Why become a member? ×

'51 P Pup opinions/experience

JohnDaBass

There are quite a number of '51P style bass fans on the Forum and I wondered if it would be helpfull to share opinions and experiences of Pups we have used on Bitsa builds and upgrades?

I have used , very successfully,  Jess Loureiro split P and the Lindy Fralin split P pickups and would recommend both to anyone thinking of using either one. I read on the TB forum a comparison of a $12 Pup with other famous brands and it was very revealing. 

So I just thought perhaps we could compile here some experiences for others  to absorb.  

Edited by JohnDaBass
Spelling

I'm currently building a 54 style P Bass and have ordered a McNelly pickup. I've used quite a few of Tim McNelly's pickups on Teles and a Jazzmaster so I'm confident it'll perform.

https://www.homeoftone.co.uk/collections/bass-pickups/products/mcnelly-p-bass-single-coil-pickup?variant=19320967303

On another forum I was recommended these UK builders

https://www.herrickpickups.com/products/tele-51-bass-single-coil/

http://www.bloodstoneguitarworks.com/shop/bass-pickups

I've no experience of them.

Here's a pic of the build so far.

20200525_203514.jpg

• Like 5

I've tried plenty of 51 single coils.

The Seymour Duncan Antiquity was a nice pickup though quite low output. The Duncan 1/4 lb'er,£80 odd and wave goodbye to your mids .No thanks 😁

Herricks split single and single. Good looking pickups, fairly strong output,nice even response across the strings.

Jess Loureiro's split single is the same,have that fella in my duck egg P-bass.

The old Wilkinson single was a bloody great pickup,think Duncan Antiquity only a wee bit louder. The Roswell, now in the Harley Benton PB-50. Looks weird having 1/4" poles like the Duncan 1/4 lb'er. Lower wire count so it's basically a Duncan 1/4 lb'er only you still have mids 👍

The £8 Chinese alnico 5 ? Another louder Antiquity 😄 A real eye opener that had me question single coils with £80 price tags 🤣 The folks making these don't have advertising costs NAMM booths to pay for which might explain the difference .

Current favourite is Bloodstone Guitarworks. The 51 staggered pole impressed me so when I fancied a change I had a word with Dave . The change was another split single only this time overwound. Overwound to 29.9k ohm to be exact 😱 An out of the ordinary request and a bit of a challenge. Lucky me, Dave likes a challenge 😁

A completely custom pickup delivered in 4 days. Won't say the price but it was a lot less than anything coming from the USA 😎

Here's the monster next to it's wee cousin 🙂

DSC_0283.thumb.JPG.d13aaf7617fffdd052e33011219c443e.JPG

• Like 3

16 hours ago, police squad said:

I have a seymour duncan stack '51. Sounds nice but because the pole pieces are flat, the E and the G are louder than the A & D.

I find it irritating and have to use a little compression to sort it

Is that the custom shop one which is in the Dusty hill bass?

Just picked one up at a bargain price to pop into an Ash body I am carving up. 

It’s wound to 29.8k so should be a monster.

I would also consider Creamery Pickups in Manchester, Jaime does a 51 P and if it’s owt like his 58 I have, it will be sensational

3 hours ago, Cuzzie said:

Is that the custom shop one which is in the Dusty hill bass?

Just picked one up at a bargain price to pop into an Ash body I am carving up. 

It’s wound to 29.8k so should be a monster.

I would also consider Creamery Pickups in Manchester, Jaime does a 51 P and if it’s owt like his 58 I have, it will be sensational

it was the one Sting used in his 57 only his is wired in parallel. I wire it in series.

It says, 'Stinger' on the bottom

9 minutes ago, police squad said:

it was the one Sting used in his 57 only his is wired in parallel. I wire it in series.

It says, 'Stinger' on the bottom

How did you get it ?

Seymour Duncan won't sell direct to the EU and their "International Dealers" link is a blank page.

BTW my Bloodstone 29.9k version is in series too, never saw the point of a split single going parallel.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, kodiakblair said:

How did you get it ?

Seymour Duncan won't sell direct to the EU and their "International Dealers" link is a blank page.

BTW my Bloodstone 29.9k version is in series too, never saw the point of a split single going parallel.

I got it 7 years ago. Maybe they dont bring it in anymore, I dont know. But it was a custom shop job, and quite expensive IIRC

39 minutes ago, police squad said:

I got it 7 years ago. Maybe they dont bring it in anymore, I dont know. But it was a custom shop job, and quite expensive IIRC

There's some guff about "radiation/wiring regs" but I think the real reason is SD's No Returns policy doesn't hold water in the EU 😀

Once I saw the price then estimated postage,allowed for VAT,import tax and lousy exchange rates it was a relief to spot the no EU sales 😄

2 hours ago, kodiakblair said:

There's some guff about "radiation/wiring regs" but I think the real reason is SD's No Returns policy doesn't hold water in the EU 😀

Once I saw the price then estimated postage,allowed for VAT,import tax and lousy exchange rates it was a relief to spot the no EU sales 😄

to be honest, what you have probably sounds the same (if it's made the same)

On 27/05/2020 at 23:05, kodiakblair said:

I've tried plenty of 51 single coils.

The Seymour Duncan Antiquity was a nice pickup though quite low output. The Duncan 1/4 lb'er,£80 odd and wave goodbye to your mids .No thanks 😁

Herricks split single and single. Good looking pickups, fairly strong output,nice even response across the strings.

Jess Loureiro's split single is the same,have that fella in my duck egg P-bass.

The old Wilkinson single was a bloody great pickup,think Duncan Antiquity only a wee bit louder. The Roswell, now in the Harley Benton PB-50. Looks weird having 1/4" poles like the Duncan 1/4 lb'er. Lower wire count so it's basically a Duncan 1/4 lb'er only you still have mids 👍

The £8 Chinese alnico 5 ? Another louder Antiquity 😄 A real eye opener that had me question single coils with £80 price tags 🤣 The folks making these don't have advertising costs NAMM booths to pay for which might explain the difference .

Current favourite is Bloodstone Guitarworks. The 51 staggered pole impressed me so when I fancied a change I had a word with Dave . The change was another split single only this time overwound. Overwound to 29.9k ohm to be exact 😱 An out of the ordinary request and a bit of a challenge. Lucky me, Dave likes a challenge 😁

A completely custom pickup delivered in 4 days. Won't say the price but it was a lot less than anything coming from the USA 😎

Here's the monster next to it's wee cousin 🙂

DSC_0283.thumb.JPG.d13aaf7617fffdd052e33011219c443e.JPG

I'm in a similar boat and just tinkering with a HB i bought years ago, I was thinking about playing around with different pups, but your perfect response may have just saved me some dosh! I really like the Wilkinson pup already in it and was wondering if there was anything more aggressive sounding out there? 

Have you played around with changing anything else in the electronics? 

3 hours ago, Jonesy said:

I really like the Wilkinson pup already in it and was wondering if there was anything more aggressive sounding out there? 

I stuck a Peavey SF in one, being ceramic it was a bit brighter and louder.

That wasn't a planned change,dropped a chisel and the wider SF footprint hid the scar 🤣

There's not much to the electrics, 2 pots and a cap. 1 has a 0.1uf cap but that's the opposite of what you're looking for 🙂

Try swapping the 250K tone pot for a 500k, should add some bite 👍

2 hours ago, kodiakblair said:

I stuck a Peavey SF in one, being ceramic it was a bit brighter and louder.

That wasn't a planned change,dropped a chisel and the wider SF footprint hid the scar 🤣

There's not much to the electrics, 2 pots and a cap. 1 has a 0.1uf cap but that's the opposite of what you're looking for 🙂

Try swapping the 250K tone pot for a 500k, should add some bite 👍

Hahaha, at least it turned out to be a happy accident! Not sure I'm brave enough to dig into the body of this, but I do have a pj body that I'm thinking of putting a MM pup in as the next project.... 

I do like ceramic pups though, do you know if anyone makes a '51 sized one? 

Ta for the advice on the tone pots, I'll give it a go! 

6 minutes ago, Jonesy said:

I do like ceramic pups though, do you know if anyone makes a '51 sized one? 

I've seen a couple use guitar rail pickups, they hid the rails with  gold covers. Looked bloody awful 🤣

Best bet is ask one of the UK lads to build you one. It's much cheaper than you'd think.

• Like 1

On 29/05/2020 at 22:43, kodiakblair said:

I've seen a couple use guitar rail pickups, they hid the rails with  gold covers. Looked bloody awful 🤣

Best bet is ask one of the UK lads to build you one. It's much cheaper than you'd think.

Brill, I'll start with Bloodstone & Herrick as they've had some good mentions, but if you have any others you recommend i'm all ears 😃

• Like 1