Why become a member? ×

Orange Fur Coat.

Stofferson

I like fuzzes, my life seems to revolve around finding the right one to suit me needs. Have I found it? Only gigs will tell.

Anyway after years of big muff lovin I decided to try something different.

The orange fur coat.

Controls are Volume, Gain, Octave level (also switchable), Tone.

I like the fact it doesn't just sound like another muff, it definitely has its own voice. Huge amount of gain on tap. Without the octave engaged it booms as deep as a Russian muff, but fizzles high. Even below 9 o clock it breaks up warm and almost tube like, also responds great to using the volume control on your bass.

Octave engaged and boom, cuts through like a knife, unfortunately at the expense of bottom end. 

Pro's

Highly versatile fuzz, tone, gain and volume are highly interactive and you can get more sounds than most.

Switchable octave and blend of octave is a great tool, the reason I got it. 

Move it around the location of your board, closer to the front of the chain it sounds warm and fuzzy, stick it towards the end or after a buffer it's voicing goes to a warm fizzing almost distortion.

Cons

You do lose low end with octave engaged, although I chucked it through an ls2 with the 2nd channel being a clean blend and it's definitely in my top 2 best sounding fuzzes.

Orange if you had a clean blend this would be number 1!

Will be using this until I find something better!

Deffo one to get if you like cutting through the mix with a huge fuzz, a dialled in octave high and save on separate fuzz and octave pedal.

I use a Warwick thumb, into an Ashdown abm600, bf410 cab.

I also use a sansamp at the end of the chain, it colours everything awesome, tbf even with the sansamp off, the fur coat nails it.

Edited by Stofferson
Spell
  • Thanks 1

Good write up. I was looking at these this week and liked what I heard. I love the Orange brand and was tempted but as a very occasional effects user went with a Big Muff bass pedal. I'm still curious on one of these further down the line though.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Cat Burrito said:

Good write up. I was looking at these this week and liked what I heard. I love the Orange brand and was tempted but as a very occasional effects user went with a Big Muff bass pedal. I'm still curious on one of these further down the line though.

Thanks dude, 

I had the bass muff for years, changed to a green Russian the up to the Russian deluxe, this is something different though, well worth looking into

• Thanks 1