiful. My poor hands ache a little already. And here's me thinking that I had callouses from my guitar...

Ah nice. I live in the Rhondda.