Why become a member? ×

Have I just fluffed it?! Truss rod content...

donslow

So I have been painting a neck of late, couple of “why is this happening?” Queries later, all back to normal and looking great...until...

I dropped the damn neck and it hit the floor headstock first! DAMMIT!!

first inspection...bit of a paint chip but nothing more, no problem

second inspection...the truss rod nut is about 10mm higher than it has ever been...oh dear...

bright idea, Allen key in nut, couple of gentle taps with a hammer, and truss rod nut is back in its hidey hole! Great!

Afterthought(s)

should I have done that?

Have I potentially damaged the truss rod by doing that?

should I have consulted the BC gods before doing that?

points to note...

truss rod worked perfectly fine before I took the bass apart

the drop was no more than about 2 feet and not an exceptionally heavy landing

any thoughts / comments / slapping on the  wrist very much welcome...

Didn’t think of taking any but can take some “after I tapped it back down” pictures if that’s of any use?!

im reasonably confident it’ll be alright As it SEEMS to be turning ok but without the body here I can’t really “test” it so to speak, there’s just a little niggle batting away in my head questioning

”should it have been as easy as that?!”

Hmmm.... shouldn't happen like that.

Could be the nut is completely slacked off and not threaded on the truss rod - that would allow it to slide out.

Press / tap it back in and then get an allen key and tighten (CW) until you feel it tighten. Take a look along the neck for straightness / relief.

It's probably perfectly fine, @donslow

If it is a modern two-way rod, it is probable that it will have been laid in the slot with an end stop at the heel end before the capping strip and/or fretboard has been fitted.

Usually, the rod will be tight enough in the slot to stay where it is but the rod is never glued in.  Some builders pop a couple of spots of flexible filler in a couple of places to stop the possibility of it rattling, but it won't rattle once it is tensioned so many don't.

So - it depends on the rod and the slot - in many cases an un-tensioned rod could theoretically move.  And yes - if it does, you can just move it back until the other end hits the end stop.

I have built a few necks, on specific request, where folks actually want the ability to pull the rod right out for replacement.  All you have to do is basically build it without a headstock plate and have a longer trussrod cover and then grab the adjuster with some needle-nose pliers and pull!  In fact, weren't the early Warwicks done like that?

Anyway - it will have done no harm and you were right to just tap it back :) 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Andyjr1515 said:

It's probably perfectly fine, @donslow

If it is a modern two-way rod, it is probable that it will have been laid in the slot with an end stop at the heel end before the capping strip and/or fretboard has been fitted.

Usually, the rod will be tight enough in the slot to stay where it is but the rod is never glued in.  Some builders pop a couple of spots of flexible filler in a couple of places to stop the possibility of it rattling, but it won't rattle once it is tensioned so many don't.

So - it depends on the rod and the slot - in many cases an un-tensioned rod could theoretically move.  And yes - if it does, you can just move it back until the other end hits the end stop.

I have built a few necks, on specific request, where folks actually want the ability to pull the rod right out for replacement.  All you have to do is basically build it without a headstock plate and have a longer trussrod cover and then grab the adjuster with some needle-nose pliers and pull!  In fact, weren't the early Warwicks done like that?

Anyway - it will have done no harm and you were right to just tap it back :) 

Much obliged for the input sir! Makes a lot of sense...

I suspected it’d be alright but just wanted to double check, as I say, a few gentle taps and it went down until it could no more, seems to be turning now without any excessive force or looseness

if it’s worth anything to help with your suggestion, it’s an Ibanez sr300 neck, if that makes any difference at all?!

3 hours ago, donslow said:

Much obliged for the input sir! Makes a lot of sense...

I suspected it’d be alright but just wanted to double check, as I say, a few gentle taps and it went down until it could no more, seems to be turning now without any excessive force or looseness

if it’s worth anything to help with your suggestion, it’s an Ibanez sr300 neck, if that makes any difference at all?!

I'm pretty sure that will be tickety-boo :)