Why become a member? ×

DHL to ship a bass to Europe?

uk_lefty

Hi everyone. I've done a deal to sell a bass to a chap in Italy. I live near both Parcel Force and DHL depots so I searched both their websites for quotes. Parcel force want over 100 quid. That's what I'm getting for the bass!! The bass is an 80s classic but it needs a LOT of time and or money spent on doing it up. DHL seem to offer postage to Europe from less than £13, is that right? Has anyone used that before? 

I'm packing the bass heftily, will be about an 8kg parcel. There are DHL options at £13, £14, £25 and £138. The most expensive option is air freight the others seem to be road. 

I don't know why but I think the £25 road option seems to be my preferred way... Any opinions welcome! 

the problem is the length. DHL have a length limit which adds a surcharge.

I shipped a bass to the czech republic via Eurosender. I kept the length of the package to 136cm x 49 x25cm.

costed about 60euro, including full insurance up to 2000 pounds. It took a while, there was a bank holiday in the way but it turned up ok

IME Booking through a broker like Interparcel is generally less expensive than going through the courier itself.

If length is a problem (ooh err, matron) have you considered removing the neck?

Edited by TheGreek

31 minutes ago, TheGreek said:

IME Booking through a broker like Interparcel is generally less expensive than going through the courier itself.

If length is a problem (ooh err, matron) have you considered removing the neck?

Thanks Mick, it's a neck thru... Though the previous owner has maybe had a go!