Why become a member? ×

1978 Tokai Hard Puncher Precision - *SOLD*
£750
Bolton

Pow_22

I thought of any other of my bass stuff to sell to fund either an SVT or V4B but this is the one with the most value in it and that is used the least.

A stunning 1978 Tokai Hard Puncher precision bass in 3 tone sunburst, black guard, ash body and maple neck with original japanese hardcase and original japanese case candy/hang tags.

Comes fitted with an upgraded junction box type wiring harness and a Seymore Duncan SPB-1. Fitted with flatwounds and sounding every bit like a 70’s p bass should.

Has all the expected age wear with the chrome bridge and tuners nicely pitted but fully functions and nice surface wear (real not reliced) but no major dings or dongs. 

Could do with a set up, the D and A have a few choked notes right up at the dusty end but I dont really venture up there but want to mention it.  I had planned to take it to Jacks Instrument Services in Manchester before the lockdown.

Collection would be from Bolton (or meet ups possible) where she can be tested. Not really keen on posting as i really want any buyer to see and play the bass in the flesh. Trade/part ex wise id consider an Ampeg V4B valve head  or at a push an SVT-VR but cash is king.

4429431E-812E-4877-9ABE-9A94F6D98FC0.jpeg

2F0690AD-C8E3-4818-A6D8-E91765EA3D38.jpeg

B831B32F-23B7-4F00-A0D4-ED5FFA24E56C.jpeg

E519F167-8575-4ED4-BAC2-A6D670082C74.jpeg

8C6B56EC-64C1-4C63-A334-84EA5CA9AF2A.jpeg

1D06A432-3265-4591-AFAB-D04D52705B81.jpeg

E50ECE68-EE1B-4F75-9C43-4C2D5A6CFA47.jpeg

6076A242-4DEB-4929-8C45-F69FF3AC6C71.jpeg

6FB53F4D-4382-4E17-BA09-A43017C103CB.jpeg

5D384B13-B602-4239-AAF9-0F3FA461E78C.jpeg

49B60978-2A18-4FE2-A03A-663696A7D14D.jpeg

CBA4BFF4-A6D4-477E-9538-277B1B6AC395.jpeg

Edited by Pow_22
  • Like 19

Its been brought to my attention (not on here I might add) that ive overpriced this.  Ive tried to find other examples in UK with same details but struggling.  As such ive price dropped a little to £675 and will still keep the trade/part-ex option open on a V4B

Edited by Pow_22
  • Like 1

This looks lovely...shame about the postage as I’m too far south to venture up for testing (even with such poor eyesight 😉)

what is the front to back neck depth? Would you consider courier collection?

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, MrT-Bass said:

This looks lovely...shame about the postage as I’m too far south to venture up for testing (even with such poor eyesight 😉)

what is the front to back neck depth? Would you consider courier collection?

Hi,

I can try and get the neck depth dimensions but I don't have those digital caliper type things (rally should invest actually).  I can potentially do courier.  I have plenty of bubble warp for the bass but no box for the hardcase, being an original hardcase id like to protect that too

Definitely deep. Its a thinner neck width wise than my Fender Classic 50’s but certainly deeper.  Ill see what i can do measurement wise tonight and get back to you

• 2 weeks later...

Price drop to £650 and an update on the strings.  The bass was wearing Olympia flats but last night the G snapped at the tuner.  So i strung her up with a used set of my fave Elites flats and the difference is fantastic. More thump and a bit more ‘open’. Sounded great through my Ampeg B50R

• 2 weeks later...

The offer i had accepted from the 'gone quiet/never showed up' buyer was £625, happy to accept same offer from other BCers (accepted offer was via facebook marketplace i must ad, never encountered such timewasting on here)

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Pow_22 said:

The offer i had accepted from the 'gone quiet/never showed up' buyer was £625, happy to accept same offer from other BCers (accepted offer was via facebook marketplace i must ad, never encountered such timewasting on here)

I hate it when people mess about like that I've not used Facebook market place but most people I know who have say it's a nightmare with messers 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Pow_22 said:

I offered 3 telecaster pickguards on Facebook for free, provided the first person to claim them paid the postage (£3). A guy has been telling me for four days now that he's going to PayPal me the money. Still hasn't done it. Facebook is the worst selling platform by quite a distance.

Edited by Jono Bolton

47 minutes ago, miles'tone said:

Hi, did you find out the weight yet? Thanks.

Yes, sorry I forgot to update the ad.  Using luggage scales and hanging the bass by its strap im getting a gnats hair over 10lb give or take for the crude method

AC79B358-BBB5-4E7B-A3E4-DC4B7987E384.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

On 28/05/2020 at 13:26, Pow_22 said: I can potentially do courier.  I have plenty of bubble warp for the bass but no box for the hardcase, being an original hardcase id like to protect that too

Bike shops can’t get rid of boxes and packing materials quickly enough at the minute.

I hate P basses but I do have a Hard puncher and I think it sounds great sadly I never play it but would like to give it to my youngest when he is old enough or sell it they can only go up in value I guess glwts

Edited by Thunderbird
  • Like 1

On 28/05/2020 at 16:36, Pow_22 said:

Definitely deep. Its a thinner neck width wise than my Fender Classic 50’s but certainly deeper.  Ill see what i can do measurement wise tonight and get back to you

Sorry to reply with no buying intentions ATM (besides upping the thread) but I'm really curious: as a C50s owner, what are the main tone differences you find between the two, if you had to describe them?

• MB1 locked this topic