Why become a member? ×

online rehearsals with free software

NHM

Internet lag means it's horrible if everyone wants to hear everyone else.

If you are all just listening to the drummer and not each other it's ok IF the drummer doesn't need to hear you - but if you listen to drummer and it takes 5ms (if you are really lucky)  to get the signal to you, then it's another 10ms for your sound to get back to the drummer. He then shifts his playing slightly to match yours, then 5ms later you shift again to match him... etc etc

It's a horrible mess. The web just isn't fast enough.

It is actually possible to jam online in real time. 

For the past week we've been using Jamulus with a full band - incl horns. No audible latency and totally natural to play. Just last night we all jumped online for an hour - worked really well.. so great to be able to play again. 

Sound quality is good - occassional glitches as you'd expect but nothing obtrusive. I was hugely sceptical prior but now a total convert. 

It can't fully replace 'in person' rehearsals for this group, but can see us using it as a really useful tool. Another byproduct of the current madness that might shift some parts of our lives for the better. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Drax said:

It is actually possible to jam online in real time. 

For the past week we've been using Jamulus with a full band - incl horns. No audible latency and totally natural to play. Just last night we all jumped online for an hour - worked really well.. so great to be able to play again. 

Sound quality is good - occassional glitches as you'd expect but nothing obtrusive. I was hugely sceptical prior but now a total convert. 

It can't fully replace 'in person' rehearsals for this group, but can see us using it as a really useful tool. Another byproduct of the current madness that might shift some parts of our lives for the better. 

Wow.

I thought I'd tried everything but I wasn't aware of that one. I'll try it.

Thank you.

45 minutes ago, fretmeister said:

Wow.

I thought I'd tried everything but I wasn't aware of that one. I'll try it.

Thank you.

Worth saying it's not the most 'plug and play' , does take some setting up. The one main difference from other apps has been using wired ethernet connection, not wifi. 

Feel free to drop me a PM if you get stuck..  I'm not the main techy one in the band but can bore you with the detail of how we got there :)

• Like 1

On 26/05/2020 at 16:48, NHM said:

Anyone rehearsing online using free software? I've had a look at Jamkazam and Jamulus - are there others? Any recommendations from those that have gone before...?

Yep. I mentioned these two in another thread but didn't get any responses. We tried Jamkazam for a while but have settled on Jamulus. Yesterday we had a full rehearsal with drums, bass, kb and sax. It was doable. The drummer has to adapt slightly and it's not going to be tight for fast funk. It works for medium to slow numbers. We were playing jazz but rock would probably work very well because the drummer can lay down a firm beat. There were times with the session before where I couldn't tell what the drummer was playing, if he got too fussy. Jamulus does most of the hard work of balancing latency with buffer size for you. In theory you could use your pc mic and earphone mini jack straight into the machine, but it works better with an interface and definitely with an ethernet. It's a free, simple program that does not use up a lot of space. There is a jamulus community on fb and they put together full jams with people from all over. Server rooms are available and people can come and listen to your jam or play along. You can also mute anybody you don't want to hear!

thanks for all the tips. I too thought Jamulus looked the easier of the two to use and we had planned a rehearsal for last Weds but ended up not doing it 'cos one of the band had to work. Hopefully this Weds...