Why become a member? ×

Recommendations for best cable to use with your bass?

tvickey

I'm disappointed with the cable brand that I'm currently using with my bass (turned out not to be robust and now gives a crackle occasionally when I move around). 

I'm wondering: What is the best cable out there?  Looking for recommendations... low noise and long-lasting!

Have been using one of these for many years, quality cable and plugs, good strong cloth covered, excellent copper conductors, highly recommended.

Not especially from this seller, the first one that came up, were available on Amazon IIRC.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/i/153724100790?chn=ps&norover=1&mkevt=1&mkrid=710-134428-41853-0&mkcid=2&itemid=153724100790&targetid=877514743599&device=c&mktype=pla&googleloc=9045117&poi=&campaignid=9437741753&mkgroupid=97371651778&rlsatarget=pla-877514743599&abcId=1140496&merchantid=101751147&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIuKqon4vS6QIVmK3tCh2lfQKhEAQYDCABEgLc6fD_BwE

• Thanks 1

I use newer 15' Fender Deluxe Series Instrument Cable Tweed;

sturdy, sounds as good or better than Mogami and Planet Waves I have and is anti curl/kink.

Use Fender for Bass to Amp; 

20' Mogami from EFX send out to powered monitor for drummer and checking sound in club during setup;                             

10' Planet waves for tuner out

Both Mogomi and planet waves were main cable Bass to Amp at one time.

• Thanks 1

I love the look of the fender leads but would never gig one. Everyone I know personally who has gigged one has had it fail. They have a lifetime warrantee, the guitarist in my band is on his 3rd. I am only on my second as it doesn't leave the house.

i am generally wireless but I use no name leads made with nuetrik zero switch plugs and van damm leads, in a variety of colours that I get off eBay.

i do also have a whirlwind cable I knocked in 1994!

• Thanks 1

My Fender tweed instrument cable must be at least 5 years old.  It's been gigged several times a month for that time and hasn't failed so far.  I do always carry a spare though. 😉

Frank.

Edited by machinehead
spelling
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, machinehead said:

My Fender tweed instrument cable must be at least 5 years old.  It's been gigged several times a month for that time and hasn't failed so far.  I do always carry a spare though. 😉

Yeh, when I have mentioned it on here I have heard tell of people who actually have had one that didn't break. Still putting it down to an urban legend though - I wouldn't take one as my only lead if I was going to my spare room to practice!

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, A.G.E.N.T.E. said:

maybe not the "best" or the most famous cable brand, but like cordial cables with neutrick plugs. Good quality cables, Inexpensive, and well built. 

I was involved professionally in the cable business for a few years and can confirm that Neutrik plugs are the business. I wouldn't contemplate anything else. If I needed a new cable, that would be the first thing I'd look for.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Bigguy2017 said:

Neutrik jacks - black ideally, one straight, one right angled.

I have one of those, except the right angle is red as it is a zero switch one. However, right angle sockets not so useful on Ibanez SRs!

7 minutes ago, Bigguy2017 said:

Make it up yourself or use   designacable  or custom-lynx  on eBay

I think both of my regular backup giging ones (and practice ones) come from custom-lynx

• Thanks 1

My first bass teacher said, that the reliable cable is one part of my instrument.

I have used Neutrik plugs (and XLRs) and silicone cables since late 80's. They just work. Build once, use always. I have had zero issues with them. Many of my playing or singing friends have asked me to build cables for them, too. Cable does not have to cost a fortune, but the parts have to be top notch.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

And Neutrik connectors can be re-used; many times if your soldering is tidy.

I do a lot of AV installs which start with rip-outs, so I have a ready supply of second hand jacks and XLRs.

I have about half a bucket full... great when you need to bodge a cable together in a hurry...

Edited by Bigguy2017
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Woodinblack said:

I love the look of the fender leads but would never gig one. Everyone I know personally who has gigged one has had it fail. They have a lifetime warrantee, the guitarist in my band is on his 3rd. I am only on my second as it doesn't leave the house.

i am generally wireless but I use no name leads made with nuetrik zero switch plugs and van damm leads, in a variety of colours that I get off eBay.

i do also have a whirlwind cable I knocked in 1994!

I saw on Youtube Review Fender has upgraded its deluxe cable a couple years ago;  addressing failures 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Nebadon2000 said:

I saw on Youtube Review Fender has upgraded its deluxe cable a couple years ago;  addressing failures 

Well, thats good, they certainly needed to, but as my guitarists replaced replaced replacement lead failed last year (after 4 months), I think I will stick with the ones from ebay that are cheaper and have never let me down.

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Woodinblack said:

Well, thats good, they certainly needed to, but as my guitarists replaced replaced replacement lead failed last year (after 4 months), I think I will stick with the ones from ebay that are cheaper and have never let me down.

FYI  for Guitar player if bought Fender Custom Shop tweed they have been discontinued for Deluxe series; upgraded as I posted before.

Not trying to excuse Fender for previous problems, hopefully your guitar player bought 'Ebay' Cables and is happy and got a couple extra pints with money saved.

I bought Fender Deluxe series seemed well built, don't kink, reasonable value and I like the way they look [yellow tweed] can see in dark😀

• Thanks 1