Why become a member? ×

Rehearsal Rooms after June 15th ? ? ?

Chezz55

Mornin' all.

Some businesses are re-opening on or about 15 June (presumably with the appropriate social distancing measures)  -  any thoughts as to whether this will include rehearsal rooms and/or recording studios?

Chris

The two-metre guideline only really applies outdoors.  I'm not sure I'd want to be indoors for any extended period of time.

Imagine someone is chain-smoking in your vicinity, and you are concerned about secondhand smoke.  Outdoors, with an infinite supply of fresh, moving air - no problem; but indoors, the whole room will be hot-boxed in no time.

E.g. this article: "Any environment that is enclosed, with poor air circulation and high density of people, spells trouble."  https://www.erinbromage.com/post/the-risks-know-them-avoid-them

I can't remember the last time I went in a practice room that wasn't a hygiene hazard to tell the truth, but I remain sceptical that a small insulated room with high occupant turnover and poor airflow can be made particularly safe. Most sites don't have onsite staff to clean between bands and I can't see it being cost effective for them to do it - Pirate Studios are one of the biggest rehearsal companies in the UK and as far as I can tell the whole thing is run out of one or two central offices with somebody swinging by the units as and when any issues are reported.

13 minutes ago, Stub Mandrel said:

The 2m does apply indoors.

The place we rehearse is big enough we are well over 2m apart normally!

Hopefully we will be able to resume at some point with plenty of separation.

The 2m is for areas with good airflow (ie outdoors) for short spaces of times and when you're inside time in vicinity of an infected person becomes the main factor. If you're in there for 15 minutes you're probably okay; couple of hours and the distance won't make any difference plus you're more likely to pick up a heavier viral load.

Edited by borntohang

The shops that are opening will have to comply with strict health and safety regulations, with only a limited number of people allowed in at a time.

I read somewhere yesterday that pubs and clubs won’t be opening until September at the earliest, again with strict limits on numbers and spacing. 

Even if they did reopen, I’m not sure I’d fancy spending any time at all inside a rehearsal room with other people.

1 hour ago, jrixn1 said:

The two-metre guideline only really applies outdoors.  I'm not sure I'd want to be indoors for any extended period of time.

Imagine someone is chain-smoking in your vicinity, and you are concerned about secondhand smoke.  Outdoors, with an infinite supply of fresh, moving air - no problem; but indoors, the whole room will be hot-boxed in no time.

E.g. this article: "Any environment that is enclosed, with poor air circulation and high density of people, spells trouble."  https://www.erinbromage.com/post/the-risks-know-them-avoid-them

The 2 metre rule applies everywhere, that’s why schools will have reduced class sizes and children sitting at individual desks, rather than at tables.

1 hour ago, Chezz55 said:

Mornin' all.

Some businesses are re-opening on or about 15 June (presumably with the appropriate social distancing measures)  -  any thoughts as to whether this will include rehearsal rooms and/or recording studios?

Chris

No. Stay alert. 

15 minutes ago, borntohang said:

I can't remember the last time I went in a practice room that wasn't a hygiene hazard to tell the truth, but I remain sceptical that a small insulated room with high occupant turnover and poor airflow can be made particularly safe.

Our practice room is about 6m by 12m, it's large enough for a small orchestra to practice in.

They are apparently going to relax the rules about visiting other people’s homes, as long as you’re outside. If they do that, and the neighbours don’t mind, then I guess there’s nothing stopping bands from practicing outdoors in a garden?

10 hours ago, Chezz55 said:

Mornin' all.

Chris

It should be ok if you are using the rehearsal to test your eyesight.

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

Until the published R value comes down substantially I'd be quite dubious about being in an enclosed small soundproof box thats had numerous bodies through it in the preceding 7 days,  with 3 other people struggling to maintain 2m separation for 3 hours. If that means the band want to move on without me then I'll wish them all the best.

• Like 3

52 minutes ago, KevB said:

Until the published R value comes down substantially I'd be quite dubious about being in an enclosed small soundproof box thats had numerous bodies through it in the preceding 7 days,  with 3 other people struggling to maintain 2m separation for 3 hours. If that means the band want to move on without me then I'll wish them all the best.

That’s my opinion too. 

I have a luthier/guitarist friend with a workshop on an industrial park about 5 minutes drive from my home. This evening we'll be taking advantage of the good weather and the fact there are no residents nearby to upset and will be getting together for a bit of a jam in the carpark outside his unit.

I think it'll genuinely be hugely beneficial for my mental wellbeing and I'm really looking forward to it but if it was going to be in an enclosed space I wouldn't be taking the risk right now, even if the regulations were to change to allow it. 

My regular rehearsal room is open and taking bookings - I even got a call from them asking if we still intended to rehearse as per our booking for last Thursday. It baffles me how they can open, except that if you are a professional band, you could argue that rehearsal is work, and provided you enforce a 2m rule its OK.

They have a limited number of rooms open.

Anyone thinking of practicing indoors should read the erinbromage link posted earlier. Singing is particularly bad.

From the article.......

Choir: The community choir in Washington State. Even though people were aware of the virus and took steps to minimize transfer; e.g. they avoided the usual handshakes and hugs hello, people also brought their own music to avoid sharing, and socially distanced themselves during practice. They even went to the lengths to tell choir members prior to practice that anyone experiencing symptoms should stay home. A single asymptomatic carrier infected most of the people in attendance. The choir sang for 2 1/2 hours, inside an enclosed rehearsal hall which was roughly the size of a volleyball court.

Singing, to a greater degree than talking, aerosolizes respiratory droplets extraordinarily well. Deep-breathing while singing facilitated those respiratory droplets getting deep into the lungs. Two and half hours of exposure ensured that people were exposed to enough virus over a long enough period of time for infection to take place. Over a period of 4 days, 45 of the 60 choir members developed symptoms, 2 died. The youngest infected was 31, but they averaged 67 years old. (corrected link)

No point.

wont be any gigs for a long time.

Hot sweaty dirty rehearsal room with different bands all working hard and breathing hard, then walking into that room, probably with little or no ventilation due to sound proofing. Risk of  high viral load in a small space.

The rooms won’t be scrubbed between each band.

And the studio owned mics will need destroying.

Its a no from me.

• Like 1

To be honest; and I’m going from my personal experience of many, many rehearsal studios over many years here, but I'm genuinely surprised that they’re being allowed to open.

Not meaning to offend anyone, but if people are planning on getting together in a rehearsal studio, then more fool them, because I wouldn’t. They’re not the most hygienic of places at the best of times.

Edited by ambient
  • Like 1

Control Rooms in Brentwood, Essex, are aiming to open 4th July (bring on the fireworks!).
Clean and tidy rooms with air con. I rehearse there with a jazz quartet so the 2-metre rule shouldn't be a problem. I understand they won't be using a couple of their smaller rooms but may be ok for bands up to 5 or 6 members.

Where does the aircon come from/ go to? This is crazy at the moment.

What a lot of folks don't seem to get is that the guidelines are just that- chaos systems like the world don't work in absolutes.

2 metres is a guideline distance that is achievable generally outside. 1 metre wouldn't be as good, 3 metres would be better. Could the virus transfer at 2 metres? Yes- it's unlikely but not impossible.

2 metres apart for several hours in a small enclosed space would count as a close contact for the purposes of contact tracing. If there is singing or horn blowing involved the risk becomes much higher.

I don't honestly expect to be in a rehearsal room or at a gig this year.

• Like 2