Why become a member? ×

The Bangles Michael Steele

la bam

Morning all,

Ended up watching hours and hours of old music last night on Youtube, which from one 80s video to another led to the Bangles and in particular Michael Steele.

Watching various live, studio and promo video performances of them, I dont think ive ever seen a bassist play so many different basses! It was really refreshing, and a hell of a collection for all you bass geeks!

Great Ampeg sound from all the performances too, and great to see all the members playing, harmonising and having their own singing parts too. Michael is really hypnotising to watch.

Got to admit, ive probably under rated these as a band in the past. But they sound great to me.

Edited by la bam

3 hours ago, la bam said:

I dont think ive ever seen a bassist play so many different basses!

Yep, she (apparently) bought my natural finish '63 P around 1986 which I'd put up for sale through Andys in Denmark St. I remember it sold with it's enormous ally flight case included. You could have driven a truck over that thing.

I never saw her use it live, but she did have a natural P with a maple neck around this period also. (mine was a rosewood neck).

Maybe she was always searching for the perfect P bass!  It's a lifetime's work.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, MrDaveTheBass said:

I've read that she was the only Bangle not to be overdubbed by session musicians on their recordings.

That's interesting, always believed it was one of those hits that none of the band played on. 

Have played it live many times at functions and it's always fun. 

Edited by Drax