Why become a member? ×

Anyone tried this for scratchy pots?

32 minutes ago, ubit said:

I have an Aerodyne with the most annoying scratchy pots and I have tried contact cleaner to no avail. I'm at my wits end!

Try pulling gently on the pot as you rotate it.  If this improves it, it could be a mechanical rather than electrical problem, I. E. The pot wiper contacts aren't acting on the track with sufficient pressure. 

• Thanks 1

So, the original link is for the WD40 contact cleaner. On the Amazon page where people have asked questions about this, there is the following:

Answer:
It might help, but only if it is an open potentiometer you are trying to clean. Volume knobs usually are not open.
However, a tip I learned many years ago - turn the volume knob from one way fully to the other way at least 10 times rapidly. This cleans the slider and can improve the crackling noise you speak of.

By Dave S on 17 October 2017
As far as I know this is what it is made for. I used it on some guitar potentiometers and it sorted them out.
By Allypally on 16 October 2017
It should be fine but may not fix your issue, that will depend on whither it is mechanical damage.
By Amazon Customer on 17 October 2017

My question is - if you have a noisy pot, is that a mechanical problem or an electrical problem ?  And, if the pot is of closed design, then how do you use a cleaner? Do you try to squirt some fluid inside through any convenient small hole in the pot case?

2 hours ago, musicbassman said:

My question is - if you have a noisy pot, is that a mechanical problem or an electrical problem ?  And, if the pot is of closed design, then how do you use a cleaner? Do you try to squirt some fluid inside through any convenient small hole in the pot case?

As I understand it, most crackling is dust/muck/contamination on the track, the noise is what happens when the contact passes over the dirty part, interrupting the signal, so it's a bit of both.

Cleaner removes the contamination, but persistent crackling that doesn't respond to being cleaned suggests damage to the track.

There should be enough gaps or openings in the back of the pot to get cleaner inside and onto the track.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

+1 ^^

Some cheaper pots (yes, some makers use 'cheap' pots...) wear out over time and become scratchy. Some equipment, (or even instruments :shok: ...) have a hard life, and pick up dust, or damp, which messes up the fragile carbon track inside the pot. Most (not all, but most...) pots have a small hole in the casing, just big enough to allow the cleaner's 'straw' to get some stuff squirted into it. A few turns of the pot, once squirted, should give it a second life. It may not last for years, though, or even work at all (depends on the real cause of the scratching...), in which case replacement with a quality pot will be required.
There are folks (I'm told...) that leave the pots on their basses 'full on', and never touch 'em, so never know if they're scratchy or not..! xD

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I have fixed a few scratchy pots with a mix of 80% isopropyl alcohol and 20% WD40. Mix it up in a plastic bottle with a pointy spout top. Cleans and lubes.

Worth a try when you're probably going to have to replace the pot anyway.   ;-)

Caig Deoxit is the best but pricey and was not always available - Amazon stock it now...

• Thanks 1

Electrolube EML contact cleaner/lubricant is usually easier to find in the UK than Deoxit (e.g. from CPC), so that's also worth a look. Most traditional-style pots have a wide slot in the casing above the solder terminals which you can easily get a straw into to spray a little bit of cleaner onto the track.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1