Why become a member? ×

Speaker ID

paul_5

Hi all. I recently bought a 2x10” cabinet with replacement drivers. These are supposed to be EBS drivers, but I don’t know much about them. Any other BC’ers able to positively (or otherwise) identify them?

AFB9C918-15D7-419D-85F7-64C28D892B8C.thumb.jpeg.b93082d2d39cd23f1f7d300b1bdf60c7.jpeg

D0E28599-E0A5-4DC1-9927-1C86716DF594.thumb.jpeg.af74caab3027325c2c9066e1f7f4ec90.jpeg

B1357BF0-19E6-447D-B581-5D4FE9C9E589.thumb.jpeg.b2c30a19d7efb81b52104b691a1f82d8.jpeg

15 minutes ago, Bill Fitzmaurice said:

Those are Eminence Deltalite 2510, first generation. They were superseded by the Deltalite II 2510 some 15 years ago. The first gens had heat problems, which was fixed on the second generation with a better magnet heatsink.

It's a breath of fresh air to have real engineering knowledge and experience.

Frank.

33 minutes ago, Bill Fitzmaurice said:

Those are Eminence Deltalite 2510, first generation. They were superseded by the Deltalite II 2510 some 15 years ago. The first gens had heat problems, which was fixed on the second generation with a better magnet heatsink.

Thanks so much Bill.

The back view (showing the numbers on the cone) also shows fatal damage due to mechanical overpowering. This driver will be so far from spec that it won't perform well in the cabinet it was designed for.

If you look closely st the front, you will see damage at the transition between the inside surround edge and the cone. Reconing or replacement are the only two options.

• Like 1

It does appear that there may be creasing of the cones, but I can't be sure from the picture. That in and of itself wouldn't necessarily render the drivers unusable. However, if the cones are creased it would usually indicate that the voice coils have bottomed out, which would eventually, if not immediately, result in driver failure.

I have to say that I didn’t really notice anything wrong with them when I fired them up at bedroom volume. I bought the cab because the dimensions were about right for a 12” driver I have, so the plan is to make a new front baffle and put that in with the 12”. I rarely gig with an amp now, so it’s not really too critical what it sounds like as a finished product.

Creasing of the cone will soften the suspension and change the moving mass because that crease will become the new hinge point. I have never tested a driver with mechanical damage like that and found the TS parameters to be anywhere near what they were originally. 

In fact, the change in TS parameters is one of the gold standards in assessing mechanical damage to a driver. It's used all the time when developing maximum power handling speaker ratings.

• Like 1