Why become a member? ×

Quetion about ArtisWorks ​courses by John Patitucci and  Nathan East

JVagiar

Hello

I have a question about the ArtisWorks Bass Guitar courses by John Patitucci and  Nathan East.

When it comes to playing the bass guitar I play more Blues, Rock, and Pop but only a bit of Jazz. So, apparently, the course of Nathan East, "Electric Multi-Style Bass", seems to be the better choice for me. 

The thing is that from the few lesson samples that I have received from ArtistWorks, I prefer the teaching style of John Patitucci and he would be my first choice as a teacher. From the details of the John Patitucci course, it seems that in spite that having Jazz in its title, a huge part of it is about teaching general Bass guitar, and so, it could also be a good choice for me too, even if my focus is not Jazz.

Please, could if you have any experience with these courses and educators, give me your opinion?

Thank you very much

I don't have any knowledge or experience of the courses you mention. And I don't have any experience of the people as 'educators'. I do have a lot of experience of these people as musicians and they're both monsters (and coincidentaly Yamaha endorsers). NE is probably one of the most successful bassists of all time, behind Paul McCartney and Sting obvs but in terms of a session guy. John Patitucci is an astonishingly accomplished jazz player who laid waste to my sensibilities at many an Elektric Band gig. So my suggestion would be go for NE if you want more general pop, Motown style direction or JP for Jazz. Remember though, Jazz tends to be a super-set of music which informs many other styles.

My recommendation: go JP based on the fact he's huge, he's Jazz and you like his teaching style.