Why become a member? ×

First Flats

Si600

I'm putting flats on my P-Bass, in fact the first flats on any bass I've owned this weekend.

Are there any things I need to do/change or is it the same as changing like for like?

D'addario Chrome's if that helps.

I use Chromes on my Precision and absolutely love them. Their quite bright for flats but this can easily be sorted by using the tone control depending on what sort of sound you are looking for.

I always cut the strings on my basses whether flats or rounds. granted, on the G that's only about an inch or so but I still do it

• Like 1

If you think they feel odd at first, kind of grippy and a bit rough, not like the silky smooth flats you'd heard about, don't worry. Just keep playing and they'll improve over time. Chromes can feel like this to start with. 

🙂

Before fitting flats, get a cotton pad with IPA or Surgical Spirits, even Meths and rub all the crap off before fitting, Mostly machine oils from the manufacturing process, but they'll feel a whole lot better, so will your fingers.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, KiOgon said:

get a cotton pad with IPA or Surgical Spirits, even Meths

Good advice there, I’ve only ever used flats from the early 80s and some brands can feel a bit tacky, I’ve found labella’s are ok , but I tried fender flats and they were almost sticky but a quick wipe with alcohol wipes and they were fine. 

That didn't go as smoothly as I'd hoped, the ball end winding on the B string is too big for the hole in the bridge, either top loaded or through strung. I had to cut it off.

They do sound nice though. It's settling at the moment, retune and more play later.

On 26/05/2020 at 19:49, Si600 said:

I'm putting flats on my P-Bass, in fact the first flats on any bass I've owned this weekend.

Are there any things I need to do/change or is it the same as changing like for like?

D'addario Chrome's if that helps.

Truss rod adjustment, action at the bridge, action at the nut and then intonation. Anytime you change string gauges, brand or type will require a full set-up. 

Just change the strings and see what you need to do next. When I replaced the DR Lo-Riders with GHS flats on my Mike Lull PJ5 I didn't have to change anything. And I didn't have to change anything when I replaced the GHS strings with TI flats.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

On 31/05/2020 at 20:25, Maude said:

If you think they feel odd at first, kind of grippy and a bit rough, not like the silky smooth flats you'd heard about, don't worry. Just keep playing and they'll improve over time. Chromes can feel like this to start with. 

🙂

Yeah, the sticky feel goes quickly.