Why become a member? ×

Learning to build a bass (and/or become a luthier)

Jellyfish

Hi all,

A quick intro: I've loved bass guitars ever since I picked one up around 10 years ago and have recently decided to start learning to setup and maintain them as I was always amazed at what a difference a professional setup can make. I eventually want to start putting my own basses together and building them completely as I find some of the topics in 'Build Diaries' utterly amazing. :) 

So, I wanted to ask people who were a bit more knowledgable: where is the best place to start when it comes to learning how to build a bass guitar? I've got a 'shopping list' of things I need to start buying (fret finishing tools, a straight edge etc.) and have also looked at courses offered by Crimson Guitars. I've even reached out to Jaydee (as they're 15 minutes down the road from me) to see if they'd be willing to let me come and help them out (for free) in exchange for learning about what it is that goes into a well-made bass guitar.

I'm fortunate enough to have some money to spend on the hobby but have virtually no woodworking experience so am torn between buying older basses to 'do up' or buying kits, or even buying better-quality parts to assemble and sell on.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Jellyfish said:

...where is the best place to start when it comes to learning how to build a bass guitar? ...

An admirable ambition; I wish you all the best with it. I've little practical experience myself, but Our Eldest is setting up his own modest luthery workshop, so we have some tips that might help. There's more to it than just tools; you'll need some space to work in, dedicated to this activity. A kitchen table might do, at a pinch, for a 'one-off' experiment, but a workshop becomes rapidly necessary. In that workshop, the most important tool is your workbench. Our Eldest 'cut his teeth' by making his own bench, in the most traditional manner, with his minimal tools (handsaw, chisels etc...). He took the time required to make a solid, usable bench to last his lifetime, and that alone has given him much of the impetus to take on the making of instruments.
First advice, then, would be to decide on a dedicated workspace, and have a look at the options of fitting it with the bench you'll be needing. They can be bought, new or second-hand, or made from scratch; this latter is an excellent 'jumping off' point for getting familiar with some of the woodwork skills involved. Here's a photo of the bench he made...

X182R1S.jpg

... and a couple of his first guitar ...

h2E0XMo.jpg

Li80zaJ.jpg

Hope this helps. B|

• Like 3

I have built two basses and a guitar. I just bought bits from eBay and never went as far as actually fabricating the neck and body. Just for a note, our very own KiOgon supplies electronics and pick ups and is a pleasure to deal with.

5 minutes ago, Mykesbass said:

I'd check out Jon Shuker's courses. He's a great builder, and I've heard great things about his course on here in the past. East Midlands as well, so not the other end of the country for you.

Brilliant advice. I’ve wanted to do one of these courses and am currently saving up for one for my 40th birthday!

• Like 1

I first had a go at building a bass about 9 years ago. Was only planning on building one bass and it came about from a block of wood I was given. 9 years later I'm still building them for fun!

I reckon a good start is to get some cheap wood and practice (I've used old doors and shelves in the past for practice). To start with I had the smallest, cheapest bandsaw (eBay £20) and a basic Black and Decker router (hadn't used one before). I had a cordless drill but that was about it. I came up with some designs on paper and start to think about 'how'. Do I need templates, which tools are needed for the jobs, which order do I do them in etc. I spent a fair bit of time on here too looking at what others had done!!

I'd recommend this book too as a really good reference:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Electric-Guitar-Bass-Design-complete/dp/3000296425/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=leonardo+guitar&qid=1590701426&sr=8-1

All the best

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Dad3353 said:

... and a couple of his first guitar ...

h2E0XMo.jpg

That’s an outrageous first build! Looks fantastic. I’ve considered doing one of Jon Shuker’s courses but I suspect my results will look rather more hamfisted :crazy:

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Dad3353 said:

Our Eldest 'cut his teeth' by making his own bench, in the most traditional manner, with his minimal tools (handsaw, chisels etc...). He took the time required to make a solid, usable bench to last his lifetime, and that alone has given him much of the impetus to take on the making of instruments.

X182R1S.jpg

I love this.  I had the good fortune to visit the Alembic workshop in California in 2012. They have the ethic of 'waste not want not' and 'why buy a tool if you can make it yourself'. Here's a pic of their main workshop - you'll see all sorts of tools and vices that have been knocked up from offcuts of neck sandwiches.  

workshop.jpg

Indeed, and it's not just an ethic, but driven also by necessity, sometimes..! Our Eldest needed a router, but only had a Dremel, so he made a router base for the Dremel from gash hardwood. He has since acquired a modest router, a bit bigger, but often makes the tools, jigs and such from offcuts. I do the same with my model 'planes; not much gets thrown away. Needful thrift, I'd call it. B|

• Like 1

Absolutely! I get through lots of offcuts for template making or jigs. I also made a simple fret bender at the weekend from a few bearings and an old piece of nylon that has been knocking around for 20 years!! Bit rough and ready but it works and spared me an expense.

XkpOBdN.jpg

You don't need tons of tools to start off - get a few essentials and learn to use them well. Look at places like Gumtree or Freecycle as well - I got a drill stand off Freecycle a few years ago which has been really useful.

• Like 1