Why become a member? ×

CTM 300 - which cab? Barefaced?

MattW

Hi All,

I have an Ashdown CTM 300 arriving tomorrow (exciting!), and am contemplating getting a Barefaced Cab to go with it based on trying them out at the guitar and bass show last year.  Just wondered if anyone has any recommendations on a suitable model?

There is a used Super 12 available from another member locally which I am seriously considering, but wondered what others were using, Barefaced or otherwise?

Also is it possible to use a Super 12 or any Barefaced cabs on their side?  I have concerns that the CTM300 will overhang and be unstable using them "upright" given its size!

Any advice would be appreciated!

Cheers,

Matt

I can only go by my CTM100 experience, but yes Barefaced cabs sound amazing. I use 2 15s (Compact I think they're called) in landscape mode.. The amp fits perfectly and the sound is splendid. 

Congrats on the impending arrival 

Edited by stewblack
  • Thanks 1

Just a curve ball, but I have a CTM300 and use it with a Laney N410. Theres one for sale on ebay right now for £185 in London. I'd snatch their hand off if I lived closer.

I definitely recommend a high quality, lightweight cab. But with as many speakers as possible - 4x10, 6x10 - you just get 'more' using that style of cab with a big valve amp, than a single 12, and itll feel safer on top.

The Laney weighs around 23kg pretty much the same weight as the equivalent Barefaced 4x10. They're also a lot more solid than the super compact etc.

• Thanks 1

I used a CTM 100 for a while with the retro series barefaced (610 and 210). Worked really well for vintage/ dirty type tones. I also used it with a barefaced 215 which was also pretty good. I'm now using a Matamp with the retro series. I went through the Gen 2 and 3 barefaced cabs including Big Twin2 etc and the retro series are my preferred cab.

Tbh - I think that amp will make most decent cabs shine - great purchase, hope you enjoy it

• Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, BruceBass3901 said:

Waiting for @Merton to come along and lend some assistance here!

You called? 😎

Personally I'd look for a Four10 or Six10 perhaps. The CTM will overhang all other cabs and if you're like me that will set your OCD going wild. Also, having gigged my CTM100 with both the Super Compact and Four10 I can safely say the 10s range works better with the CTM voicing.

@Lozz196 makes a good shout regarding the Ashdown EVO IV cabs, they do feel like a step up from the older ABM cabs to my cloth ears.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, stewblack said:

Wasn't picking you up on that mate, it was the 'all other cabs' , I genuinely wondered if the 300 might be wider

Oh yeah - my generalisation of "all other cabs" meaning only the 12" range, apologies :)

I think the 300 is a little wider TBH but not much.

Thanks all, really interesting, appreciate the input.  I have an ABM Evo IV 210 that I was intending to use to start with, might even be best just to add another!?  Or Thomann have the 115h compact at a silly price at the moment.  Ideally want to avoid larger cab sizes than that due to the narrowness of my stairs at home, so perhaps I need to go modular if the consensus is that more drivers are best!

The 300 is apparently waiting for me at home, so as soon as I get home from work I'll be trying it out.

The 100 and 300 are pretty much the same height and length but the 300 is deeper according to Ashdowns specs.

28 minutes ago, Merton said:

I think the 300 is a little wider TBH but not much.

As far as I know, Ashdown''s ''Full Size'' heads (CTM, ABM900/1200) are all the same width as their cabs, so there is some uniformity.

Edited by BruceBass3901
  • Like 2

Well the fun didn't last long!  Amp is clearly faulty, sounds pants, no output showing on tubes 2, 3 or 6 & tube 2 isn't even glowing.  Plus there is evidence of previous use, it didn't come with any original packing or paperwork, I suspect it's ex demo or a return.  Packed back up and refund requested 😭

• Sad 2

1 minute ago, MattW said:

Well the fun didn't last long!  Amp is clearly faulty, sounds pants, no output showing on tubes 2, 3 or 6 & tube 2 isn't even glowing.  Plus there is evidence of previous use, it didn't come with any original packing or paperwork, I suspect it's ex demo or a return.  Packed back up and refund requested 😭

Was this from PMT?