Why become a member? ×

nHBd

stewblack

So another sale prompts another purchase. I thought what are the three big no-no's for me. 

1) Maple board

2) Active electronics 

3) That Stingray I had. 

So I went for all three. And it is unreal. Utterly sublime. 

IMG_20200526_190717.jpg

IMG_20200526_185357.jpg

IMG_20200526_185419.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I got one of the 5 string versions at Deko pricing (about £75) when I wanted to see if I liked 5 strings after not having one for years. It was brilliant and only replaced as a Sub 5er came up at a stupid price. 

Only thing is the bridge is really far up the body so its a big bass. 

Yeah it looks decent. I've got a couple of 24 fret basses and never get that high, as long as I can get to the 21st easily i'm not bothered (really hard on Precisions and Jazzes).

Perhaps they wanted to make it even more different to the standard Stingray copies to avoid any moaning from EBMM.

On 26/05/2020 at 19:13, stewblack said:

So another sale prompts another purchase. I thought what are the three big no-no's for me. 

1) Maple board

2) Active electronics 

3) That Stingray I had. 

So I went for all three. And it is unreal. Utterly sublime. 

IMG_20200526_190717.jpg

IMG_20200526_185357.jpg

IMG_20200526_185419.jpg

I was just about to pull the trigger on either one of these or the 5 ......... Only discontinued em by the look of it 😮😥

Gutted. 

8 minutes ago, P-Belly Evans said:

I was just about to pull the trigger on either one of these or the 5 ......... Only discontinued em by the look of it 😮😥

Gutted. 

There is something weird going on with HB basses. Thomann seem to be bringing out endless guitars right now but their basses are either vanishing from the site or have really long wait times. 

I don't know if Covid is a factor, that's what I first assumed. Maybe I'll message them and ask. 

I will have nothing to spend my money on if they don't get jiggy with more basses soon. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, stewblack said:

There is something weird going on with HB basses. Thomann seem to be bringing out endless guitars right now but their basses are either vanishing from the site or have really long wait times. 

I don't know if Covid is a factor, that's what I first assumed. Maybe I'll message them and ask. 

I will have nothing to spend my money on if they don't get jiggy with more basses soon. 

I can play the long game if necessary. I have enough toys to keep me busy. I just have no active or 5 ers in my hareem and 170 quid seems fair dincum to dip my toe in. I do hope they haven't discontinued em though. 

52 minutes ago, stewblack said:

I'd be surprised. The cheaper option is this one which I didn't even consider until very recently. I thought it looked a bit unremarkable. But my goodness it plays and sounds really nice.

Much prefer the look of the stingray copy but could be swayed by playability. Has one got a sleeker neck for example. I will have a look at the specs later. Those active Ibanez 5ers for around 250 look pretty good too. 170 odd for an active five string is just too cheap to argue with though, as I may hate active and 5 strings. Although I have just been playing my fretless (granted with all the distortion, delay and phaser I could muster) and I actually enjoyed it for a while!