Why become a member? ×

Recommendations for best cable to use with your bass?

tvickey

19 hours ago, Al Krow said:

Anyone using "locking" 1/4" jacks on their cables, if so what do you recommend? Or are folk generally just looping their lead around their straps to stop them yanking out mid set?

Loop through the strap. I had a couple of basses with locking sockets... it seemed like a good idea until I used them. Not for me.

7 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Please do elaborate on why it didn't work out with them?

For anyone who does have the locking sockets (like anyone with the new EHB ibanezes), you can take the springs out and then they are just like normal sockets, but it means you can put them back to as they were before if you wanted when selling, and you dont' have to replace the socket.

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

Please do elaborate on why it didn't work out with them?

I didn't feel I gained anything, I never need to hang my bass from the cable. However I forgot *many times* that it was locking, and I'd be absent-mindedly talking to someone while pulling on the plug. It's not that it makes the instrument unusable, but it adds an extra layer of faff that I don't see a reason for. But the main reason for me, is that I prefer to have a system where if you pull accidentally, it'll give way before it snaps. Looping through the strap protects the plug/socket enough and the slack in the loop seems to offer enough leeway, I think. Beyond that, I prefer if the plug can come off rather than continue to offer resistance until it breaks.

All those are considerations that don't really seem to have a huge impact, but I fail to see the advantages of locking sockets. I never gave them much thought, and when I got a bass that came with one I said "oh goody!", but hated it pretty soon. 

Are you considering using them? What is it that you're hoping they will improve?

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, mcnach said:

All those are considerations that don't really seem to have a huge impact, but I fail to see the advantages of locking sockets. I never gave them much thought, and when I got a bass that came with one I said "oh goody!", but hated it pretty soon. 

Totally agree, I had that with the EHB. Its there on the spec list and I thought 'ooh that is good'. Took no time at all to dislike them and by the time the bass had to go back I absolutely hated them. First thing that goes if it ever comes back!

• Like 1