Why become a member? ×

Rehearsal Rooms after June 15th ? ? ?

Chezz55

I have PhD tutorials in a studio at my university, they’re deemed too risky for the foreseeable future, so they’ll continue to be via Zoom or Skype. That’s just two people, the studios are probably about the same size as a small rehearsal studio. We don’t sit close together anyway, but we’d still be in the same enclosed space for a prolonged period; usually an hour and a half. Just sat listening to my work and talking. There’s none of the physical exertion associated with a band playing, people standing up, moving about, singers singing, drummers drumming, sax players saxing etc. It’s madness in my opinion to want to play just yet.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, EMG456 said:

singing or horn blowing

Apparently research before coronavirus era (BCE) shows playing short breath instruments is worst - especially flute (so avoid Ian Anderson, James Galway and Peter Gabriel...) Long horns aren't too bad and singing is supposedly not that bad and the 'touchy feely aspect of choirs is blamed (but see example above which seems to contradict this).

We don't use a practice room but if we did there is no way I'm using one for foreseeable future. We practice at a low level with electronic drums in our guitarists living room and thats going to be difficult starting up again IMO.

12 hours ago, ambient said:

I have PhD tutorials in a studio at my university, they’re deemed too risky for the foreseeable future, so they’ll continue to be via Zoom or Skype. That’s just two people, the studios are probably about the same size as a small rehearsal studio. We don’t sit close together anyway, but we’d still be in the same enclosed space for a prolonged period; usually an hour and a half. Just sat listening to my work and talking. There’s none of the physical exertion associated with a band playing, people standing up, moving about, singers singing, drummers drumming, sax players saxing etc. It’s madness in my opinion to want to play just yet.

My band is bass, drums, piano, and (depending on who turns up) Another 23 trumpet, sax, trombone, clarinet, flute, cornet, tuba etc etc players.

No frakking way am I going into that room for the foreseeable future.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, fretmeister said:

My band is bass, drums, piano, and (depending on who turns up) Another 23 trumpet, sax, trombone, clarinet, flute, cornet, tuba etc etc players.

No frakking way am I going into that room for the foreseeable future.

I don’t blame you, all that wind flying about 😁

if you look at  https://www.germdefence.org/homePage.html

you'll see how you can reduce the risk of catching covid while indoors. It's meant for households but the rules coulds still apply to a rehearsal room, except the problem with these is that usually there are no windows for ventilation. While watching the BBC news after the daily briefing there was an interview with a virology professor who flagged up with site. This info has been developed between three UK universities.  

I doubt that the band I'm in will rehearse until we know we can play some gigs. We had two booked for next weekend, we've lost more than we've played this year.

Rehearsals for most the band involve quite a long drive, we rehearse in Leicester and come from London, Nottingham,  Leeds & Oxford, so the rehearsal needs to be worth that effort.

16 minutes ago, MacDaddy said:

So unless the band all live together, only one person is allowed to be in the rehearsal room!

IMG-20200604-WA0000.jpg

We got that email too. You have to click through to find that point about one person per room. The first page is all 'we are opening!'. The restriction isn't made very obvious to say the least.

Pirate studios are usually unmanned though, so how will they know?

My cunning plan is to hire a generator, ask a local farmer if I can borrow their field, get the whole band to rehearse, in the field, well over 2m apart and Bob's yer uncle!

We could play all day and it would only cost whatever the hire price for the generator was.

We could have a picnic!

Just now, gjones said:

My cunning plan is to hire a generator, ask a local farmer if I can borrow their field, get the whole band to rehearse, in the field, well over 2m apart and Bob's yer uncle!

We could play all day and it would only cost whatever the hire price for the generator was.

We could have a picnic!

Yep, we've had the discussion about who's neighbours would appreciate a free gig most if we did a back garden rehearsal! Mind you, after 10 weeks off the quality might be, erm, variable.....

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, colleya said:

Yep, we've had the discussion about who's neighbours would appreciate a free gig most if we did a back garden rehearsal! Mind you, after 10 weeks off the quality might be, erm, variable.....

My band is having the same discussion. One of our number has access to a large outside space and we're hoping to utilise it.

• Like 1

I'm not sure the typical Pirate studio is big enough too feel comfortable in as a group - you need the A/c on even in winter!

I can see people 'sneaking in' groups, even if they policed by CCTV/microphones (they record your sessions) would anyone take any notice?

4 minutes ago, colleya said:

Here's the original email.

You have to click 'head here for more info' to get to the page that @MacDaddy posted. 

Here's the rest of that secondary page.

Screenshot_20200603-181356.jpg

Screenshot_20200604-105505.jpg

I doubt a shared microphone can be adequately sanitised with a spray.

Would probably need disassembling and having the grill boiled and the foam behind it replaced.

2 hours ago, Stub Mandrel said:

I'm not sure the typical Pirate studio is big enough too feel comfortable in as a group - you need the A/c on even in winter!

I can see people 'sneaking in' groups, even if they policed by CCTV/microphones (they record your sessions) would anyone take any notice?

They don't care and nobody will check. It's just covering their back for when somebody inevitably gets ill and I doubt it will hold up five minutes past the first local health inspector looking at their procedures. 

• Like 2

Our studio has sent us a note giving us the first phase of a 3 part plan for opening which includes:

Only one band per studio per night

Specific numbers per studio dependent upon size.

Kit will be placed so that the 2m rule can be applied

Staff will be cleaning each studio after the nights session

Mike clips and drum parts will be left on

Bands to use their own microphones and leads

Further info to follow.

20 minutes ago, steantval said:

Abbey Road studio has just reopened.

Yeah I saw that on the news last night. They had I think just 40 members of the London Phil playing, rather than the much larger number they’d usually have. Still nice to see though.