Why become a member? ×

Anyone tried this for scratchy pots?

It's hard to believe a can of contact cleaner can actually cost more than a new KiOgon wiring loom 😍 😎

For all other jobs - Servisol for many years, a can, ( borrowed from Vox when I worked there),  lasted me about 20 years!

The cheap pots used in many guitars these days simply ain't worth trying to save IMHO. They weren't any good when they were new - so what's the chances of 'making them better with a squirt of something'? 🤣

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Deoxit is expensive but it can't be beat.  I have two full fans if servisol on the shelf and everytime I reach for the deoxit.

I've restored a hundred or so vintage hifi amplifiers and receivers over the past 15 years and can say with some certainty that dexoit is in another league to servisol.

I don't have any more contact cleaner in the house at the moment but I tried fast wiggling of the pots on the Aerodyne. I had to do it for ages for each pot but blow me, it has worked! The bass has for the first time in years, smooth clean sounding pots. Thanks guys!

On 29/05/2020 at 09:53, BigRedX said:

IMO it is generally more effective to replace the pot which a new one from a reputable brand.

This. It removes not only the annoying scratchy sound, but also the nagging doubt at the back of your mind that it’ll crap out again on a gig.

2 minutes ago, paul_5 said:

This. It removes not only the annoying scratchy sound, but also the nagging doubt at the back of your mind that it’ll crap out again on a gig.

When that is an option. It took me a long time to get a pot that would work for my SR1000, as it has a dual track mixed value pot. When I did it was very expensive and now after a couple of years, it is scratchy again :(

• Like 1