Why become a member? ×

Ebay offer on something I'm watching - is this new?

LukeFRC

7 minutes ago, taunton-hobbit said:

Not if you've got size 6 feet like me, all mens socks usually are flashed 6 - 11,

which means they flap off the end of the foot - not good.

😎

Do we get to turn this into a foot thread ?

my input is that I tend to wear cheap socks.  Then a friend won a competition with Bridgedale and won a weekend away for them and us... and a load of socks. They really do make a difference, even just padding around work in normal shoes.

obviously few of us are 'just padding around work' at the moment but you get the idea!

21 minutes ago, taunton-hobbit said:

Not if you've got size 6 feet like me, all mens socks usually are flashed 6 - 11,

which means they flap off the end of the foot - not good.

😎

Do we get to turn this into a foot thread ?

I'm the opposite, I'm a size 12 so normal socks tend to get tunnelled through by me!

And yes, I appear to have turned this into a foot thread! Sorry about that.

2 hours ago, Woodinblack said:

They can. If you are selling something, the new thing (ie, the last time I sold something, I don't regularly sell) is eBay will give you a button saying 'Send an offer to your watchers to tempt them into buying, we recommend £nnn' which is probably some scaled value.

So you dont' find out who your watchers are or get to talk to them, but you can send them like a group offer. And I don't think it is only watchers, I think there is a 'you looked at this, there is an offer on it' thing too

What an upside-down way of selling something! I get the idea that you'd not necessarily artificially lower and lower a price until something is sold - because if you did, then the market would become very sensitive to short term fluctuations - but surely, if you're selling something, then you'd offer your lowest price to the widest audience, for the maximum success.

There is no "brand loyalty" with eBay stuff, the vast majority buy whatever item they're interested in, at the lowest price (assuming the same quality of item). A physical shop can build up a loyalty, an online store possibly but less so. But a trading platform such as eBay, not really.

29 minutes ago, paul_c2 said:

What an upside-down way of selling something! I get the idea that you'd not necessarily artificially lower and lower a price until something is sold - because if you did, then the market would become very sensitive to short term fluctuations - but surely, if you're selling something, then you'd offer your lowest price to the widest audience, for the maximum success.

Well, yes, every time I have been offered the option it has been a puzzled 'why would I do that?'. I mean if it gets to the end of the listing and noone offered anything (I normally have an offer on it), then I will assume it is either too much or too uncommon and either list it again lower or not bother.