Why become a member? ×

SOLD! Please close Kenneth Lawrence ChamberBrase II 5-string
£5420
Germany

3Gorillas

SOLD!

Kenneth Lawrence ChamberBrase II 5-string

Update: Weight and some new pics

Ken Lawrence is without doubts one of the best luthiers ever. Even Vinnie Fodera came to this conclusion (and well, he might know a bit about basses as well… ;-)). I have been playing Ken's basses for long time and can 110% confirm this reputation. Besides being an extraordinary player himself Ken is the nicest guy who really cares about his customers.

This bass is extremely rare and kind of a full-house-configuration, see spec sheet below. It hardly gets any more exclusive:
Abalone inlays and logo, ebony bindings on fretboard, LED-Dots ……
The craftmanship is out of this universe. The construction with its semi-hollow body gives the instrument an unbelievable dynamic and response. The sound does have an acoustic touch with some "airy vibe", but ultimately this is a powerful electric bass that delivers an amazing low-end.  In fact I have and had also several Foderas from 33" to 36" scale and this bass has by far the best b-string I have ever player.

The bass has been used and played a lot, but always extremely well cared. I used it on several tours throughout Europe and did not have to touch the trussrod a single time. Even on real big stages the sound is well-defined and precise, never boomy.

Very low action with B-G at the moment. Also used E-C for some time, so that is possible of course
The ramp can be removed without any marks
Condition is excellent, I would give a 8.5 - 9 / 10. After very close inspection I found 3 marks: 
A little mark at the wooden electricity cover, a mark at the upper flush mount straplock and one next to the input jack. The last two marks are very superficial and just affecting the lacquer (Ken uses an ultra-light finish). It is not in the wood, no dings or dongs.

The instrument would cost > 10.000 USD new plus shipping, tax, customs etc. and at least 2 years waiting time (guess it might be even longer, Ken just takes orders in January). So much more than 10.000 Euro with all the overhead.

SOLD

The bass is located near Bonn / Germany. Shipping at buyers expense and risk is no problem.

Specs:
Kenneth Lawrence Instruments ChamberBrase II
Scale Length: 33"
Nut: 1 3/4” nut
String Spacing: 19 mm, Adjustable To 18-20mm
Body Wood: Claro Walnut
Top Wood: Figured / Blackened Redwood Top and Headstock Cap
Neck: Eastern Maple 3 Piece with Dual Function Stainless Steel Truss Rod
Fretboard: presumably Cocobolo with Gaboon Ebony Binding
Inlays: Paua Abalone Blocks with Matching Paua Abalone Headstock Logo w/ Ebony Surround
Additional: Gaboon Ebony Control Cavity Cover
Electronics: Blue fibre optic side dots with on/off switch Nordstrand hum-cancelling "J" pickups w/ Gaboon Ebony covers Customized Glockenklang 3 band preamp, Tara Labs wiring

Update:
Weight: According to my old bathroom scale the bass weights 4.1 kg. In comparison to my other basses where I know the precise weight this makes completely sense…
Toggle switches: There are two toggle switches, one switch is the on / off for the blue LEDs in the fretboard, the other one is some sort of boost. It adds a big load of db to the signal and gives the bass a fat bottom (as far as I see it can be trimmed, its the blue circuit, please the new picture of the cockpit).
Haven't used both switches at all, as I usually have enough light on stage and play the bass 90% passive. I used the EQ as a second setting with a slightly shaped solo sound. However, I asked Ken about the exact specs of the circuit and will be able to give a more profound answer very soon hopefully.

image.gif

Edited by 3Gorillas
  • Like 9

27 minutes ago, Daz39 said:

How much does it weigh - and what do the two toggle switches do?

That is utterly gorgeous - I love the carving on the back. Unreal detailing on the neck too.

Cheers, thank you!

One toggle switch is for the blue LEDs (on / off). The other one is a booster. Haven’t used this feature, a custom spec that Ken used sometimes. I guess the booster can be trimmed (I will verify that). Played the bass most of the time in passive mode though.

Weight is coming asap

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, 3Gorillas said:

Thanks for the kind words! And yes, I totally agree 😉 just consider selling as I have 2 other Chamberbraces (a 6-string and another 5 that Ken custombuilt for me).

Would you consider selling the 6? Or at least grace us with a picture!! 😋

I played this gem a couple of days and have to confirm:

- The B-String is killing, i only do know these kind of B-String quality with 35 Scale MTDs, here you will have a super comfy 33'

- Very resonant all over the fingerboard. I never had an instrument in my hands with no dead spot issues at all and i am super critically with this. Impressive!

GLWTS

2 hours ago, Robert Schulenburg said:

I played this gem a couple of days and have to confirm:

- The B-String is killing, i only do know these kind of B-String quality with 35 Scale MTDs, here you will have a super comfy 33'

- Very resonant all over the fingerboard. I never had an instrument in my hands with no dead spot issues at all and i am super critically with this. Impressive!

GLWTS

Cheers, thanks a lot Robert! Hope to talk and hang again soon

2 minutes ago, Hellzero said:

Then have a free bump on me for this beautiful Ken Lawrence. I miss mine, but I've decided to come back to fretless and this time ... forever.

Haha, I see! Cheers, thanks for the bump! And be careful with the word "forever" 😂.. 
For example I have bought and sold an Aguilar DB751 3 times and even consider to buy it a 4th time… 🙈

• Haha 1

On 29/05/2020 at 12:00, binky_bass said:

Would you consider selling the 6? Or at least grace us with a picture!! 😋

Well, ehm, öhhh, – NO! 😉

I guess keepers until I have to stop playing bass… Sorry!

DSC_0997_01.thumb.jpeg.47c91386a7702f84b25f76564eb3721d.jpeg

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, binky_bass said:

Tell me where you live, I'll come cut your fingers off so you have to stop playing, then you can sell the 6 string to me! 

Wow, that sounds rough. Maybe coffee instead? 😅

Realistically, that KL6 of yours is probably the ONLY bass in this good world that I would even consider trading/selling my Conklin USA 8 for. For me, that says it all! 

Definitely no sale/trade then? :)

Perhaps a pair of De Gier Elevation 6 basses? 2 for 1! 

20180611_181747.thumb.jpg.17c4862767195214e44155ee3be96e02.jpg

Edited by binky_bass
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, binky_bass said:

Realistically, that KL6 of yours is probably the ONLY bass in this good world that I would even consider trading/selling my Conklin USA 8 for. For me, that says it all! 

Definitely no sale/trade then? :)

Perhaps a pair of De Gier Elevation 6 basses? 2 for 1! 

Sander De Gier builds really great basses! But I am very sorry, just selling my Ken Lawrence 5 as I have something else with Ken in planning. And I am very much a 6-string guy.
Have you seen this one?
https://www.luthiersaccessgroup.com/product/kenneth-lawrence-chamberbrase-ii-6-string-bass/

55 minutes ago, binky_bass said:

Tell me where you live, I'll come cut your fingers off so you have to stop playing, then you can sell the 6 string to me! 

Fine Russ, I'll take the fretless then. I'm closer to Bonn than you, I'll take my chainsaw to do the job : faster and absolutely unclean ! :biggrin: