Why become a member? ×

Tuning peg no longer works

kristo

Hello all. Whilst tuning my E string last night the peg was feeling a bit tight. I (foolishly) persisted with trying to tune up and heard a little snap sound. The plastic key of the tuning peg had cracked, and now the tuning peg when turned no longer affects the string. I'm worried I've broken it and now need to replace the tuners. Can anyone confirm if this is the case, or if there's something I can do to check? Cheers.

4CA38606-2FD1-4313-A707-87BE52D4B2C3.jpeg

CA09544C-9F01-4D31-835C-866D0B88C523.jpeg

Edited by kristo

Does the plastic piece have a screw on top of it that would allow it to be removed? There might be the possibility of removing it and using some thin superglue to fix (whilst clamping the plastic to close the crack). You may find though that once the plastic has cracked it make be weakened so this just happens again - will depend on the plastic and how it responds to the glue. It would also be worth removing the cover on the back of the tuner to see if anything is wrong in there that caused it to go tight in the first place.

The metal shaft will probably have a flat face which normally keys it to the plastic part but as that has split it just turns. If you take the plastic bit off, take a photo of the metal shaft and if you can take a measurement of the diameter of the metal shaft.

What bass is it out on interest?

Cheers

I took the plastic part off, and then took the one off the A tuner to see if that worked on the E. It didn’t, so I presume it’s something wrong with the tuner itself. At this point I panicked and messaged my tech, who’s luckily taking in work from next week. 

It’s an Epiphone Masterbilt Century DeLuxe, which is my gigging bass, so lucky it’s happened now.