Why become a member? ×

9V Battery Box (active circuits)

3 hours ago, ClassicVibes said:

Are there any 9V batteries that tend to be slightly bigger than normal and thus stretch the insides of battery boxes? I know this can lead to other, smaller 9V batteries not being able to reach the terminals and shorting out. 

Yes. The Energizer Industrial batteries are a classic example of being at the high end of the standard, but I've never observed that latter result personally.

Edited by Passinwind

On 28/05/2020 at 14:37, ClassicVibes said:

Huh, I always thought it was Duracell for some reason. 

A little Google-Fu shows stories of some (nominally correct size) Duracell batteries being problematic when used in oversized battery compartments meant for the Energizer Industrials.

I have both in my shop at the moment and it's a chore to get the Energizer to fit in my Fender drive pedal. Consumer grade Duracells pop right in, FWIW. But of course counterfeits are everywhere these days, and Duracell have an industrial variant as well, so who knows really?

Edited by Passinwind

Long lasting. I've happily been using Duracell Procell / Industrial 9V batteries for years. They're sold in boxes of 10, they're affordable (I can usually get them for around €10 a box) and I haven't experienced them being too large for the battery compartment of any of my active basses. Most of them use the Gotoh BB-02, or a battery clip inside the control cavity. 

• Like 1

Duracell started to pack their cells with a different technology, and was able to produce more energy to the same volume. Their batteries were very close to standard sizes, but some other companies have made bigger packages.